PDA

View Full Version : ISO of an old thread about getting stink out of shirts

MarisaSF
07-28-2007, 09:51 AM
There was a thread here a few months(?) ago about (I think) someone's DH's stinky t-shirts. I've tried searching and can't find it. Anyone have the link?
If not, maybe you can help me. Some of DH's tshirts smell really bad even after washing. (TMI, but they smell like vomit.) We're getting desperate. Please help!

ellies mom
07-28-2007, 10:57 AM
Are they his workout shirts? I use vinegar. Both in place of bleach and fabric softener. It does a good job on those techie fabrics.

The other thing I can suggest is changing his moisturizer. I can't remember the brand anymore but Ray used to use one that did the same thing to his bath robe. We got it at Wild Oats and it was purple and I think it had grapefruit in it. It smelled really good out right out of the bottle but it made his bathrobe smell horrible. The unscented was bad too since it was underlying smell of the product. I finally made him switch brands. I don't remember what we did about getting the smell out of his bathrobe but it isn't a problem anymore.

MarisaSF
07-28-2007, 11:56 AM
Thanks, Veronica. Yes, I think all or most of the stinky shirts are coolmax-type fabric. Some might be cotton. I tried vinegar (as I thought that's what the old thread mentioned). I put it in the rinse box like I do for diapers. Is that how you do it too? We use unscented detergent and use dryer balls instead of scented fabric softener sheets, but I'm thinking about getting fragrant detergent and Bounce sheets to cover up DH's yucky shirt smells.

He doesn't use moisturizer, but does use sunblock, especially when wearing the running shirts. You might be onto something there!

ellies mom
07-28-2007, 01:51 PM
I have a front loader with a cup for bleach and a cup for fabric softener so I just fill them both with vinegar and push the bleach button.

JBaxter
07-28-2007, 02:00 PM
With DH & the boys coolmax stuff I use SportsWash and have never noticed them stinking after they were washed. DH is a golfer and both boys are doing 3 hrs a football practice a day so they do stink before the wash LOL

ellies mom
07-28-2007, 02:15 PM
Oh yeah, smelly detergent doesn't help and fabric softener itself can mess up the wicking properties of the fabric. I don't know about dryer sheets though. Maybe try a pre-soak with vinegar? Or what about that enzyme stuff (Nature's Miracle?)?

MarisaSF
07-28-2007, 02:19 PM
Thanks, V! I will try all of your suggestions!

MarisaSF
07-28-2007, 02:21 PM
Good tip! I've heard that sportswash gets out stink, but I've never tried it. I hear walmart sells it. Have you seen it elsewhere? do all walmarts have it?

bubbaray
07-28-2007, 03:14 PM
1 cup of regular (not sudsy) ammonia in the wash, along with detergent. Works on stinky sports stuff and just generally stinky stuff.

HTH

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: 01/2007

JBaxter
07-28-2007, 04:07 PM
Look in the camping section at walmart if not check a sports store. Our DicksSportingGoods have it but walmart is cheeper.

shilo
07-28-2007, 05:31 PM
yup, can't use fabric softener on the cool max stuff (or other wicking synthetics) as it destroys the wicking properties. even once you strip them, they're never quite as good again as before the fabric softener IME.

the sunblock doesn't seem to cause stink here, but it yellows the edges of my white things in a baaaddd way and it's next to impossible to get out. maybe that combined with the antiperspirant (another known offender in the yellow/stink department) is making your DH's shirts smell?? large amounts of vinegar with an extra rinse afterward seems to get the stink out of our cycling stuff the best, and hydrogen peroxide mixed with liquid dish or fabric soap seems to do the best on the yellow for me, altho i'm always looking for something better. bleach only makes the yellow worse for sunscreen and antiperspirant IME.

hth,
lori
Sam 5/19/05 How lucky I am that you chose me.

sweetpea
07-28-2007, 07:12 PM
I soak dh's work out shirts in warm water with baking soda and vinegar overnight. In the morning I add the soap and wash with an extra rinse.