PDA

View Full Version : Well, my DD is here!

casey0729
07-24-2007, 11:37 AM
Had her on Saturday the 14th at 7:29 pm. My little bean was 6 lbs 15 oz and 20 1/2 inches long!

Despite the induction, I felt more in control of this birth. I felt fine about saying no to things and okay with accepting things that happened out of my control. I would never have been able to be this confident without all of you mamas here who posted your experiences so, thank you!

I had gestational diabetes with this baby and the "diet" I was on was making me lose weight towards the end so we opted to induce after my 39 week appointment. It was only 4 days before my due date. Luckily I did not have to be "ripened" again like I did with DS. We went into the hospital at 7:30 am on Saturday and we started the IV at around 8:15. In keeping with my "pile everything on me during this pregnancy" theme, I had tested positive for group b strep so I had to have penicillin during the delivery. I wasn't feeling any contractions for a long time, though they were occuring according to the monitor. My first nurse was great about letting me move around, even with the monitors. I am a pacing person so it was nice. DH and I watched a bunch of landscaping shows on HGTV, which was perfect because we're relandscaping this year. MY OB showed up around 11 am and broke my water. Apparently my eyes got real big when she was casually talking to me but pulling out this instrument that I swear was 16 feet long. DH took one look at it and proceeded to check out the wolf program on Discovery.

We were progressing fairly well but then I proceeded to stall at 4 cm for about 4 1/2 hours. My cervix had moved back up or something weird like that. They were hoping that the pitocin would pull it back down but that wasn't happening. I was handling the contractions well but after a point I just got really tired. I was trying really hard to not get the epi because with DS I took it so well that I could feel absolutely nothing and ended up pushing for 3 hours because I couldn't feel where to push with him. We were going to go for the intrathecal thing but it would only last 2 hours and I wasn't sure when we were going to progress. Anyway, around 4 pm I caved and got the epi because I was exhausted. Well, it only took on half of my body. That was a fun experience. It ended up working out well because I could still feel things. We started pushing just after 7 pm or so and she was born at 7:29!!! YAY! Way better than last time. My ob was concerned because for about 90 minutes before DD's heart rate would drop every time I had a contraction. She pulled out this vaccumn thing and I said NO way, unless she was in imminent danger. Lo and behold, right after she showed me the vaccumn thingy, her heart rate started to level out. Turns out the cord was loosely wrapped around her neck.

DD is doing fine. Nursing is not going as well as with DS but I went to the lactation consultant and she was a big help. I am using a shield for a little while but we have not used any formula since she was 3 days old! So, double yay to that! DS loves his sister. He was "held" her many times. We've had a few acting out moments but it's been him acting out at bedtime, rather than against his sister. My mom came two days before the birth and took care of DS. He did really well considering I had never been away from him overnight. Now MIL is here for 9 days. 9 days! I had 2 days on my own and that seemed to go okay. I bought a sling so I can take DD outside with me while DS is playing. We'll see how the adjustment goes once everyone is gone. I am lucky that I am surrounded by grandmas for neighbors who can help me out when I need it.

Anyway, just thought I'd share my story.

KC

DS 05/11/05
DD 07/14/07

jgriffin
07-24-2007, 11:52 AM
Woohoo!!!! Congratulations!!!

o_mom
07-24-2007, 12:24 PM
Congratulations! Enjoy your little one!

almostamom
07-24-2007, 04:14 PM
Congratulations. Enjoy being the mama of two!

stella
07-24-2007, 04:48 PM
Congratulations on your baby girl!
When you are up to it, I would love to hear more about you gestational diabetes diet. I have it and I can't figure out WHAT to eat at all. I would consider weight loss a real plus at this point (32 weeks!)

Congratulations!

Claire

elephantmeg
07-24-2007, 05:14 PM
Congrats to all of you! Glad you had a good birth experience and that DS is doing well!

Lovingliv
07-24-2007, 05:21 PM
How exciting!!!! So glad everything went well and enjoy your babymoon!!

gatorsmom
07-24-2007, 05:37 PM
Congrats! How wonderful that everything went so smoothly. And your DD is born on my ChaCha's birthday!!! Yeah!!

Lisa
Mom to Gator July 2003
And Cha-Cha July 2005
and surprise! twins due 11/07!

punkrockmama
07-24-2007, 06:53 PM
Yahoo! Congrats to you and your family. :) And welcome to the world little sweetie!

scoop22
07-24-2007, 09:32 PM
congrats to you and your family!!

elizabethkott
07-24-2007, 09:47 PM
Congratulations!
Enjoy the time with your new little one!

Wife_and_mommy
07-24-2007, 11:33 PM
Congratulations. So glad to hear things went well. :)

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url] http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]

I love them most when they are sleeping.--Me
http://b4.lilypie.com/HSUwm4.png
http://b2.lilypie.com/UgAXm5.png

denna
07-25-2007, 01:46 AM
Congratulations and welcome baby girl!

(Half of your body,huh? That *must* have been interesting.)

JoyNChrist
07-25-2007, 01:50 AM
Aaw, congrats to mom, dad, and big brother on a healthy little girl! Enjoy her! :-)

shilo
07-25-2007, 12:23 PM
congratulations to the whole family. enjoy your babymoon!

lori
Sam 5/19/05 How lucky I am that you chose me.

Lynnie
07-25-2007, 09:27 PM
congrats !!

aren't they so sweet together, the older sibling and the baby ?? awwww !!

kijip
07-26-2007, 02:16 AM
Congrats! Welcome to your DD and I am happy to hear that your DS is handling the big brother stuff well.

I had a half epi at one point as well. There is truly not a god sometimes it would seem. :P Sorry you had to deal with that but it is great you felt in control of the birth!

****Rocking out while parenting my smart little munchkin Toby. Just trying to do good in the world, a little at a time. Words to live by: it is *never* the wrong time to do the right thing :)

mommy111
07-26-2007, 06:58 AM
Congratulations!!!! Glad it went so well!

MeAndMyStar
07-26-2007, 09:46 AM
Congratulations! Enjoy your sweet DD :)

casey0729
07-27-2007, 10:26 PM
Thanks everyone!

Oh yeah, the half epi was bizarre. They kept moving me because of DD's decreasing heart rate every time I had a contraction so they were trying to find a spot where it wouldn't happen. I could move one leg to turn onto my side but the other one would just lie there. Very freaky. At least I could feel where to push though, so it wasn't all bad.

Stella, my diet consisted of having 15 "carbs" a day over 6 meals. There is 15g of carbohydrate in 1 carb. I would get up, take my fasting rate and then have 1 carb for breakfast that could not be fruit or milk. Then I would have 2 carbs for a snack. 4 carbs at lunch, 2 carbs for a snack, 4 carbs at dinner and 2 carbs for a snack, all combined with other foods. Frankly, if I ate one more scheduled carb I was going to hit someone. I have some food ideas I downloaded from somewhere, if you want I will email it to you. It's pretty good at explaining how many carbs are in casseroles and in fruits, veggies, etc. I think the gestational diabetes diet is different than the regular Type 2 diet. My mom is borderline type 2 and follows the diet and some of the things I could eat, she could not.

My OB said I no longer had to follow the diet so I have been in rhubarb heaven since the 14th! Good thing I have a big freezer!

Lisa, I will have to call my DD Jumping Bean or something to go along with your little Cha Cha!

KC

DS 5/11/05
DD 7/14/07

Fairy
07-27-2007, 10:32 PM
Mazel Tov!

bubbaray
07-27-2007, 10:39 PM
Congrats!

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: 01/2007