PDA

View Full Version : How to use space under eves in rooms

hillview
07-28-2007, 10:05 PM
We are buying a new house and there are 2 parts of different bedrooms that have sloped roof/eves as part of the room. Both are quite narrow (one in an alcove and one in a closet) and I'd love to make good use of the space but am a little stuck. Any ideas? Am thinking it will be used for storage but would like to put shelves or something in. Anyone have any pics or articles?

I have googled to no avail!
TIA!
/hillary

Jo..
07-29-2007, 07:43 AM
I've seen television shows where they put built-ins in such spaces with gorgeous results. A quick search only revealed one picture, but you'll get the idea.

http://www.gmtoday.com/content/LSW/2006/October/images/lswoct2006p44attic01.jpg

shilo
07-29-2007, 11:37 AM
our pantry is built under the stairs, so same idea as your closet i think? the builder ran shelves in an L shape in two rows on the 'eve' wall and three on the back wall. the bottom and middle of the three rows runs circumferentially (so the shelf runs on the flat part before the stant starts on one wall and then turns the corner to the flat wall across the back of the pantry). the top shelf on the 'eve' wall is a few inches down from being level with the point where the angle starts up, so between that and the nice deep 12" shelves you can actually get quite a bit of stuff on that wall. on the back wall, the remaining row is up in the peak created by the slant so that you kind of end up with a triangle space - again, b/c it's a 12" deep pantry shelf, you can actually fit a fair amt. of stuff in the space. i would check with one of the container store type places that sells closet systems and ask them to do a closet layout for you. they did my mom's for free, all she had to do was bring them the measurements. i'm sure it would be something they'd be familiar with, as many of the older new england homes my mom's family own have similar closets, so it can't be that uncommon.

in the alcove - what about making it a small reading nook with a padded bench seat - you could use the bench for lift up storage. a few pillows and a light and you're good to go. you might even be able to find a decorative trunk or toybox that could fit the footprint of the space.

hth, lori
Sam 5/19/05 How lucky I am that you chose me.

hillview
07-29-2007, 07:01 PM
THANKS so much!

HoneymoonBaby
07-29-2007, 09:26 PM
Crate and Barrel carries a cute little inexpensive desk that's meant to fit in one of those alcoves. Their catalog had a picture of the space turned into a little mini-office -- you might be able to find it online.

DrSally
07-30-2007, 12:43 PM
When we had eves, I put a tall file cabinet in the office, and a large wicker chest for linens under the bedroom one. I have seen people put a very small desk and chair in an eve, or a dog bed, you can do lots of fun things.