PDA

View Full Version : What can be causing so much of my hair loss?

SammyeGail
08-02-2007, 02:35 PM
I don't post here often but def need some advice. Aprx last January I noticed more hair than usual was falling out when washing and rinsing my hair. It quickly became alot. At the time I excused it off as stress, alot of crap was going on with my family. My depression continued to get worse and I had a sort of breakdown in May and went to an outpatient program for it in June. By then I had lost about half of my hair. I have (had) really thick hair so it doesn't look awful, just thin and lank. Anyway, I went to see my OB/GYN about how hard things were right before and during my period and told him about my hair loss. We had a thyroid test done which came back that my thyriod was slightly underactive. I've been on the meds for it about 3 weeks.

I know I should have looked into what was going on way before now, but the period of depression really knocked me down. I have been feeling gradually better and better the past few weeks. I was thinking my hair loss might lighten up since I am about 75% better than I was from Jan-June, but it hasn't.

Does anyone know of any other medical reason someone could be loosing so much hair? Its not a male pattern baldness, its even all over. I am getting really scared about it because I think I'll be completely bald in another 6 months.

Sorry if I rambled in the post and it sounds disorganized, I'm not feeling the greatest today.

Any insight or advice would be deeply appreciated : ).

Samantha

NeyhaR
08-02-2007, 02:58 PM
Almost half of my hair fell out (throughout, no patches, like you) when I was breastfeeding. It also falls out a lot when I go through stressful periods. It takes a long time to stop and get back up again after the stress stops, for me. Best wishes on your recovery and returned thick hair.

megs4413
08-02-2007, 03:22 PM
underactive thyroid can cause alopecia...

sometimes the symptoms are worse than the serum levels would indicate...give the meds some time to get you back on track. if it's not better, than keep looking. i hope you feel better soon!

schums
08-02-2007, 03:43 PM
Have you switched medications recently? I had a TON of hair loss when I switched migraine meds last year. Literally hundreds of hairs would fall out when I took a shower or blew my hair dry. It was so bad that it would cover the drain in the shower so the water wouldn't drain every time I showered. DH couldn't believe I wasn't bald. Anyway, it took a few months, but it eventually stopped.

GL,
Sarah
Mom to Alex (3/2002) and Catherine (8/2003)

SunGreen22
08-02-2007, 06:01 PM
In your case it is probably just stress related along with your thyroid.

alleyoop
08-02-2007, 08:50 PM
A friend told me that the Mirena IUD can cause hair loss, but I don't know if that is true. Do you have one of those?

elizabethkott
08-02-2007, 09:39 PM
Samantha,
It's likely related to the thyroid. I'm also hypoactive, and like you have been on meds for 3-4 weeks.
I've had a *great deal* of hair loss, which has not gotten better just yet. I have a feeling it will take a month or two for the meds to fully show all of their affects, so for now it's just something I have to deal with. :(
I am glad that you are feeling better. If you want to discuss more hypothyroid tales from the dark side, feel free to PM me!
:)

elephantmeg
08-03-2007, 06:19 AM
I would say thyroid too and just wanted to say hugs and glad you're feeling better! Hope you're back to 100% soon!