PDA

View Full Version : Fisher-Price recall

gordo
08-01-2007, 07:00 PM
Huge Fisher-Price recall for lead paint :( here we go again!!!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20079082/?gt1=10252

ETA - link with pics of toys
http://www.service.mattel.com/us/recall/39054_IVR.asp?prod=

schums
08-01-2007, 07:09 PM
I was just about to come post this. Especially troubling to me is the line "Fisher-Price and the government agreed to withhold details from the public until Thursday to give stores time to get suspect toys off shelves and Fisher-Price time to get its recall hot line up and running.".

Um, it would kill you to give me the list (and pictures, since I don't keep the boxes and therefore the part numbers) now! I see that there is a list on your link, but not on CNN yet. Or on FP's website.

And why should I believe that the FP Diego toy (which I think is on the list) that DS got for his birthday in MARCH is not affected by this?

I am so sick of this!!

Sarah
Mom to Alex (3/2002) and Catherine (8/2003)

gordo
08-01-2007, 07:11 PM
I found a list with pics on the Mattel site
http://www.service.mattel.com/us/recall/39054_IVR.asp?prod=

schums
08-01-2007, 07:14 PM
This must have just come online -- it wasn't there when I checked a few minutes ago! OK, one yea! for FP.

Sarah
Mom to Alex (3/2002) and Catherine (8/2003)

sidmand
08-01-2007, 07:46 PM
It's only for items since May 2007, correct? Because I have two of the items and they have the same model numbers as those in the recall, but one of them was a Christmas present and one must have been purchased about a year ago.

I guess if they haven't changed the item, the serial number would still be the same, correct?

Debbie
http://b3.lilypie.com/WT7Im4/.png[/img] (][img)

Lolagirl
08-01-2007, 08:40 PM
Well apparently they didn't do a very good job in giving retail stores a head start on this recall, because I just saw several of them on the shelves in a suburban Target this morning. I'm especially furious because my kids have all of those little Sesame Street figures and have been chewing on them ever since I took them out of the packaging and handed them over to them. Is it at all surprising that I don't believe FP's assertion that only toys purchased after May 1st are affected by the recall?

Grrrrr....

scoop22
08-01-2007, 08:48 PM
grr.. i just got ds the pots and pans for the bath. his favorite thing... thanks for posting i had no clue..

punkrockmama
08-01-2007, 09:21 PM
GAWD. What the hell is going on around here??

We don't have any of that stuff but we got caught in the whole Thomas thing.

Seriously, what is up with all these recalls? On everything from toothpaste to chili sauce to tub toys....I'm not sure what to think about it. I'm frustrated, my mom's convinced *somebody* is out to get us. I'm more inclined to think it's dolla signs in the eyes that's effin' up quality control. x(

ett
08-01-2007, 09:28 PM
I know what you mean. I just want to get rid of everything in our house that's made in China, but then we'll have nothing left. :( DS2 is at the stage where he mouths everything so all these recalls are really freaking me out!

Fairy
08-01-2007, 09:32 PM
Crappity crappity crap crap! We've had the tub puzzle well over a year. Great.

bubbaray
08-01-2007, 10:19 PM
Great. DD#1 has the Dora Fairytale Castle. And, she's had some of the pieces in her mouth at various times. Lovely.

I, for one, do NOT buy that the lead paint is only in toys produced after May 1, 2007. Nope, don't buy that AT ALL.

Grrrr. NOT happy about this. I mean, the oxygen that we breathe is made in China it seems. Its really virtually impossible to eliminate Chinese products from our lives. But, I would if I could.

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: 01/2007

bubbaray
08-01-2007, 10:19 PM
Great. DD#1 has the Dora Fairytale Castle. And, she's had some of the pieces in her mouth at various times. Lovely.

I, for one, do NOT buy that the lead paint is only in toys produced after May 1, 2007. Nope, don't buy that AT ALL.

