PDA

View Full Version : Overseas Mom to be - Baby shower?

babybunny
08-07-2007, 12:45 PM
My friend's daughter is overseas in Germany living on a military base (her husband is enlisted). She is due in January. Her mom is planning a baby shower for early this fall in the US when she returns for a short visit. She is currently registered at BabiesRus. Everything has to be shipped back to Germany.

Her dad suggested a $$$$ only baby shower. Ugh.

Does anyone have any ideas?

I was wondering if she registered at Amazon.com, could the gifts be purchased and shipped directly to Germany (APO)?

Also, the most pressing issue is the crib -- she wants a US standards crib. (Her father thinks it's crazy to ship it back to Germany) She doesn't think the safety standards are as stringent in Germany. Anyone have any input on this?

hardysmom
08-07-2007, 02:49 PM
First, Germans are pretty into regulations so I would be shocked if their cribs weren't up to par with the US and the rest of the EU.... It is a big hand-me-down culture (as are military bases), so maybe she is seeing old cribs, not new ones? That said, some things look different- I remember tht my SIL was MUCH more comfortable with squarish IKEA shaped cribs and tables than the American variety.

My husband grew up in Germany and my BIL and SIL (who is German) have been posted there (currently in Heideberg) for 3 years, with 3 more to go...

If she has her heart set on a new US crib, maybe everyone could chip in at the shower to ship it over.

Shipping to an APO really isn't a whole lot more expensive than shipping Priority in the US... It may take 6 weeks to arrive. I send BIG Christmas packages for $20 or so... Assuming no one bought giant stuff, like swings, it wouldn't be THAT big of a deal.

Most of the standard stuff she should be able to get locally, so in that respect, I agree with your dad. I'd rather have $100 to spend than have $100 in shipping fees, kwim? Plus, German "gear" is pretty darn cool. They have some of the best baby items in the world.

Amazon does ship to APOs, so that is another idea.

Stephanie

denna
08-08-2007, 08:26 AM
*Speaking from experience (had DS here, in Italy, military base APO address)*

Unless you ship the crib via UPS (to Germany) since an APO only accepts USPS which for us was estimated at (to Italy) $300-$400 half the price+ of the crib. The crib can absolutely *not* be shipped overseas. My family tried breaking the crib down into several boxes and no matter what they did the crib was too big to be shipped via the Post Office.

As far as Babies R Us the last I *tried* to shop their they did not ship to an APO address on most products. Target does ship APO as well as Walmart, JCPenney, Janie & Jack, Gymboree, Old Navy, GAP, Baby Age, Baby Universe, Baby Center Store, Baby Jogger, and more. As far as gift ideas we did the same in asking for $$ or G.C. so I would do one or the other if it were up to me.

HTH.

PS If you have any other questions let me know. Also if she is at an Army or Air Force Base and AAFES gift card www.aafes.com may also be helpful.

shburks
08-09-2007, 05:09 AM
Here's another thought...

The military exchange stores (AAFES, NEX, etc) now have a Transship program if you order through their catalog. That means she could order a US crib by placing the order with her local exchange store (in person in the customer service department), and they will ship the crib to her in Germany. It takes a long time (8-12 weeks). She could only get a crib that was offered through the Military Exchange catalog or on-line site, but they are now carrying Million Dollar Baby, Sorelle, and some other good lines for cribs. She would still have to get $$ for the crib and then buy it herself though.

For those of us who are military and have baby showers "back home," money, gift certificates, and small gifts that pack easily are the norm.