PDA

View Full Version : WWYD- would you buy a used comforter off ebay?

gatorsmom
06-27-2007, 01:52 PM
Update************
Good news! I won't have to roll around in someone else's "dirt." One of the Croscill outlets had a full, irregular comforter in the Cotswold pattern. So, I can take that comforter and piece it together with my queen size to make a king size (I hope). I know this sounds so unimportant but it's just one more afternoon that I can nap instead of going out shopping for a new comforter to match my bedroom, of all things.

Thanks for your suggestions everyone!

Here's my dilemna. I"m looking for a Croscill comforter that matches my master bedroom- the paint, the window coverings, everything. But the pattern (Cotswold) is discontinued and hard to find. I found 2 Cotswold comforters on ebay but they are both used. (We decorated our bedroom around this pattern 5 years ago. The comforter fits our queen-sized bed but we are changing to a king size bed now that the twins are coming.)

I was thinking I could buy the newest, least used one and maybe have the outside fabric dry cleaned and restuff the comforter with new stuffing.

We don't actually use the comforters on our bed- they are really just to to make the room look nice during the day. At night we take the comforter off.

I have looked a bit online for another comforter that would match our room but I just can't find anything. Frankly, I don't have much energy or time to devote to this and am tempted to just take a chance on a used one (although in many ways it gives me the heeby-jeebies).

So, what would you do?

Lisa
Mom to Gator July 2003
And Cha-Cha July 2005
and surprise! twins due 11/07!

kelly ann
06-27-2007, 02:29 PM
I don't know about buying used off of ebay :(

I would do one of two things...

Either buy a solid comforter to match the curtains/paint or take the $ you were going to spend on the King comforter and try to find a deal on a whole new set at a local discount store or department store. If you just don't feel like roaming the stores for something suitable (been there :) ), then try surfing www.overstock.com for some good bedding deals. If you do find a new set without curtains to match, then you can just buy solid curtains.

Good Luck!

Sillygirl
06-27-2007, 03:06 PM
Ew, I wouldn't. Google an image of "dust mite" and I don't think you would either. To paraphrase our recent home inspection, "Sleep in your own dirt, not somebody else's."

alexsmommy
06-27-2007, 03:12 PM
I don't know if its the right one, but I was looking for something else for DSD and saw this in the JCP outlet

http://tinyurl.com/2bvmsc

Alaina
Alex Feb '03
and #2 in early summer '07

Mommy Of A Little Angel
06-27-2007, 05:02 PM
Honestly, no. I am skeeved out by used clothes so there is no way I would buy a used comforter. I am just a bit crazy in that respect though!

crayonblue
06-27-2007, 05:50 PM
No, I wouldn't buy a used comforter. I would always be thinking of those CSI shows where they look for body fluids with a blacklight. Sorry!

gatorsmom
06-27-2007, 05:50 PM
Thanks for looking! that was sweet of you. Unfortunately, it's not a Waverly pattern, it's a Croscill pattern. I had such high hopes!!! (the background of mine is a coral color which is what we painted the bedroom- this one has a cream color so I'm not sure it would match).

Lisa
Mom to Gator July 2003
And Cha-Cha July 2005

gatorsmom
06-27-2007, 05:52 PM
Ugh, I thought of that too. But then I started thinking if I had it dry cleaned twice, maybe I could forget about that.....

Lisa
Mom to Gator July 2003
And Cha-Cha July 2005

miki
06-27-2007, 07:20 PM
I wouldn't buy one used. Have you considered finding a nice solid colored fabric to match and having enough sewn on to frame the queen sized to enlarge it to king sized?

karolyp
06-27-2007, 09:04 PM
just e-mail the outlets and see if they have any left. the e-mail addys are listed on their site, and if they do have something, they will ship. i know because i've done this to find peices of their st james pattern which was also discontinued. and i've done this to find irregulars (which are about 70-90% off retail and most of the time the flaw cant even be seen)!

hth and good luck!

gatorsmom
06-27-2007, 10:48 PM
hey, that's a great idea. I was against finding a solid color comforter to match the room because solid colors show spots/lint/etc but if it was just a border that wouldn't be too bad. Thanks for the suggestion!

Lisa
Mom to Gator July 2003
And Cha-Cha July 2005

gatorsmom
06-27-2007, 10:52 PM
I emailed all the Croscill outlets a little while ago. Gosh, it would be soooo nice if I could just find a king size Croscill Cotswold comforter. It would make life so much easier.

Lisa
Mom to Gator July 2003
And Cha-Cha July 2005

Tondi G
06-28-2007, 12:05 AM
I would either have a border sewn on it or I would just use the queen sized comforter on top of a king sized blanket that is a color that goes well with the set. A queen size will just cover the top... won't hang over the sides that much but since you are not using at night and won't be fighting over the covers for warmth it will do the trick. It'll still look "nice" during the day.

I don't know about you but I don't often have people in my bedroom during the day so it would only be DH and I seeing it on a regular basis!

~Tondi

JoyNChrist
06-28-2007, 01:41 AM
Okay, I guess I'm in the minority here, but at the risk of sounding gross, I wouldn't have a problem buying a used comforter off eBay.

You can have it cleaned, and it's not like you're going to be sleeping on it - it's just for show. I know it's touching your other bedding, but if you have it cleaned first, I don't see a problem with it.

I guess I don't consider it much different than buying used clothing...I mean, I know that dry-cleaning a comforter isn't the same as washing clothes in a washing machine, but I think it's sufficient for something you won't actually be sleeping on/under. If it will really save the look of your bedroom, I say go for it. Do you ever sleep in hotels? The bedding there has been used by who-knows-how-many people.

But, then again, I'm not much of a germ-a-phobe, so maybe other people's standards are higher than mine.