PDA

View Full Version : OT: Cost of new muffler and pipe

lmintzer
07-18-2007, 02:09 PM
Our 1999 Honda Civic's muffler died (cracked right down the middle). I was quoted $590 for labor and parts: the muffler and the pipe that comes out of the muffler which is rusted through. The muffler alone would have been a lot less (about half).

What have you spent for a similar repair?

Thanks!

writermama
07-18-2007, 02:18 PM
I don't know about the cost, but you might get a second opinion. The Car Talk guys have a database of reliable listener-reccomended mechanics on their website, here:
http://cartalk.com/content/mechx/

you can also try calling or searching the BBB for complaints against the shop that gave you the quote.

HTH,

SnuggleBuggles
07-18-2007, 02:36 PM
I have a 99 Civic too and I had to replace our muffler last year. Where it and the pipe connected had just rusted or something. I swear it was less than $300 for parts and labor. I'm headed out with ds now but I'll take a look in the glove compartment for the invoice and let you know the real price (since I could be totally wrong). I just remember thinking it wasn't as bad as I expected it to be price wise.

BTW, how's your Civic holding up? We want to get at least another year out of it, and hopefully even longer if we want.

Beth

SnuggleBuggles
07-18-2007, 05:11 PM
Ok, I found my invoices and it turns out that we had the muffler replaced 1 time and the exhaust pipe repaired at another time. So, the labor amount would change in your case.

Breakdown
Parts on exhaust pipe job:
gaskets and bolt kits about $53
exhaust pipe was $136
labor $80

Parts on muffler job:
muffler $200
bolt kit and gasket $20
labor $130- but we also had tires done on this job so the hours spent was probably higher

So,
53+136+80+200+20+130= $619

This was at an independent shop in our neighborhood, btw.

Sounds like the price is pretty comparable to your's. Since we did it in 2 trips spread out over 9 months I just didn't realize it was that much!

HTH,
Beth

elaineandmichaelsmommy
07-18-2007, 05:28 PM
If you're wanting to bide some time I've heard of people patching their mufflers with the fiberglass stuff that hospitals make casts out of. You just wrap or patch the muffler until it rains.

lmintzer
07-18-2007, 05:46 PM
Beth,

Thank you SO much. That is very close to what we were quoted (we're in the Philly 'burbs, so I know region also dictates cost to some degree).

I talked to friend who live around the block, and they have used this service station/garage for 15 or more years without any problems. So that made me feel a bit better too.

Oops, boys are getting wild, but thanks again!