PDA

View Full Version : EBay question...

SASM
08-02-2007, 01:10 PM
How do you handle the weighing and postage issue? I want to try to ease into EBay with a few small things (BN cloth diapering stuff and some NWT kids clothing) to make it easier but I am sooooooo afraid of the weighing and shipping thing. I am certain that it is sooo easy but I just cannot imagine going to the PO everytime I need to calculate the weight, etc. I know that I cannot just put down a set amount b/c it varies from area to area but I figured that it would be more attractive to see the lower postage rate for First Class instead of $4 or more Priority. Am I just making this more complicated than it needs to be?

TIA!!

jacksmom0902
08-02-2007, 02:42 PM
I can't offer any help because I'm fairly new to selling on Ebay but I'd be interested to hear what others have to say as well.

urquie
08-02-2007, 03:48 PM
i'm curious too. this is the reason i've never sold on ebay.

Mommy Of A Little Angel
08-02-2007, 05:41 PM
I use either my baby scale or kitchen scale to weigh things. Both go low enough to get accurate weights to the ounce. You can get a cheap kitchen scale or even a real postage one. Then I go here:
http://postcalc.usps.gov/

If you don't know the zip code you are shipping it to yet, just put on that is on the other side of the country from you. It usually doesn't change the price but just in case it does you won't be out any money.

Good luck and I hope that helps!

hardysmom
08-02-2007, 06:23 PM
I just do a flat rate USPS Priority. The savings of parcel/1st class isn't worth the hassle, IMHO.. Almost all my items ship for 4.85 (the minimum rate) with VERY reasonable combined shipping.

With Priority, the boxes/lables are free, which is really a biggie for me. They will even tape the box shut if a poly bag won't work.

Buyers can opt to insure and you can do delivery confirmation

Packages arrive in 2-3 days, so the transaction is OVER.

Plus, up to 1 lb, which is a lot for baby clothes, is a flat rate of 4.85, then up to 5.10 (I think). I combine shipping for a very minimal amount.

Personally, I figure that people look at overall costs and bid accordingly. In other words, it comes out of my pocket. The .25 extra for Priority, for me, is well worth it. I really couldn't do the weighing, keeping supplies stocked, etc...

stephanie