PDA

View Full Version : NYC moms- How is it going over there?

kusumat
07-19-2007, 11:54 PM
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/nation/20070719-1508-manhattanexplosion.html

This is so scaring for me. We are moving to NYC next year and will be living in the Upper East Manhattan. I hope it will not happen again.

Kathy

Marisa6826
07-20-2007, 12:21 AM
Unfortunately, the infrastructure of NYC makes it prone to stuff like this. Considering that the majority of it is 80+ years old, it's bound to fall apart now and then. It usually doesn't get this bad, though.

When I was working in NYC for an architecture firm, I got to see the blueprints of the utilities in parts of NYC. It is absolutely amazing to see the intricacies. When you think about it, the steam pipes, telephone, fiber optic, sewers, electric, all woven together. Add in the subways and all that is needed for them to run, and it's a daunting maze. The guys that did all that groundwork are either no longer alive, or are ancient themselves, so all they have to work from are those blueprints. Most of the time they're accurate, but not always. ;)

I do have to say that it brought back some major memories of 9/11. Just seeing all the smoke/steam, people running and crying. A little too close for comfort, kwim? They've been saying over and over that the air quality is fine, but we heard that about Ground Zero. Despite the EPA's claim (along with the City's Office of Emergency Mgt), the City is issuing ventilation masks to all of its employees in the area. That kind of says something, huh? It's not just the asbestos issue, either. I'm sure they also are dealing with mercury, lead, etc. Their party line is that none of it is dangerous if the exposure is short term. Still, I don't think I'd want my kids breathing in that air.

My best friend's company only just recently moved from the building directly in front of where the explosion occurred. I recognised the photos of the lobby where the firemen were standing. Now, the office is just around the corner, but still in the 'frozen zone'. Thankfully, she wasn't there yesterday. Jonathan's office is on the West Side, and although he was able to see the smoke/steam, he had no idea what had happened and wasn't affected by it.

I think that the bottom line is that although one lady died, and a few others were seriously injured, the first responders really rocked. They were there in less than 6 minutes. It sucks that it took 9/11 to get them to prepare for this sort of thing, but at least they have additional practice now. Sadly, whether it's this sort of event, or something more nefarious, we'll the opportunity to revisit emergent situations. At least here in NYC.

So, no worries when you get here. There is *always* going to be something to be frightened of. You just have to kind of live day to day and take it as it comes. And, hey, at least you know you'll have good bagels available 24/7! :)

-m

punkrockmama
07-20-2007, 05:51 AM
Yeah :(. I saw this on the news and the footage took me right back to September 11th myself. I can't imagine what it was like to be there. I hope all our NYC mamas are doin' fine! I've been a few times and I loooove it there. You guys have an awesome place. Hugs to you all. :)