PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know anything about Bonsai trees?

kristenk
08-03-2007, 09:34 PM
DH's birthday is in 2 weeks. The man has everything. If there's something that he really wants, he'll go ahead and buy it himself. That leaves me with very few gift ideas.

I just remembered today that we saw an HGTV show that had a bonsai tree in it and he mentioned that he always liked those. He's definitely into gardening and tending plants, so I really think a bonsai tree would be a good gift for him. (Plus, I alway thought they were neat!)

Does anyone have any resources for bonsai plants/trees? Does anyone know anything about them? I'm guessing I'd have to get one online...maybe? This really could be the perfect (and unexpected) gift for him if I can just get it together in time for his birthday!

hellokitty
08-03-2007, 09:51 PM
Not to be a downer, but bonsai trees are notoriously difficult to raise. I had a distant uncle who was really into them and he tried to get my parents into it too. My mom is a natural green thumb, but all the bonsai plants she tried to raise failed and everyone else I know who has tried it has had trouble with it too.

Now, if your DH likes a challenge, maybe he'll really enjoy bonsai trees. They do look really cool.

1ceng1
08-03-2007, 10:14 PM
DH decided to surprise me with one a few years ago. I killed it within months. It was harder to maintain than I had thought. I had a hard time getting the water/sunlight requirement just right. If you're looking for an easy to care for plant, this is not the one. I did buy a fern-like curly-q plant from COstco months ago. It is holding up great in my kitchen and was only $25.