PDA

View Full Version : Inexpensive (yet nice) Christmas gifts for a group of relatives-Suggestions??

Bens Momma
08-03-2007, 03:56 PM
In an effort to be more organized this year I am trying to start my Christmas shopping (or at least get an idea of what I need to buy) early this year. It's been a family tradition in DH's family that all the women (cousins, aunts,etc) give each other a small gift at the family Christmas party. It's a nice tradition and was meant to be a kind gesture that didn't cost much, in fact I think in the early years of doing it everyone made the gifts. Anyway the group has gotten larger and larger and with 2 little ones I just don't have the time to transform into "Martha" and make the gifts anymore. I want to give something thoughtful/useful that won't just get chucked in the trash, but can't afford to spend more than about $5 a piece! It can even be a group of little things centered around a theme (ie-I made a "Pamper yourself in 200x" a few years ago with some nice lotion, a votive, cheap mug, Lindor truffle, and a small pack of flavored coffee.) Has anyone seen anything out there that fits this criteria??? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

PS-I would even consider making/creating something if it was easy to do!

TIA-
Momma to 2 DS

katydid1971
08-03-2007, 04:02 PM
Micheals crafts has great $1 things that are so cute. I have found bath stuff, notepads, picture albums, etc there that I love. I always check out there $1 section first. They often have things that go together in collections. I noticed cute note cards with initials on them that would make a nice gift.
HTH
Sarah

Bean606
08-03-2007, 04:15 PM
How about a Christmas ornament? You can find really nice, inexpensive ones at places like Marshalls, TJ Maxx, Filene's etc, or you can make them. The other thing that I always find useful are those cube notepads. I keep them by each phone in the house. I also like the magnetic pads that you can hang on a refrigerator for grocery lists. I've seen them in discount places for around $3. Maybe you could do those with some inexpensive potholders, trivets, or dishtowels for a little cute kitchen theme.

cchavez
08-04-2007, 01:56 PM
How about some bath and bodyworks kitchen soap w/ a dishtowel?

gatorsmom
08-04-2007, 07:15 PM
Oh, you took mine! I was going to suggest going to one of those open-all-year Christmas places and buy some ornaments (since at this time of year, you can always find something on sale). Since you started early, you could even look into having them monogrammed or personalized. Same goes for personalized notepads/post-it notes.

Picture frames of your family and/or the kids are always good too.

This might be over your budget, but you could give them a chick-flick DVD. I always find interesting movie in the clearance bin at Walmart-usually some oldie that I loved and had forgotten about.

Lisa
Mom to Gator July 2003
And Cha-Cha July 2005
and surprise! twins due 11/07!

Bens Momma
08-04-2007, 09:50 PM
Great suggestions everyone! I knew you clever mommas would have some good ideas.....Keep em coming! In the meantime I think I'll stop in to Michael and B&BW and see what they have on sale!

Thanks!
Momma to 2 DS

fortato
08-04-2007, 09:59 PM
In the spring I bought a dozen star-shaped candy dishes at the Crate and Barrel outlet. They were about $2 each. I've used them for hostess gifts, and last minute gifts when I need them.

I've filled them with candy, tea bags, Lip Balms (I got from B&BW for a buck each. All kinds of stuff. I wrap it up in tulle and it makes for a nice gift.
All for under $5 usually.

Check out the Crate and Barrel outlet online... they might have something good.

cdlamis
08-04-2007, 10:23 PM
I noticed cute
>note cards with initials on them that would make a nice gift.

I was going to suggest the exact same thing. They have notecards, post-its and "to do" lists with the initials on them. They are VERY cute and all $1 each. I bought a few for extra gifts this year.

Daniella
Mom to Julia 6/02
and Bella 12/04
"http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif"

ilovetivo
08-04-2007, 10:48 PM
charity donations in their names? They don't even need to know how much you spent. Ex: diseases, education, plant trees/environmental stuff, shelters, africa

Small book of your favorite recipes

framed pic of your ds' drawings

shilo
08-05-2007, 03:16 AM
have you ever seen "cookies-in-a-jar"? - they are a favorite of our friends and family. cheap and easy to make - the most expensive part is the canning jar, and you can usually find those on sale somewhere for 8 or 9 dollars/dozen - the rest is just cookie ingredients you buy in bulk and a small decoration and personalized tag or sticker w/ instructions for the top.

there are more recipes out there than you can imagine - just google it or head over to allrecipes.com. christmas one's are easy b/c you can choose something holiday-ish like red/green M&M cookies in a jar or gingerbread cookies in a jar. there are oatmeal raisin recipes and snickerdoodle recipes and many others too if none of those strike your fancy. i know i've seen hot cocoa and hot apple cider mix in a jar recipes too.

you can jazz it up simply by using a small round or square of xmas fabric tied over the top with some ribbon (see below), or i've really jazzed them up by including little gingerbread man/woman or xmas tree cookie cutters tied into the decoration on top. a small xmas garland or ornament is really cute to.

here is the basic idea:
http://spoken-for.org/archives/2005/12/28/1349/
http://allrecipes.com/Recipes/Baking/Cookies/Cookie-Mix-in-a-Jar/Main.aspx

the trick to any of the recipes is to pack the layers so that you end up with distinct stripes in the jar. i usually layer mine as follows: mix the flour w/whatever other dry ingredients (powder/soda/salt/tartar/etc) the recipe calls for and pack that layer in the bottom first - a blunt end rolling pin or small ladle works best to pack it. then the brown sugar packed as hard as you can to seal in the flour mix, then the white sugar, and last the candy, chips or raisins. if you're doing oats, put those on the very bottom, under the flour - but that layer will only stay distinct looking from the flour/dry ingred. mix if you put a small wax paper circle in between the oats and flour to help keep them separate. if you're feeling really brave, you can experiment with splitting the m&m's and adding one layer between the brown and white sugar, but some of the white sugar will sift down into the space between the chips unless you use wax paper - which is fine as long as you're ok with a little sifting.

i usually do the recipe/instructions on the lined side of a 3x5 index card and cut around the edge with a pair of those decorative cutting scissors (like fancy pinking shears). on the plain side, i do my xmas greeting. i did a stick on label one year, but it covers part of the layers in the jar which is part of what makes it so pretty, so i prefer the tied on tag IMHO.

if you want to go the cheapest decoration method, pick up a small piece of xmas fabric. cut with pinking shears into squares or circles that will leave a 3-4inch diameter of fabric bigger than the lid. put the canning disc on the top of the jar, then layer with a tiny poof of batting or stuffing, then your piece of fabric and then screw down the ring on top. it makes a little padded "poouf" on top. add a little bow and you're good to go for a few cents a piece.

hth, lori
Sam 5/19/05 How lucky I am that you chose me.