PDA

View Full Version : Cooking light vs. Light and Tasty vs. Eating Well magazines

smkinc
08-08-2007, 01:00 AM
I subscribed to Cooking Light for years, but never renewed as I was getting a little tired of all the non-cooking info. in the magazine.

Does anyone have experience with either Light and Tasty or Eating Well magazines.

Which would you recommend.

TIA,

Mary
Mom to J. Feb. '03

boolady
08-08-2007, 08:24 AM
I used to love Eating Well magazine, but a few years ago (probably longer than I realize), I couldn't find it for a year or two and I think it was off of the market. Since it reappeared, I really haven't cared too much for the format, and still like the recipes in Cooking Light better.

There IS a lot of fluff in CL, but I do use the recipes from there more than any other magazine source. You also get free access to their website, which seems to have every recipe they've ever published on it. I've printed a lot of recipes out from the website. I don't know anything about L&T.

smkinc
08-08-2007, 10:28 AM
Thanks, I'll just go with cooking light. I did like the recipes and it's good to know about the access to their website.

Mary
Mom to J. Feb. '03

bostonsmama
08-08-2007, 11:08 AM
I don't know about anyone else, but I really like the fluff in Cooking Light. It's almost saved me from having to buy other completer magazines to find out about eco fashion, great trail hikes, exercises (I got seriously toned arms using a set they had a pictoral of one month), and the like. They still have a great index in the back, a monthly explanation of wine pairings, cook kitchen gadgets, and explanation of a food of the month (like all you ever needed to know about tomatoes or the potato or zucchini, etc). Their recipes rock! I haven't made a single bad one...well...scratch that...their peppermint chocolate cupcakes were gross, but EVERYTHING else has been wonderful. No lie, I lost 40lbs last fall using Cooking Light recipes combined with regular exercise. And it's forced me to experiment with different ingredients w/out feeling like I'm eating greasy, unhealthy muck. My new fav recipe is their Creamed Zucchini Soup and the Marinated Grilled Chicken Breast with Watermelon-Mango-Jalepeno Salsa. Divine! And I'm making a blueberry-peach cobbler from CL tonight.

You can access all of their recipes, as well as the ones from Southern Living and Real Simple (also good, but not as great) at www.myrecipes.com If you do a search you'll see that I've reviewed quite a few recipes on there. ;)

juliasmom05
08-08-2007, 11:16 AM
I actually like the fluff as well :).

Marci

boolady
08-08-2007, 11:26 AM
Me, too. I think that the fluff has actually gotten better in the last few years. I like the travel pieces they've been doing, and their index and wine info. can't be beat.