PDA

View Full Version : Mirena IUD - did you spot if you were BFing

Piglet
07-25-2007, 08:23 PM
I just had the Mirena insterted this afternoon. I am BFing... a lot! If you had the Mirena inserted post-partum and were EBFing, did you spot after instertion? I am feeling pretty crampy, which is supposed to be normal, but I just can't shake the feeling that I am on the verge of getting AF?! Am I just imagining it?

Any insight is much appreciated!

SnuggleBuggles
07-25-2007, 08:34 PM
I don't meet any of your criteria since I got my copper IUD after ds weaned. But, I just wanted to say it would be normal to feel like you do since they have been manipulating your cervix. Bound to cause a bit of spotting. I had mine inserted during my period so I wouldn't have noticed spotting.

Also, my CNM had advised me to take ibuprofen before b/c I might get really crampy.

Beth

hobokenmom
07-25-2007, 10:03 PM
Hmmm....well, it's tough to remember as we're coming up on the 3 year anniversary of my Mirena.

Yes, I definitely was exclusively breastfeeding at that point, and from what I remember, I definitely spotted quite a lot for about a month or so, pretty much continuously.

Then after that maybe I spotted on and off for a few more months, and I'm not sure I ever had a period even after I weaned my son at one year.

I've never had a period with the Mirena, and I would say that maybe twice in the past year I've spotted minimally (by that I mean, one wipe with a little spotting on it -- no pantiliner or anything).

It's definitely worth it to put up with the spotting. It definitely gets better. I can't believe I'm more than halfway done with my Mirena.

tbriese
07-25-2007, 10:15 PM
yeah, i think i spotted a bit when it was first inserted. then i spotted during my "period" each month. pretty minimal.

s7714
07-25-2007, 11:29 PM
I was EBFing when I got mine (8 weeks post partum) and had spotting on and off for about a week or two after insertion if I remember correctly.

Jennifer
Mommy to
Miss Pure Energy 3/03
Miss Limit Tester 6/05

Our bones may be brittle, but our spirit is unbreakable.
Osteogenesis Imperfecta www.oif.org

MegND95
07-26-2007, 07:22 AM
I got mine inserted about 8w pp, and I was ebf at the time. I spotted on and off for almost a year, and it was very annoying. And I think my case was NOT the norm. Spotting happens, but not for the length of time I experienced. At least that is what my MW told me. I was on the verge of having mine removed, and she convinved me to hang on a few more months. All the spotting stopped at around the year mark, and now my periods and pms symptoms are virtually nonexistent.

CiderLogan
07-26-2007, 09:20 AM
Yep, totally normal. I spotted for a while when I was EBFing w/ it. And that cramping/spotting did feel like AF. Not to scare you, but my first Mirena slipped out of place (!!) and I had to get a second one inserted and the first taken out after a couple of months. But that's very rare, and my 2nd one is doing great after many months, and I have only occasional very, very light spotting.

Jenny
~~~~~
Mommy to two beautiful girls,
ages 1 and almost 4

donovanmom
07-26-2007, 09:27 PM
Very normal but annoying to have spotting post Mirena. DD is 5 months old. I am EBFing and had the Mirena placed 5 weeks ago and have had spotting almost every day but it seems as if it might be tapering off. I see my OB next week to have the strings checked. Hopefully, no slipping out! Courtney