PDA

View Full Version : Would you take a newborn on a plane?

kimbe
08-03-2007, 11:16 AM
Curious to see the responses. If we have our baby on the due date and everything goes well and we are cleared by the docs, we'll be flying with him/her at 6 weeks. My sister is getting married and I won't miss it.

ErinMC
08-03-2007, 11:21 AM
We took DS1 on a plane at 12 weeks, also for a death in the family. Otherwise, we had already booked a flight (for my sister's high school graduation) for when he was 15 weeks. So he ended up flying twice in a month. Not sure if I would have taken him when he was any younger though.

Erin

Mom to Chase 2/2004 and Logan 5/2006

SnuggleBuggles
08-03-2007, 11:24 AM
I am sorry for your loss.

We flew with our ds when he was 7-8 weeks old, with our pediatrician's OK. Easiest flight ever! We did wind up sitting on the runway forever b/c of a storm at our destination but ds did just fine. I didn't buy him a ticket but there were empty seats so thankfully I was able to bring his seat on. He basically slept and nursed.

Beth

kransden
08-03-2007, 11:27 AM
I wouldn't unless I HAD to. I would be afraid of the baby coming down with a cold etc. from the bad air on the plane.

Karin and Katie 10/24/02

deborah_r
08-03-2007, 11:33 AM
That's my concern. Also that I'm so exhausted I can't really imagine trying to travel with a newborn and a 4 year old all the way from CA to CT.

deenass
08-03-2007, 11:35 AM
We flew with DS #1 when he was 11 weeks.

MarisaSF
08-03-2007, 11:40 AM
I just flew with DS, who is 9 weeks(?). IMO, this is the easiest time to fly with them. It's the 6 month-old babies who wiggle all over! :)

shilo
08-03-2007, 11:45 AM
we did do CA to CT when DS was 6 weeks old for a best friend's wedding. like a surrogate sister growing up, not something i would have missed. we sched. an appt. with his pedi 2 days before to give us the all clear. he did great the whole time and i actually had more help with DS w/ all the close friends and family there. someone took DS from me pretty much every morning after the 5ish am feed and let us go back to sleep until 8ish am when he usually wanted to eat again.

but it also helped that the bride is a pedi and there were 3 other md's in the family traveling/staying with us - 2 of them ob/gyn's, which my doc was comfortable with since i was still having a pretty serious pp complication with at that point. so both of us could have had pretty instant care if needed.

i think you can only decide what's right for you and your family tho! i think it is completely reasonable to hold off flying at this point for any reason - it's your kiddo!

lori
Sam 5/19/05 How lucky I am that you chose me.

hillview
08-03-2007, 12:03 PM
We will be taking TBD #2 on a flight when he/she is 8 weeks old Bos to San Fran and then to UK when 10 weeks. This is all assuming the baby is healthy etc. I took DS on a trip to FL when he was about 8 weeks old and all was well. I kept him covered and didn't play pass the baby etc. But really you need to do what you are ok with.
HTH
/hillary

cuca_
08-03-2007, 12:25 PM
We flew with DD #2 when she was about 7-8 weeks old. It was pretty easy. I agree with others though, I think you need to do what you are most comfortable with.

Carmen
DD May 2003
DD May 2005
and a boy due Dec 2007!

BillK
08-03-2007, 01:00 PM
Zach was 3 days old when we flew home from Los Angeles to Pittsburgh - of course we had no choice since his birthmom was from LA. He did fine though - slept pretty much the entire flight and endured the full search at the LA airport fine.

jd11365
08-03-2007, 01:37 PM
Kayla was 6 weeks old and honestly, it was the easiest flight I ever took with her. But you have to do what YOU are comfortable with.

hobokenmom
08-03-2007, 01:54 PM
We went to St. John (in the Caribbean) when my youngest was 6 weeks old. It was a fantastic vacation!!

ETA: This was in August, not during the winter. Had it been the winter, I may have thought twice about it, since there would be so many people coughing on the plane.

maestramommy
08-03-2007, 02:00 PM
I had the chance to take Arywn on the plane at just under 2 months, and we decided not to. One of the reasons was I don't think her immune system is quite ready, and with the circulating air....

marinkitty
08-03-2007, 02:05 PM
I flew with my second when he was about 7 weeks, maybe almost 8, for a trip for fun. It was only a couple hour flight and I was traveling with him alone so I didn't have to factor in taking care of my older one and I was feeling fine.

I agree what matters most is what you are comfortable with. I'm sorry for your loss, Deb.

