PDA

View Full Version : I'm looking at my first playdate here

punkrockmama
08-06-2007, 06:30 PM
and I'm nervous. We exchanged numbers and now I feel like a guy wanting to call some girl and ask her out. Here's our love story:

I met this really cool mom at the library today. She has a boy almost four (just like us!) and a girl who's getting ready to turn one (just like us!)--I'm swooning over here ;). Anyway, the guys hit it off immediately and act thick as thieves. The gals eyeballed each other, and shared some make up tips. Me and the mom actually had a really nice conversation. When it was time for them to go, she suggested we get together for a playdate. I'm so excited because I don't have anybody to hang out with that has kids too.

Okay, so here's the part I need help with. When should I call? I don't want to seem stalkerish but I'm amped to have maybe found another mom friend. I thought about calling on Friday to set something up for next week.

When I do call, what should I suggest? Meeting at a park or coming over here? Either way is cool with me, but I thought maybe a person wouldn't want to go to a person's house they've only met once.

Any advice would be great.

I. Am. So. Lame.

Thanks!

1ceng1
08-06-2007, 06:39 PM
LOL. Based on your previous posts, I would have never taken you as one to get nervous over a playdate. I can understand though that your "first time" may be a bit nerve racking. I think Friday would be good, if not maybe Thursday. Since this was the first time you met, she may forget that you had discussed a playdate if you wait too long to call. Again, since you met only once, I would think the park would be ideal. I have almost always done the park as first time playdates with people. Good luck, though I don't think you will need it. The kids will dictate how it will all go down.

HTH!

Pennylane
08-06-2007, 07:03 PM
I would not hesitate to call her on Thursday or Friday. I think I would suggest meeting at a park or play area for your first "date".

You are not lame at all! It is exciting to meet someone you connect with! My best friend and I met in almost that same way. Keep us updated.

Ann

DrSally
08-06-2007, 07:08 PM
Cool! I think calling Thurs or Fri would be perfect. I also agree to meet at a park or something for the first date. She is the one that suggested it, so she likes you too! Have fun. It is great when you can meet another mom you click with.

CiderLogan
08-06-2007, 07:31 PM
You are so funny! You're quite charming on the boards, so this mom is lucky to have found you as a friend, too! :)

Calling Friday for next week at the park sounds perfect. I'd also wait on doing at your house until you know each other better.

It's funny what little things make us happy as moms, huh?

Jenny
~~~~~
Mommy to two beautiful girls,
ages 1 and almost 4

s7714
08-07-2007, 12:08 AM
I'd suggest meeting at a park or other neutral ground. That way if either of the kids ends up being a holy terror you don't have to worry about your house being vandalized or being surprised if their mom has completely different rules than you do. Not to mention you can always make up an excuse to leave the park early if things don't work out--it's a bit harder to kick someone out of your house. ;)

Jennifer
Mommy to
Miss Pure Energy 3/03
Miss Limit Tester 6/05

Our bones may be brittle, but our spirit is unbreakable.
Osteogenesis Imperfecta www.oif.org

punkrockmama
08-08-2007, 06:46 AM
>LOL. Based on your previous posts, I would have never taken
>you as one to get nervous over a playdate.

Haha. Well, I just look like a bad@ss. Deep down inside I'm a downright muffin. :)

punkrockmama
08-08-2007, 06:48 AM
>You are so funny! You're quite charming on the boards, so
>this mom is lucky to have found you as a friend, too! :)
>

Oh Jenny girl. You do go on. Stop, you're making me blush. :)

punkrockmama
08-08-2007, 06:53 AM
Thanks for the advice guys. I think I'll call on Friday. It's funny, last night I was talking to one of my friends on the phone and I was all "OOoh I met somebody." My friend was like "Um, WHat?". LOL, it is funny what makes our day as mamas.

I thought so on the park thing. I don't have the space I used to have anyway right now. I hope it works out. I don't have much in common with the other moms around here so it was a blast.

I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks again. :)

lmintzer
08-08-2007, 08:17 AM
Sheila,
Go for it! I hope you have fun. It's so awesome to find other moms you connect to. It took me a little while--we moved to where we live now with a 4 year-old and a 1 1/2 year-old, and I really needed mom company too.

I'm sure you'll have a good time. You sound like a cool and fun person--I'm sure this mom will be happy that you called!

Melanie
08-08-2007, 03:52 PM
LOL, I know how you feel.

I'd definitely go for 'neutral' ground. Park, storytime, indoor playground, garden, mall playground, kids' museum...are a few places that come to mind.