PDA

View Full Version : Anybody done this?

KBecks
08-02-2007, 04:52 PM
I am blatanly lying on a hotel reservation because we think a room with a king bed will work best for our travel, but we're taking along our two kids, planning on having the toddler co-sleep and the babe in his pack and play. I feel a little bad about breaking the rules, but we're deciding what sleeping arrangements are going to work best.

Anyone done this before?

daniele_ut
08-02-2007, 05:06 PM
We do this all the time. I wouldn't even worry about it. Most of the time there is much more floor space in a King room than one with 2 queens and we prefer that.

Tondi G
08-02-2007, 05:10 PM
I wouldn't hesitate to do that! If it works better for you and your are paying the $$ why wouldn't you ask for it! I have found a lot of hotels say 2 queens but are often 2 double beds and would make co sleeping a pain!

~Tondi
Mommy to Mason 7/8/01 and Aidan 5/4/05

Pennylane
08-02-2007, 05:27 PM
I don't think they really care as long as you don't have too many people in the room. I was booking a room through Hilton once and did not include any children in the reservation (by mistake). I called them once I realized what I had done and they said it did not matter.

Ann

s7714
08-02-2007, 10:52 PM
You mean rules about telling them there'll be kids staying or do you mean the number of people allowed to sleep in a certain type of room? I didn't think the guests per room rule came into play until kids were over 12 or something like that.

I always tell the hotels that it'll be 2 adults with 2 kids under 5 and then just tell them what room I want. (I usually go for a single bed room as well so there'll be space for my DDs' beds). They've never tried to give me a different room just because of my DDs! I guess it probably depends on the hotel too though.

Jennifer
Mommy to
Miss Pure Energy 3/03
Miss Limit Tester 6/05

Our bones may be brittle, but our spirit is unbreakable.
Osteogenesis Imperfecta www.oif.org

Gena
08-03-2007, 07:38 AM
Often when you book online the computer has a maximum occupancy for each room type and will not allow you to reserve a single kids bed for 4 total people. So it's really not "rules" as much as it is the computer not understanding that parents cosleep, bring PNPs or make other arrangements for young children. If you call for reservations this ususlly isn't an issue.

Before my son started sleeping in his own bed we just reserved for 2 adults and got a king bed(I always book online). Not that he sleeps by himself we get 2 queens.

punkrockmama
08-03-2007, 08:15 AM
I've done it, I think we've all probably done it. Don't even blink about it Karen. They're not gonna knock on your door at night and do a head count. Do what's goona work for you guys and have a fun/safe trip! :)

egoldber
08-03-2007, 09:30 AM
I'm not sure how this is lying? Is there a max on the number of people in the room? Sometimes with a king bedroom, the room max is 2 adults + 1 child under 3, but not always.

We prefer two doubles/queens, one for DH and Sarah, the other for me (to be able to nurse Amy more comfortably in bed at night).

KBecks
08-03-2007, 09:53 AM
It seems to be a restriction on the number of people in a king bed room. When I put in 2 adults and two children and their ages, reservations programs only offer the two double bed setup. So I put us in as 2 adults and no kids and I was able to find a reasonably priced king suite. There may be hope that the kids will go to bed and we can watch TV or something if we want to stay up.

Thanks for easing my conscience!

s7714
08-03-2007, 03:29 PM
I've actually never encountered that problem and I always book online vs. calling! Maybe I've just been lucky so far!

Jennifer
Mommy to
Miss Pure Energy 3/03
Miss Limit Tester 6/05

Our bones may be brittle, but our spirit is unbreakable.
Osteogenesis Imperfecta www.oif.org

deborah_r
08-03-2007, 04:07 PM
I've never had this problem either and we almost always get a King bed. Never thoguht about it.

kozachka
08-04-2007, 01:54 AM
I'll raise my hand and admit that I've cheated on online hotel reservation. Last week-end I had to book a room near Schiphol (Amsterdam) airport. I used hotels.nl that offers much better rates than hotels directly, at least in most cases. When I searched for 3 people I was getting much more expensive rooms than when I searched for 2. We ended up staying in Radisson for 89 Euro including tax. I just made sure by checking Radisson's site that their regular size room is for 2 adults plus a child under 12 (maybe children) as long as they use existing beds. Luckily, when we checked in I read in the hotel information that cribs are complementary so we got one for DS.

You have to be careful though, Hilton Amsterdam Airport has a maximum occupancy of 2 people, adults or children, so I don't book it when we travel together, I would not want to have to sneak DS in through the back door.

julieakc
08-07-2007, 01:59 AM
I've experienced this problem before and I think it is, as someone previously noted, simply a computer issue...the computer doesn't know how to calculate that small children don't need a whole bed.

You don't have anything to worry about.

Ceepa
08-07-2007, 07:53 AM
Do you have to keep the kids out of the lobby when you check-in? That would tell me something.

-Ceepa

Ceepa
08-07-2007, 07:54 AM
oops

Ceepa
08-07-2007, 07:54 AM
oops.

KBecks
08-07-2007, 11:44 AM
We went and it was no problem, but I'm not sure if it would have been. We checked in late at night and got to our room through a side door anyway so the kids were already sleeping. In the morning we all went down for breakfast but we left quickly because the boys were not into it. We were only in the room to sleep.

The king suite room was great there was plenty of room and co-sleeping in a king bed is wonderful -- we all had enough space -- my husband loved it! I think if we had a king at home we would be a co-sleeping family.