PDA

View Full Version : Is my DS the only boy who avoids art/puzzles/crafts/etc?

hardysmom
08-06-2007, 03:46 PM
Lots of the boys in our 4 yr old pre-school program seem to have either too much energy, too little patience, fine motor issues, or some combination of the above to really enjoy art projects, puzzles, and other sit-down activities which require concentration.

My son has some fine motor issues for which we do OT. It isn't like we don't TRY to get him into it.

There are CERTAINLY exceptions. And, 4 yr olds are fickle. Still, as a rule, the boys (and many girls) just aren't there. They will sit at the art station and do just enough to be able to move on and they are OUTTA THERE.

I keep reading posts about boys who are into art and legos and puzzles. Am I the only one who rarely brings home a silly, but heartfelt little drawing from school? Who doesn't bother to open the boxes and boxes of puzzles in the closet? Whose kids take the playing pieces out of games to stage rescues, but who would never actualy PLAY Candyland?

Oh well.. I can't say I really WANT to play Candyland.

Stephanie

punkrockmama
08-06-2007, 06:02 PM
Stephanie, my big kid will be four in January and is starting preschool in September.

He'll finger paint, color, cut & paste.....for about oh, say 10 min. or so. Then the crayons are "brothers" walking around together, the scissors are plane flying thru the air (eek), etc...He's never, ever been big into puzzles. He'll take the pieces and play with them. Like with a community vehicle puzzle, he will take the abulance and drive it around. With other ones the pieces become something like stamps or whatever.

When I ask him if he'd like to paint or do crafts he usually says something like "Not now mommie, me too busy." When he is doing art he'll say "Can I get down now, me missing all the fun."

I wouldn't even think about buying him board games at this point

I'm not worried about it. He's got a rockin' imagination. :) It goes well with my attention span (it's about as big as a gnat).

ETC: because I have no concept of time,lol.

new_mommy25
08-07-2007, 02:01 AM
Drawings? Nope. My DS still does big scribbles which I admit bothers me a bit. My nephew is 2 and already drawing things.

Puzzles and board games are huge around here but he gets it from me. I always loved them when I was a kid too.

MelissaTC
08-07-2007, 07:07 AM
M is 5 and he LOVES games and puzzles. He is so into them it is scary. I like board games but not puzzles. DH is a puzzle/game freak so I guess he gets it from him. The two of them have been playing a lot of chess lately.

He will color and do a craft, but it is not his favorite thing to do. He likes to play rocket ships and robots with the crayons instead. Legos are one of his favorite toys but I really think it is because of how his little brain works. He prefers to do activities that require problem solving aka toys/games that Mommy thinks are kind of boring at times. :P

lizajane
08-07-2007, 07:51 AM
schuyler's preschool teacher constantly remarks on his love and talent for art, which leads me to believe that it is very unusual! so while my child is a big art/craft/puzzle fan, i think he is the exception to the rule not your son!

mamicka
08-07-2007, 08:50 AM
My 4 yo *loves* puzzles & boardgames. We have played Candyland for hours at a time & he helps with "grown-up" puzzles. But art, not so much. He does like to use scissors but not really to make art. I think that all kids are just different.

Allison

octmom
08-07-2007, 02:52 PM
My DS will be four at the end of October. He loves to draw and does it daily. This has been the case for maybe six months or so. It may have started because DH would draw with DS and make things out of construction paper while I was putting DD to bed. They have made some pretty funny things out of just construction paper, markers, and tape-- costumes, pretend candles, volcanoes, etc. I wish I had the same creativity! DS is not interested in puzzles at all (as many times as I have tried!) and we have never really tried board games.

DS runs around like a madman sometimes too (usually on the playground at daycare, but also at home) so I don't think it is an either/ or situation.

Jerilyn
DS, 10/03
DD, 3/06

gatorsmom
08-07-2007, 03:33 PM
My 4yr old loves to do crafts and such- as long as an adult or older child is playing with him. So, if the teacher has his class sitting down to a project, he'll stay put to do the project. If he's alone, he's only good for 10 minutes. Puzzles he won't even sit down to- unless I"m sitting there working on it with him. Then he'll stay at it until it's finished.

Lisa
Mom to Gator July 2003
And Cha-Cha July 2005
and surprise! twins due 11/07!

emilyf
08-07-2007, 04:15 PM
My ds is like that- he will build a (simple) sword, gun or spaceship out of legos but doesn't care for puzzles or crafts particularly. He has lately gotten interested in drawing sharks and men with swords (because he discovered he can) but hasn't shown any interest in art beyond that. His teachers have told me that art is his least favorite activity at school. Music is his favorite.
Emily mom of Charlie born 11/02 and Zoe born 9/05

kransden
08-07-2007, 11:55 PM
I taught Art to Kindergarteners last year. Your little guy is typical. There were always some kids that acted like that. They would build stuff out of the markers rather then actually use them to draw. My favorite were the rocket boys. The markers were always rockets flying through the air. The art they did was honestly scribbled crap, but that just wasn't what they were in to. Who wants to be distracted from your mission to save the world from evil alien invaders to draw a picture of a fish? :)

That's just who he is. Maybe he'll like the puzzles later and maybe he won't. We all like different things. I wouldn't sweat it. I might start stocking up on action figures since they often die horrible deaths lol!

Karin and Katie 10/24/02

deenass
08-08-2007, 05:25 PM
DS is 4 and at his pre-school evaluation meeting his teacher commented that he was one of few boys that really enjoyed the arts and crafts projects that they did at school - so it sounds to me like your son is pretty "typical".

aa2mama
08-08-2007, 08:00 PM
DS isn't much into crafts. He does like the rocket on the label of our craft bucket, though. Playdough is about as crafty as we get. But legos, legos are right up there with matchbox cars. He's been really into puzzles for the past few weeks, too. I wonder if it's a passing fancy or if they'll keep holding his interest.