PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone else holding onto an invention idea?

1ceng1
08-02-2007, 05:08 PM
I have this idea. I do not know what to do with it, but I am fairly confident it is something that would sell well in the mom community. I was just wondering, does anyone else on here have an invention you would just love to see materialize? Does anyone hold a patent? Obviously, you probably want to be vague about the actual idea. I just want to see if I'm the only one sitting on an idea wondering if I should do anything about it.

shilo
08-02-2007, 05:28 PM
totally don't want to discourage you, but yeah, btdt - at least thru the early parts of R&D and patent application. even having one of my sister's best friend's from law school who is a patent attorney do some of the leg work for a steal for me, it was still going to be at least 10K to get mine to a sample state that i might have been able to try and sell to a larger company to produce - probably 2-3x that to try and manufacture and market myself.

while we were working on the patent application (ie. we'd done the patent searches, but hadn't yet completed the dossier and filed), graco beat me to it. seriously. it was for the swing frame that would accept an infant carseat. so obviously i wasn't the only one with that idea. as i understand it, my mechanism was still patentable, since it differed substantially from theirs, but there was no way something i was going to do would be able to compete with graco already in the market on it. so i decided just to let it go.

now if it was something that you could make the samples yourself on (ie. sew), well then probably substantially cheaper. but if you're talking something that has to be engineered, requires plastics or injection molding and/or manufacturing and go thru jpma certification process, then very expensive from what little i researched.

lori
Sam 5/19/05 How lucky I am that you chose me.