PDA

View Full Version : Sad Dog is going away.

mommabear
07-29-2007, 10:27 AM
We have a Staffordshire Bull Terrier imported and his bloodline is quite good. We have been contacted by a breeder (we are not breeders) and have agreed to let our baby go away for 4 weeks to be used as a stud. I am so sad. I am due with DC #2 in 3 weeks so hopefully I will be preoccupied. On the other hand I am emotional right now.
Any prayers are appreciated.

Jen841
07-29-2007, 08:09 PM
I hope the dog has fun at "camp" "vacation"... enjoy the time and rejoice when the dog returns.

elephantmeg
07-30-2007, 04:14 AM
hugs! And hope that it goes quickly and smoothly!

elizabethkott
07-30-2007, 07:19 AM
(hugs)
I'd be sad if my freak-show of a mutt was away for 4 weeks too. But look at it this way - it's puppy camp! What happy male of any breed *wouldn't* want to take a 4 week vacay to well, you know... make a love connection!
And it will likely make that first week with DC #2 a LOT easier as well as the last few weeks of your pregnancy.
Just out of curiosity, do you get to keep one of the puppies? I've heard that that's sometimes an option for studding out.
:)

Radosti
07-30-2007, 08:00 AM
Here is a taste of how many of these dogs and mixes thereof, are in shelters as we speak. Please reconsider your decision.

http://search.petfinder.com/search/search.cgi?breed=Staffordshire+Bull+Terrier&tmpl=&preview=&preview=&zip=19438

mommabear
07-30-2007, 09:41 AM
We could have chosen a puppy but we already have 2 dogs and so we are just taking the stud fee.

mommabear
07-30-2007, 09:47 AM
Thanks for your imput. I need to add that we are only dealing with the top breeders in the country even internationally. They are very dedicated to the breed and very selective in breeding. They even write in their puppy contracts that if you can't keep a dog they have sold you you must return it to the breeder. We joke that when dealing with them they ask for everything but DNA. I take it very seriously for the well being of the breed.
These dogs are awesome with children and in England referred to as the Nanny dog. The good breeders definantly breed very selectively for temperment.
thanks

stella
07-30-2007, 09:54 AM
I do wish people wouldn't breed their dogs. It makes me sick how many dogs die in shelters every day. And people are always "shocked" to hear that so many are purebreds.

Clarity
07-30-2007, 10:19 AM
I'm anti-breeding too, but if you are dealing with breeders who only breed show or working dogs, require health-checks before breeding, and guarentee their puppies then it sounds like they are "reputable" breeders. The hard part is that staffy's are nearly interchangable with pitbulls, and pitbulls are getting a really bad rap in the media these days.
Do you show your Staffy?

stella
07-30-2007, 10:55 AM
that's good! I definitely agree that a good breeder will always take his dogs back. I believe we are responsible for every life we bring into the world - especially animal lives.

Radosti
07-30-2007, 05:22 PM
Sorry, I didn't trust myself not to write a very scathing post for a while. In fact, that's what I wrote the first time and replaced it with the link.

I do not believe that this is being done for the well being of the breed. In fact, it won't matter one whit that a pup of this dog is a staff or a pit or an am-staff if someone bad gets their hands on it. And it certainly won't save it if it ends up in a shelter.

And that contract that requires a pup be returned to them won't stop it from being dumped in a shelter. I've never been unfortunate enough to have one of my former fosters dumped in a shelter, but I can name countless other rescues who have. And we all have that exact same iron-clad contract with return of the dog specified.

The truth of the matter is that you likely advertised your dog for stud. That's how it works. How else would they have contacted you? And that means that you need a stud fee to make this imported dog pay himself off. You are deluding yourself if you think this will be a vacation for him. He will have no idea why he is being separated from his family and being put in a kennel. He'll think you've abandoned him and you will not have any control as to what happens to him while he is at the kennel.

And you still have not answered the question on whether you show him or not. Because quite frankly, if he's not a champion dog (even if he has champion lines) you have no reason to breed him.

Whitney
07-30-2007, 09:39 PM
NO ONE that is a repuatable breeder is going to be seriously interested in your dog as a potential stud unless you can show them proof of health testing and results appropriate to the breed . They will also want to see where he is titled or at least pointed. An even bigger concern to me tho is since I don't really knows these people from Adam's housecat how do I know what kind of care my dog is getting, how do you know they will only use him for the female you agreed to and are not using him for every female they can get their hands on. Just because it may be a big name in the breed doesn't mean their dogs are well cared for. There are big names in lots of breeds that are into it for their own glory, not for the love of a breed.

fortato
07-30-2007, 10:38 PM
My DH wants to go to a camp like that.

I'm sending you prayers and hugs... He'll be back soon!!!