PDA

View Full Version : Gift Suggestions for Couple Whose DS Hasn't Left the Hospital for 2 months after birth

NeyhaR
08-06-2007, 04:18 PM
A good friend tried to get pregant for over 5 years and was finally blessed with DS! As far as I know, the pregnancy went well, but when DS was born in June (on time and at a healthy weight), he had to have emergency surgery immediately. The surgery was successful and he's recovering, but he's still in the hospital 2 months later.

I am heartsick for my friend! I didn't make it to her shower, and always intended to send a gift when the baby was born, but I didn't know what to do. I don't live near her, so I haven't been able to provide support in person. I want to *do* something, or send them something to celebrate her DS's birth and give them some support. I feel weird sending a standard baby item or clothes. Any ideas for something thoughtful that they might actually use?

TIA!

Melanie
08-06-2007, 04:33 PM
Meal/Dinner/Restaurant-near-hospital certificates? Perhaps a house-cleaning service certificate? I would imagine all they want to do is be with their son right now so any extra things you could arrange to be taken care of would likely be a great help.

lisams
08-06-2007, 05:12 PM
Some ideas:

engraved picture frame or photo album
really soft blanket, perhaps embroidered with baby's name and birthdate
some bright cheerful toys since he's two months he's close to really playing with/grabbing/mouthing toys

I personally would give her something you normally would for a baby shower and then perhaps a giftcard for food to go along. I don't see a giftcard for food as really a baby gift, IYKWIM? I think it would be a super nice gesture though.

icunurse
08-06-2007, 05:17 PM
I would definitely include a little something baby specific, like an outfit or something. She probably received a lot at her shower or has purchased stuff. But I think food would be great! I know with us having a baby home suddenly who takes up a little more time than we expected and just wanting to have some time to settle and bond, I would have kissed anyone who brought us food or gave us a giftcard/certificate for a local place. I hope everything continues to go well for your friend and her family. :)
DS - 2004
DD - 2007

tiapam
08-06-2007, 09:10 PM
If she didn't know she was having a boy, I would send some blue bibs. Everyone sends blue clothes but not many people send bibs. I had to go out and get DD some purple and pink bibs after she was born so the yellow and green ones wouldn't clash with the cute outfits everyone sent.

You might also consider sending books, since I assume they could read to him in the hospital.

-Pam

DD - Two years old!

JoyNChrist
08-06-2007, 11:27 PM
I was also going to suggest books.

I was born almost 3 months premature (2 lbs, 9 oz), and spent the first 3 months of my life in the NICU. To this day, any time someone mentions my birth, my parents always bring up how comforting it was to be able to read to me in the hospital (they didn't even get to hold me until I was 2 months old). I like to think that's why I've always had such a love for reading.

NeyhaR
08-07-2007, 01:00 PM
Thanks for the suggestions! I just sent them a ton of books and a GC for dinner! I hope their DS comes home and becomes a loving reader too! :)

SASM
08-08-2007, 03:51 AM
Stacy

SO WAS I!! Born 3 months premature at 2# 1oz. :) It is just amazing to hear about others my age being born so early and surviving without deficits. :)

Neyha,

I am so glad that you got the gift certificate and books! That was what I was going to suggest (that and a personalized chamois blanket from PBK). :) Definitely a different situation but still NICU related, when Jera was in the hospital with Natalie for 4 months I bought her the BBB collective gift of prepackaged split Super Supper meals. She still talks about how much that gift was a LIFESAVER since she had DH and two toddlers at home to feed in between visits to the NICU. I also bought her a few books to read to Natalie, so Natalie could hear her voice and she could feel a connection to her while not being able nurse or hold her. I wish your friend and her baby the best of luck!! May he be in their arms and HOME very soon. :)

ETA: I just noticed that our due dates are exactly one week apart! For a moment I thought that it was the same day, as I am not used to saying that I am at Wk 33. :) NEAT!! I hope that you are feeling well.

NeyhaR
08-09-2007, 06:22 PM
Thanks! I have to say I'm jealous of your being even a week ahead! I'm getting to the very tired and very heavy point, which has coincided "nicely" with DS's newfound sense of adventure and energy! It also doesn't help that my mom keeps telling me that DDs come late, not early. Is that true??

Hope you're feeling better than I am! Congrats and good luck!