PDA

View Full Version : Need ideas for boys at a Disney Princess birthday party

schums
08-02-2007, 03:38 PM
DD has asked for, and I have grudgingly agreed to, a Disney Princess party for her 4th birthday, coming up in a couple of weeks. Of the 6 kids who will most likely be there, 3 are boys. Anyone have ideas for "boy" favors or pinata stuffing? I can't find anything that is a "prince" theme. I got cute (but cheap) bracelets for the girls (strechy beaded ones) and would like to find something comperable for the boys. I plan on getting a pack of princess pencils and splitting it among the girls, but can't find something comperable for the boys. If it matters, the age range is 3 (almost 4) to a new 6.

TIA,

Sarah
Mom to Alex (3/2002) and Catherine (8/2003)

SnuggleBuggles
08-02-2007, 03:51 PM
Think knight. Both boys and girls would like those big gem rings you can get at the party store (at least the 4-5 yos at our parties have liked them). Temporary tattoos, bouncy balls, stickers (castles, horses, dragons...), glow sticks, and all sorts of non themed stuff would work. Don't limit yourself to the theme. You can merely incorporate the theme to things like invites, cake, and party ware. Maybe instead of princess pencils you just get sparkly silver pencils? Or how about a general art kit? A kid in ds' class gave a pencil case with art supplies as favors and that was nice. Another idea is something I can't name (not too helpful!)- I bought these things at Target last year that was like a wand but it had a sphere with light on top, when you pushed the button the lights turned on and spun around. Very cool favor idea.

at that age they really aren't going to be as concerned with girl toys vs boy toys. So long as it is neat it will work. It isn't a bad idea to think more gender neutral though b/c even some of the girls may not be into the princess stuff.

This is my favorite site for finding b-day theme ideas. Very helpful! I see on there that some are calling them "Royal Celebrations" rather than princess parties.
http://www.birthdaypartyideas.com/
http://www.birthdaypartyideas.com/html/princess.html

HTH!

Beth

kransden
08-02-2007, 04:54 PM
You can also do a "Princess and Pirate" theme. Pirates are pretty big this summer.
Just a thought.

Karin and Katie 10/24/02

Tondi G
08-02-2007, 05:18 PM
check Oriental Trading Co for Prince/Knight themed party stuff!!! Dragon could work too!

http://shop.lego.com/ByTheme/Leaf.aspx?cn=354&d=70

My DS just had a Lego Knights birthday theme and I just checked the Lego.com site. They have the lego knights for $2.50!!!! Figures now... I bought the $4 ones for party favors and they were a big hit!

http://shop.lego.com/ByTheme/Leaf.aspx?cn=354&d=70

~Tondi

schums
08-02-2007, 06:24 PM
Thanks for the idea! I love the knights!! Any idea how difficult these are to put together? The boys are almost 4, 4 1/2 and 5.

Thanks,
Sarah

schums
08-02-2007, 06:29 PM
Thanks everyone for the great ideas!! I have some non-theme items alredy for the goody bags/pinata, but I'd like to tie at least a couple of items into the "theme". I love the idea of the Lego knights or pirates. For some reason I seem to be totally stuck in prince/princess mindset right now. It doesn't help that we've all been sick for the last 3 weeks and the party is fast approaching!

Thanks again!
Sarah

jeminaal
08-02-2007, 07:54 PM
A friend of my DS's had a Knight birthday party about a month ago for her 4-year old. Here were some of the cute ideas she had the kids do:

-She made a "shield" out of cardboard for each boy and had them decorate it (girls decorated crowns). Really cute and inexpensive.

-Had each child stand with her son next to a blowup dragon and took a picture, which she included in her thank you cards.

-Had the kids play "Pin the tail on the dragon"

-When there was down time between activities, or if there were children who didn't really want to participate in games, she had an emptied water table filled with some "moon sand" in a corner of the backyard and bought castle sand toys for the kids to play with.

-Read a short Princess/Knight themed book to the kids.

-Had the kids go on a short treasure hunt just before the end of the party and the treasure box had the give aways. They were given bubble swords from Oriental Trading Company and plastic knight hoods to go with their shield (don't remember what the girls got).

HTH!

edited to clarify info

Jeanette
(formerly known as jeanmick, member since Feb 2003)

DD Born Christmas Eve
DS Born Valentine's Day

suz
08-03-2007, 12:56 AM
I've been to a princess and pirates b-day party. The host gave out a treasure chest filled with goodies to each of the boys. I think she got it from oriental trading company.

bchafin
08-03-2007, 06:35 AM
You've gotten great ideas! I just wanted to share that I found some Disney knight items. I don't know if they will help, but I think they are cute.

http://partysuppliesworld.com:80/pages/frames/kids_birthdays_home.html

Barb

Tondi G
08-03-2007, 12:46 PM
My just turned 6 year old did alright and almost got it built but I sat down and we went through the directions and got it built properly. It's a fun thing for mom or dad to sit down with the kids and do.... doesn't take that long. The kids can help organize all the pieces etc. They are good sized too and all the kids seemed to like them... boys and girls! I gave them to kids age 3.5 up to 8 years old.

Oh and for what it's worth they retailed for 10 bucks so it's not a dinky little toy!