PDA

View Full Version : cosmetic dermatology procedures

Lynnie
07-20-2007, 08:57 PM
anyone had any done - or know of anyone who did ??

you know, peelings, botox, fillers ?? You don't have to admit it was you, although more power to you cause I am considering it, just curious to know the results. (just saw the derm about a mole, and unfortunately, I had also just looked at some pretty sorry pictures of myself, and I am tempted by some of the treatments...)

shilo
07-21-2007, 01:49 AM
my mom had her spider veins done about 5 years ago as a 'cosmetic' add on to having a vericose vein stripped. she said it wasn't comfortable during or for a day or two after, but she'd have it done again in a heartbeat. i don't know that i could ever get up the courage to have anything really drastic done, but if my vericose vein behind my right knee (mostly from sam) gets any worse with my next pregnancy, i'll have it done along with the spider veins too when i'm done having babies. it hurts sometimes when i'm on my feet all day or doing a long distance ride and frankly, i dislike the way it looks so much that i rarely wear shorts. no shame in wanting to feel good about yourself! just make sure you're doing it for YOU.

genetics gave me the vericose and spider veins, and if it winds up giving me the Z_________ (mom's maiden name) under eye bags at 50 or so, well then i may get up the courage to do something more drastic then :P.

lori
Sam 5/19/05 How lucky I am that you chose me.

dhano923
07-21-2007, 01:07 PM
I used to get microdermabrasino done every month. When I became a SAHM, that was one of the expenses I cut out. Now I'm working again, but I only go every 4-5 months or so. My skin always looks so much better afterwards!

My friend used to have bad acne scars and got several chemical peels done a few years ago. It really helped reduce the scars.

bostonsmama
07-21-2007, 09:37 PM
My aunt does Botox and Restalyn injections. I actually got to accompany her to her Dr's office for the Botox appt and it was pretty neat. Her general practicioner (MD) does it in-office and charges about $10/unit. This last time she needed 34 units, although she normally gets about 28. It was 34 b/c she got a touch-up on her upper forehead, the rest goes mainly around the crow's feet area, in between the eyes and above the eyebrows. Basically, you wipe your face w/ alcohol, the dr marks on a paper chart where injections are planned, then the dr looks at veins and tries to avoid nerve areas. The dr asks you to smile, inserts a tiny needle, asks you to relax, then injects the botox. Within a day the muscles are still and the skin just smooths out from lack of use. She looks FABU at 49! She gets touch-ups (reapplications) every 4-6 months and has been doing it for 6 years. When she started, treatments were ~$600; now she pays about $280 and can pay w/ her credit card.

The Restalyn is nice because it's a good filler for the area around the mouth (jowls) and smile lines. She does not use this so often.

My Dh and mother (and step sister, actually) have all done microdermabrasion and said it's worthless. My sister did a string of 6 or 8 treatments plus their pricey lotions and washes since your skin gets so sensative....thousands of dollars later she looks no younger and couldn't tell a bit of difference. She's 42. My mother and DH saw no difference after 3 treatments and stopped. My DH was hoping the MD would shrink his large pores and it didn't.

My aunt had a chemical peel a while back and looked horrible afterwards...her face ballooned like a watermelon. It was hideous (I have pictures). Just be careful...there is no magic pill. Botox and restalyn, though, have consistently worked for many, many people.