Grrrr. NOT happy about this. I mean, the oxygen that we breathe is made in China it seems. Its really virtually impossible to eliminate Chinese products from our lives. But, I would if I could.

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: 01/2007

SnuggleBuggles
08-01-2007, 10:20 PM
Seems to me that this could be a way of going to "war" with the US (ETA biological warfare). I am probably reading too much into it. It's probably just crappy quality control.

Beth

SnuggleBuggles
08-01-2007, 10:20 PM
Seems to me that this could be a way of going to "war" with the US (ETA biological warfare). I am probably reading too much into it. It's probably just crappy quality control.

Beth

himom
08-01-2007, 10:41 PM
I think it would be just lovely if these screwed-up companies would quit doing their little "hey, let's outsource, cost-cut, and end up poisoning whole bunch of little kids" crap.

I'm seriously pissed right now, so much so I can't come up with harsh enough words for &^%$%! Mattel.

Off to cull out a bunch of DS's birthday presents. He'll be upset, since he already lost a number of his beloved Thomas toys. But that's better than he or his 5 month old brother getting (more?) lead poisoning.

himom
08-01-2007, 10:41 PM
I think it would be just lovely if these screwed-up companies would quit doing their little "hey, let's outsource, cost-cut, and end up poisoning whole bunch of little kids" crap.

I'm seriously pissed right now, so much so I can't come up with harsh enough words for &^%$%! Mattel.

Off to cull out a bunch of DS's birthday presents. He'll be upset, since he already lost a number of his beloved Thomas toys. But that's better than he or his 5 month old brother getting (more?) lead poisoning.

shilo
08-02-2007, 12:03 AM
here's an example i wrote back when we were affected by the thomas recall. feel free to edit to fit this situation/your experiences.

you can easily look up your senators' and rep's email addy's here:
http://www.visi.com/juan/congress/

Dear XXXX,

I'm writing to you today to appeal to you as a mommy who is scared for her child and the health of American children in general. You may or may not have heard from other consituents this week about the toxic lead paint in a line of extremely popular, mass marketed children's toys, Thomas the Tank Engine Wooden Railway pieces. I am not only concerned for this specific CPSC recall of 1.5 Million toys, but the growing trend towards recalls for toxins of imported children's products. Recent recalls have effected everything from toys to bibs to the vinyl lunchboxes we store their food in.

As a mom who tries to make educated choices for my family, I feel like I've failed each time one of these products is recalled months and even years after we've been using them. In this case, this recall affected ten of the trains/toys my son has been playing with everyday for more than 6 months. But for some of my friend's families, it's been years that their children have been exposed to this lead paint. Many of them family's with infants who teeth on and mouth the toys. It's downright scary!

I am writing today to ask you to make getting the toxic chemicals out of our children's products a priority in the congressional adgenda. The only viable way to do this is to expand the funding and programs for testing all imported children's products immediately. We need to improve the speed at which these items are identified and pulled from the market before they ever reach our children. It's just not acceptable that it took 2 years for these trains to be identified by the CPSC and recalled, placing thousands if not hundreds of thousands of children like mine at risk for lead poisoning and it's potentially lethal consequences.

Please consider drafting and or supporting legislation to address this issue. As a consituent and supporter of many years, I am hopeful that you will explore and act on getting the toxins out of our children's products now.

Thank you for your time,
Lorien XXXX, XXX

lori
Sam 5/19/05 How lucky I am that you chose me.

shilo
08-02-2007, 12:03 AM
here's an example i wrote back when we were affected by the thomas recall. feel free to edit to fit this situation/your experiences.

you can easily look up your senators' and rep's email addy's here:
http://www.visi.com/juan/congress/

Dear XXXX,

I'm writing to you today to appeal to you as a mommy who is scared for her child and the health of American children in general. You may or may not have heard from other consituents this week about the toxic lead paint in a line of extremely popular, mass marketed children's toys, Thomas the Tank Engine Wooden Railway pieces. I am not only concerned for this specific CPSC recall of 1.5 Million toys, but the growing trend towards recalls for toxins of imported children's products. Recent recalls have effected everything from toys to bibs to the vinyl lunchboxes we store their food in.

