PDA

View Full Version : Which extracurricular activity?

CBB
06-28-2007, 11:42 AM
DD is starting preschool on July 1st. There are a few extracurricular activities that we can sign up (for additonal fee). There are: yoga, soccer, karate and swimming. I've pretty much decided against swimming because they have to transport the toddlers via bus and I just don't feel that safe about it. I would much rather take DD to swimming class myself. I'm kind of leaning towards soccer. What kind of extracurricular activities are your preschooler involved in?

megs4413
06-28-2007, 11:45 AM
i have way intense views on this...i would go for yoga.

hopefully my DD 9(who isn't quite old enough yet) will do swimming...but like you, i'd like to take her to lessons myself.

SnuggleBuggles
06-28-2007, 12:05 PM
I was going to pick swimming till I read you concerns. I just think that is the most fun.

I would be interested to hear how the activities will be run. Are they age appropriate? Like for soccer, do they stress team play, fun and just learning the basics or is it really competitive?

My preschooler has done gymnastics, swimming and sports class. Gymnastics was the favorite. :)

I think the choice will have to depend on what your dd is like. DOes she like to run around and play sports? Would she prefer something more calming like yoga? Does she have the interest and temperament for karate?

I'd pick karate or soccer probably. Karate will probably teach some good behaviors and skills. Soccer would be fun.

Beth

gatorsmom
06-28-2007, 12:43 PM
We have DS1 (who will be 4yr in a few weeks) in summer preschool and swimming plus some playgroups which he loves. I insisted he start swimming lessons this summer since we spend a lot of time in our boat. And I've always wanted to get the entire family into karate for fitness, self defense and self esteem reasons (as a matter of fact, I've started looking into for next spring).

Gymnastics seems like it would accomplish the same thing as yoga at this age and would be more fun. Soccer is a great way to socialize so if your DD doesn't have many of those opportunities, it would be great for that.

Sillygirl
06-28-2007, 12:57 PM
Is preschool going to be a big change for her or has she been spending her days with a lot of kids already? If she's been at home with you, maybe just preschool is enough.

If you really lean towards swimming, I think transporting your toddler on a bus is much, much safer than you driving them there yourself. Buses are so big, they offer enormous protection.

candybomiller
06-28-2007, 01:44 PM
How about you just ask her what she wants to do?

babyready
06-28-2007, 02:07 PM
Eek. You never rode on any of the buses I had in school! I feared for my life on a regular basis. Plus those videos of buses tipping and all the kids slamming against the other side are etched into my brain. Buses freak me out!

To OP: Soccer sounds the most fun to me!

Sillygirl
06-28-2007, 02:29 PM
We have a ton of carseat experts on this board - here's their recent take on buses and safety:
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=13&topic_id=59910&mesg_id=59910&listing_type=search

If you had questions specifically about toddlers, I'm sure those ladies would be happy to help.

hez
06-28-2007, 05:17 PM
Biased towards soccer & swimming here :)

egoldber
06-28-2007, 09:46 PM
Sarah has done all of these classes at one time or another and all are worth trying. She loved her yoga class, hated soccer, was indifferent to Tae Kwon Do and likes swimming. Personally, I wouldn't do swimming because I am paranoid about getting her and her suit rinsed off properly afterwards. They all sound fun, but it depends on your kid and what they like to do.