PDA

View Full Version : Do you know your DH/DW and DCs SS numbers?

LarsMal
08-01-2007, 08:48 AM
I was filling out forms at the dr's yesterday and they asked for DH's SS# (for insurance purposes). I've had to fill it out so many times, but I still couldn't tell you what it is, and I don't want to carry it in my wallet. I don't have the kids' numbers memorized either. Like I said, I don't want to carry them with me in case I lose my wallet/purse/diaper bag.

It's never a huge deal that I don't have DH's number for the forms, but I should probably know the kids.

SnuggleBuggles
08-01-2007, 08:53 AM
I can't remember why I needed to learn dh's but I have known it for years. Beth

scoop22
08-01-2007, 09:13 AM
i know mine. i have never known dh's and i used to know ds's until recently since i haven't used it.

now dh knows all of ours. he is amazing..

http://b3.lilypie.com/Sd3bm4.png

BillK
08-01-2007, 09:15 AM
I know my wife's but I still haven't got Zach's burned into my memory banks - but I will soon! ;)

kijip
08-01-2007, 11:05 AM
I had mine and J's down for a long time due to insurance needs and the fact that I handle the money so I would be asked for it when contacting the bank or a credit card. Toby's is 1 digit off from being three digits repeated 3 times (ie 123-12-3124) so I remembered immediately because it was odd. :P

shilo
08-01-2007, 11:10 AM
i have dh's memorized just from all of the time i've had to use it on forms, etc.

ds's last 4 are the same as DH's (what are the odds of that?), so it's pretty easy to remember as well.

most numbers i just have to say outloud to myself a couple of times and they're stuck for a good long while.

lori
Sam 5/19/05 How lucky I am that you chose me.

supercalifragilous
08-01-2007, 11:58 AM
I don't know DD's *hangs head* since it is locked up in our safe deposit box at the bank and I'm too lazy to get it. After I got my wallet stolen, I've been paranoid about keeping anything in my wallet, especially in light of all the identity theft that's going on!

On that note, has anyone run their DC's credit report? Granted they shouldn't even have one, but I remember reading something way back that babies' SS# are getting stolen too.

LarsMal
08-01-2007, 03:49 PM
NO...I've never thought of that. Good point, though- I'll have to do that one of these days.

s7714
08-01-2007, 04:07 PM
I have my DHs memorized, but have made no effort to memorize my DDs'.

I'm of the opinion that no one but an employer, tax related or government agency needs that number. I don't even provide it to doctor's offices or their preschool. Most medical related things are supposed to be operating on patient ID/insurance ID numbers anyway (at least it's the law in CA now).

Jennifer
Mommy to
Miss Pure Energy 3/03
Miss Limit Tester 6/05

Our bones may be brittle, but our spirit is unbreakable.
Osteogenesis Imperfecta www.oif.org

mudder17
08-01-2007, 04:44 PM
I know DH's, but I haven't had to use the kids' enough to memorize theirs yet. I'm sure I'll have them memorized by the time I start them in school, but for now, on the rare occasions I've had to use them, I've had to dig out their card.

Eileen

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_amethyst_36m.gif

http://www.tickercentral.com/view/6wrn/5.png

http://www.tickercentral.com/view/6wrn/2.png

elliput
08-01-2007, 05:22 PM
I know DH's. I haven't used DD's enough to memorize it yet, though I do know my Dad's and my siblings'.

val01
08-01-2007, 09:39 PM
I know both, but I have a numeric memory. I remember phone numbers from when I was 3-4. It's odd.

To those that are paranoid about using the SSN, you could write it down in your wallet using a "fake" number to help you remember.

Example:
123-45-6789 is really 234-56-7890 *add one digit

Of course that may be harder than just committing it to memory!

Valerie

val01
08-01-2007, 09:39 PM
I know both, but I have a numeric memory. I remember phone numbers from when I was 3-4. It's odd.

To those that are paranoid about using the SSN, you could write it down in your wallet using a "fake" number to help you remember.

Example:
123-45-6789 is really 234-56-7890 *add one digit

Of course that may be harder than just committing it to memory!

Valerie

sobers3
08-02-2007, 06:43 AM
Doctors offices are not allowed to ask for your SSN and insurance companies are supposed to assign new ID numbers which don't include your SSN. Also, it is illegal for schools to ask for your child's SSN.

sobers3
08-02-2007, 06:43 AM
Doctors offices are not allowed to ask for your SSN and insurance companies are supposed to assign new ID numbers which don't include your SSN. Also, it is illegal for schools to ask for your child's SSN.

HannaAddict
08-02-2007, 01:58 PM
Thanks for posting this. We have been declining to give our SSN for years and way back when were met with complete shock that we would decline. Though our health insurance company would assign you a number if you insisted, they acted like you were wackadoodle for refusing it. Now it is finally becoming accepted that no, every business and industry doesn't need the number and isn't entitled to it. Of course, I found out the office manager of my old firm actually took it upon herself to provide it to the insurance company after we declined to (and they don't "need" it, and she used my actual employment tax info to get it. At a law firm no less.

Kimberly