As a mom who tries to make educated choices for my family, I feel like I've failed each time one of these products is recalled months and even years after we've been using them. In this case, this recall affected ten of the trains/toys my son has been playing with everyday for more than 6 months. But for some of my friend's families, it's been years that their children have been exposed to this lead paint. Many of them family's with infants who teeth on and mouth the toys. It's downright scary!

I am writing today to ask you to make getting the toxic chemicals out of our children's products a priority in the congressional adgenda. The only viable way to do this is to expand the funding and programs for testing all imported children's products immediately. We need to improve the speed at which these items are identified and pulled from the market before they ever reach our children. It's just not acceptable that it took 2 years for these trains to be identified by the CPSC and recalled, placing thousands if not hundreds of thousands of children like mine at risk for lead poisoning and it's potentially lethal consequences.

Please consider drafting and or supporting legislation to address this issue. As a consituent and supporter of many years, I am hopeful that you will explore and act on getting the toxins out of our children's products now.

Thank you for your time,
Lorien XXXX, XXX

lori
Sam 5/19/05 How lucky I am that you chose me.

theamazingtrace
08-02-2007, 12:39 AM
ditto! i freaked out when i saw the photos because DD was just chewing on the elmo figurine today! grr...

theamazingtrace
08-02-2007, 12:39 AM
ditto! i freaked out when i saw the photos because DD was just chewing on the elmo figurine today! grr...

hellbennt
08-02-2007, 07:57 AM
the sites are all busy...
THANK you for the links

so waht about the sesame street guys in the tube? my ds loves these!
elmo on a skate board, cookie w/ a hat & boombox, zoe, ernie, etc?

~laura in miami~
ds1 7/03
ds2 7/06

hellbennt
08-02-2007, 07:57 AM
the sites are all busy...
THANK you for the links

so waht about the sesame street guys in the tube? my ds loves these!
elmo on a skate board, cookie w/ a hat & boombox, zoe, ernie, etc?

~laura in miami~
ds1 7/03
ds2 7/06

Fairy
08-02-2007, 02:46 PM
Their website says we're not impacted. Whew ... this time ...

miki
08-02-2007, 04:05 PM
Those are on the list.

emilys_mom
08-03-2007, 08:38 PM
So...since most of DD birthday presents are on the list, I had to go trolling through her stuff while she was sleeping since they are all her favorite toys (of course). But I filled out the form on their website night before last, and haven't seen anything in my e-mail yet (as they promised). Has anyone else had this experience, or did I mess something up? Should I do it again?

BTW- I love in the fine print where it says they will send you a voucher that you can redeem but you can't redeem it for licensed products. Especially since just about everything in the recall is licensed.

ajmom
08-03-2007, 08:41 PM
We have those Dora and Diego figurines, but we've had them for awhile- not just since May. I guess I should get rid of them... I tossed all the Thomas trains, even though some weren't on the list... I may be going overboard, but better safe than sorry, right?

buddyleebaby
08-03-2007, 09:20 PM
I haven't gotten an email yet either.

JustMe
08-03-2007, 09:38 PM
We have the Dora and Diego figures, as well as the fairy tale Dora doll. They are all at least a year old, though...can't decide if I should toss them or not. The fairy tale Dora can definitely go, as soon as I can get it when dd is not looking...but the figures...dd uses them as her doll house people. If I knew they were bad, they'd be gone...but since I don't know..not sure what to do.

Robyn

hellbennt
08-04-2007, 12:19 PM
no email here yet either...
~laura in miami~
ds1 7/03
ds2 7/06

scoop22
08-04-2007, 07:11 PM
i just got mine..

http://b3.lilypie.com/Sd3bm4.png

lil_acorn
08-06-2007, 01:25 PM
I filled out the form last week but still haven't gotten the email. How long to get yours? I filled it out on Friday.