Holly
Mom to Mia (3.03), Jack (3.05) and another arrival expected this fall!

egoldber
08-03-2007, 02:46 PM
With a healthy full-term baby, yes.

ellies mom
08-03-2007, 03:09 PM
We flew with DD at 7 weeks during Christmas. I made the return trip by myself. It really is a good age to fly.

stella
08-03-2007, 03:23 PM
I flew with my first when he was 6 weeks old. he was great. I flew alone with my second when she was 8 weeks. She was fabulous, too.

I think your problems will stem from trying to keep your 4 year old happy and quiet and caring for the new baby. THAT is where the situation will become difficult for you.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

trales
08-03-2007, 03:31 PM
We flew cross country at 6 weeks, it was great, she slept the entire flight. She will end up doing 6 cross country flights by the time she is 9 months. Not ideal, but what we do for aging grandparents.

luzagirl
08-03-2007, 03:53 PM
We flew with DD at 4 1/2 weeks for 12 hours (not counting 5 hour layover)and it was the easiest long flight we've taken with her--she nursed or slept the whole trip.
mom to lina (8/04)

Melaniee
08-03-2007, 04:16 PM
Unless it was a really close relative of mine, I probably wouldn't. If it was Dh's relative I'd send him and my regrets. It's sad to miss something where family needs support, but it's not as though the deceased will miss you and that is who it is about. KWIM?

fauve01
08-03-2007, 04:36 PM
we flew when DD was 9.5 weeks. she was born in OCT and we flew from LA to Detroit to visit my parents for christmas. DD's pediatrician OKed it because she had just had her 2 month shots (i forget which ones).

Honestly, as some PPs have mentioned, it was the easiest flight we've made with her. she spent almost the whole time nursing and dozing. I WISH our LA/detroit flights were as easy now!!! lol

good luck!

anne + DD 10-03

Marisa6826
08-03-2007, 07:59 PM
Personally, no. Too many germies in that recycled air. But you have to do what your gut tells you.

I think that unless it was an utter emergency, I would hold off until 6m old. And even then, if it was cold/flu season, all bets would be off. I do agree with PP that it would be your 4yo that would be more of a hassle than the newborn.

Condolences to your family, Deb.

hugs

-m

deborah_r
08-03-2007, 08:02 PM
Talking under 8 weeks old here? How about under 12 weeks old?

Just curious. We have had a death in the family, and we have decided not to fly for the services. I feel like our son is too young (7.5 weeks old) to fly, but I am wondering if we are just being weird about it.

August Mom
08-03-2007, 09:10 PM
I wouldn't. With all the recirculated air on the plane, I think the risk of illness for the baby is too much for me.

tylersmama
08-03-2007, 10:36 PM
We took DS on his first flight at 4 1/2 weeks. Our ped was totally fine with it, especially as it was during the summer months, so not as many germs floating around. He had done 3 round trips by 6 months old, and will have done 8 by 15 months.

It was so much easier flying at that age than it is now. He nursed or slept the entire flight. Now, after our last flight with Mr. Wiggleworm, I refuse to fly unless he has his own seat and can be securely strapped into his carseat!

ajmom
08-03-2007, 11:01 PM
Yes I would and have. DH's step-father died unexpectedly when DS1 was about 9 wks. old. DH went out early b/c his step-father was on life-support. When he passed, I wasn't about to drive there by myself with a newborn, so I flew. It was no big deal and I never even thought twice about it. But it is a personal choice so do what you feel is right for you and your family.

mudder17
08-03-2007, 11:24 PM
Ultimately, you have to do what YOU are comfortable with. If you went against your better instincts and he got sick, you'd end up feeling guilty about it. Chances are, with a full-term healthy baby this time of year, you would be fine. But there's always that one chance...

We did fly with DD#1 at 2 months and by the time she was a year old, she'd done at least 4 round trips by plane, two to FL (from Baltimore), one (or two--can't remember) to CA, and one to NM. But she was born in Feb., so her first trip was after the major cold season and by the time she was flying in the winter again, she was 10 months old.

With DD#2, our first trip was at 2.5 months (2 hours), the second was at 3.5 months (cross country by myself), the third at 6 months. The first two were during cold season, but I just didn't pass her around and banked on breastmilk helping her immune system fight off anything. As it turns out, I did catch a cold on the second trip, but she never showed any signs of it--I think she must have gotten the antibodies from me.

eta: I just read your other post. I am so sorry for your loss. I can't imagine what your sister is going through! :( Many hugs and prayers for your family.

Eileen

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_amethyst_36m.gif

http://www.tickercentral.com/view/6wrn/5.png

http://www.tickercentral.com/view/6wrn/2.png