PDA

View Full Version : Tupperware vs. Rubbermaid

momma_boo
07-31-2007, 07:53 AM
The girls are going to a new daycare in September (their home daycare provider is retiring). I'll have to start packing food for them for the first time. I'm wondering if tupperware is worth the higher price. Or maybe it's foolish to buy those kinds of containers in case they are lost/misplaced at daycare?

What do you normally use?

They are going to be reheating the food in the microwave if necessary, so they should be durable.

newnana
07-31-2007, 08:03 AM
Kind of depends on the DC provider and their diligence about making sure the right things go back to the right bag.

If they aren't great about it or you have other damage concerns, those throwaway ones made by glad and ziploc are great. Lots of size variety and there are even good ones for snack cups for peaches and the like.

If you want a multi-use item so that you can also pack them in the cooler next time you take a day trip, these are excellent:
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=13978700&RN=204

They don't even leak water into the sandwiches when immersed. If you want to be able to use these for multiple things, I'd say go with something like that.

Maybe start with the cheapo stuff first and see how it goes before you invest. You can always use the others for leftovers.

millerpjm
07-31-2007, 08:14 AM
Personally, I would NOT send Tupperware to a daycare. They're too expensive to have to worry about. The gladware/ziplock containers reheat just fine and come in a bunch of sizes You could buy a whole bunch of those for the price of one tupperware container.

Now, Rubbermaid also has a new line of "take along" containers. I have these, and I like them a lot:

http://www.rubbermaid.com/rubbermaid/product/product.jhtml?prodId=HPProd220002

There are other sizes too. I got these at Walmart, I think.

Hope that helps!

Jen

hellokitty
07-31-2007, 08:32 AM
Maybe it's just me, but I think tupperware is a rip off and their selection of products is very limited. Like the other poster said, it's pretty pricey stuff to send with your child to a daycare, b/c you never know what may end up happening to it. Maybe 25 yrs ago, tupperware was superior to other plasticware, but these days, I think there are other brands that are comparable if not better. I've found that rubbermaid containers are just as good, if not better than tupperware and the selection of different types and sizes of containers are much better than tupperware. If they will be re-warming food in the container, make sure you get the rubbermaid containers that are made for being re-warmed, b/c there are some plastics (esp the cheaper stuff) that will leach chemicals into the food. Personally, I pretty much got rid of all of my plastic stuff, and replaced it with corelle and pyrex containers. However, for a child, I know it's just easier and safer to stick with plastic. Just make sure it is a, "safe" plastic. One way to tell is by looking at the number at the bottom of the container. Click on the link below for more details...

http://www.thegreenguide.com/reports/product.mhtml?id=44&sec=3

kransden
07-31-2007, 08:44 AM
I love Tupperware, I was even a Tupperware dealer for a while to get the discount. I have never found anything that compares in the leak proof department or in the mircrowave meal areas. That said, I wouldn't send it to daycare. It is just too expensive. I used the disposable Gladware unless I needed a leak proof container.

Karin and Katie 10/24/02

Piglet
07-31-2007, 09:52 AM
LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the Ziplock/Glad containers! If you forget them in your car for a few days you can chuck them. If you lose one, it's no big deal. I have just about stopped using my Tupperware (I have a lot - I had a Tupperware bridal shower). We have been sending Ziplock boxes with DS1 and now DS2 for 5 years and we rarely have to chuck them. They do well in the dishwasher and microwave and are made from "safe" plastics, as far as I know. If you really want to pick between Rubbermaid and Tupperware, I like Tupperware better for leak-proofness and Rubbermaid better for price.

momma_boo
07-31-2007, 12:10 PM
Thanks everyone. After reading the replies, it does seem ridiculous to spend all that money on tupperware. I'm usually more sensible but I guess it's all the nervousness/excitement of getting them ready for daycare that did it.

I'll definitely stock up on the gladware/ziploc stuff.

I don't usually reheat stuff at home in plastic anymore but didn't think that pyrex would be practical for daycare.

Thanks again. Now I need to figure out about naptime stuff. That's another post, I guess.

supercalifragilous
07-31-2007, 12:52 PM
Costco has variety packs of Gladware and ZipLoc containers - a lot of them have the tiny 1-cup containers that are just perfect for kids' lunches!

Marisa6826
07-31-2007, 01:11 PM
I love the Glad disposable stuff. You can get it very reasonably priced at Costco. Target usually has sales on it.

I like that you can get a variety of sizes. It's microwaveable, you can put it in the fridge or freezer or dishwasher, and if it breaks or goes missing, you're not out a whole bunch of cash.

The best part is that if your leftovers tend to be forgotten and die in your fridge, you don't feel guilty just tossing the entire thing - container and all. ;)

I use a Sharpie to write contents/dates on them. Jonathan regularly takes his stuff to work and hasn't had any problems with leaks.

Maybe just get a small set to try first?

-m

octmom
07-31-2007, 01:29 PM
DD just started a new daycare yesterday and we have to send her food now too. I like the gladware type stuff too, but I bought just a few small Pyrex dishes (1 cup size, I think) for the re-heat items. I figure if I am only using one of these tiny dishes per day (for lunch entree), if that, and transporting it in an insulated lunch tote, it's not a big deal. Pyrex is pretty difficult to break and they come with plastic lids. I just bought a set of 4 (I think) round, 1-cup containers at K-Mart for around $5. They have blue lids, in case you are looking. There are also some with prettier light green lids fromthe Martha Stewart collection, but they cost a little more and I didn't think DD would care. ;) I'll use the gladware type stuff or ziploc baggies for things that don't need to be reheated. HTH!

Jerilyn
DS, 10/03
DD, 3/06

Fairy
07-31-2007, 03:09 PM
Ziploc throw-aways.