PDA

View Full Version : Anyone driven through the night- with kids?

LarsMal
07-23-2007, 10:37 AM
We're leaving for a week long visit to the mid-West next week. We are driving (don't even get me started!) b/c we are visiting a few different places while out there. Since the kiddos can't handle more than 4 hours- MAX- in the car right now, we're planning on driving through the night. My plan is to put the kids in their PJs and leave a little bit before bedtime. I've already told DH that I get the first leg of the drive- I don't drink caffeine so he'll be much better in the middle of the night hopped up on Mountain Dew!

I haven't driven through the night since my college days so I'm a little nervous about it, especially with 2 kids in tow.

Just wondering if anyone has done a long car trip with kids.

Fingers crossed that it goes smoothly!!!

Thatchermom
07-23-2007, 11:40 AM
We've done several Seattle to LA roundtrips like this. Worked well for us, even back when DS was a horrible sleeper around 3yo. At the time, it was his longest continuous sleep ever!

Mommy Of A Little Angel
07-23-2007, 03:04 PM
I haven't done it, but my SIL has. She said it worked pretty well, especially when you get to the destination and you have friends and family to watch the kids! They have done it at least twice now I think. A dvd player is must I think. Also, they stop for a longer dinner (think chain restaurant, not fast food) and let the kids run around outside in a park or rest area or something of the like. That gets any final energy out! I am pretty sure they then get everyone in pjs, do a modified nighttime routine, and the kids fall asleep. Remember to swap as often as necessary and try to keep each other awake. I know when they arrive at their destination the kids are just waking up and so the grandparents take over and mom and dad get a few hours of sleep!

Good luck and I hope everything goes really smoothly!

mamicka
07-23-2007, 03:11 PM
I wish you better luck than we had! We ended-up having to stop for the night at hotels because my boys wouldn't stay asleep in their carseats. They'd fall asleep just fine, & then wake-up crying about every 15 minutes, I think because they were uncomfortable & just wanted OUT. After a couple hours of this, we just said the heck with it & stopped. They are normally really good nappers in the car, so this was a surprise.

I'll cross my fingers for you!
Allison
Surprise #3 due 7/07
BABY! COME OUT NOW!

tylersmama
07-23-2007, 03:24 PM
We've done it twice, when DS was two months old, and then again at about 7 months. It worked pretty well both times. We either left in the middle of the afternoon (his normal naptime) and stopped for dinner/nursing a few hours later, or just got the car packed up right before bedtime, nursed him, and strapped him in and left. He did great both times. The last time, we got from Denver to the outskirts of Kansas City before he woke up on the way out and stopped for nursing and breakfast. Then I would pump in the car (SO much fun!) to give him a bottle, so we didn't have to stop to nurse every couple of hours.

Good luck!

nov04
07-23-2007, 04:38 PM
that was our experience, dd was a real mover when she slept, it drove her crazy to be strapped down.

Jenn98
07-23-2007, 06:48 PM
the only way I would ever do it again would be if I were arriving close to when DD#1 wakes up. DO NOT get there in the middle of the night and try to put a crancky toddler to sleep in a new/scarry room!!! but that's jmho!

punkrockmama
07-24-2007, 04:38 AM
When we would do roadtrips they were always at night. This was before I had Layla. Peyton was a crap sleeper for a loooong time and like a pp said, sleeping in the car on trips was about the longest he'd sleep back in the day.

I loved it. Pack it up before bedtime. Me and the kid would sack out and he'd do all the driving (my night vision is HORRIBLE).

It should be fine. Good luck! Have a safe and fun trip. :)

denna
07-24-2007, 05:28 AM
I think its very doable. Though Ive only done it with one active 1yo (at the time). We traveled for 8hrs and he did wonderfully. We actually left at about 5pm (right after work), stopped for dinner at about 630pm and got to our hotel at about 130am. DS did suprising well but it was tough getting him back to sleep.
The return trip we had to do during the day (not well planned on our part) and it was horrible for DS, we had to make *frequent* stops for him.

Good Luck! I think you guys will do fine.

Have a safe trip :).

lmwbasye
07-24-2007, 05:33 AM
We only drive at night with DS if it is a trip of at least 4 hours. Works out great for us. My parents used to do this with us, too, when we were little.

elephantmeg
07-24-2007, 05:50 AM
DS did great sleeping in the car on our recent vacation. We didn't drive at night but aimed for nap time each day and he took great naps!