PDA

View Full Version : Food tastes better with McDonald's logo

punkrockmama
08-08-2007, 06:10 AM
http://tinyurl.com/2fjo46

This made me sad when I read this for some reason. I'm not against a good McFlurry every now and again (oreo, please). And I wouldn't have a problem with my kids having the odd happy meal. But we'd never move in there and this article creeped me out.

Brainwashed is right.

Sillygirl
08-08-2007, 07:07 AM
I cringed when I read it too, but I really think their control group was messed up. They wrapped food in a McDonald's wrapper or a plain wrapper and asked the kids which food tasted better. So they've proven that kids like decorated wrappers, basically, which anyone with a toddler can tell you. A better experiment would be to include a wrapper that has a decorative but meaningless logo and see what they prefer.

KBecks
08-08-2007, 07:44 AM
Advertising works. Even if it's just the golden arches sign and the Ronald McDonald statue. I'm sure McD's execs are delighted.

I felt bad when my son started learning brand names at under 3 years old, and yes, McDonalds is in his first brand name words learned.

However, I'm not freaking out about it. We're all influenced by branding and brand names, and we have more control over shaping our children's diets.

hardysmom
08-08-2007, 08:21 AM
You sound like me... I bad methodolgy drives me NUTS.

stephanie

gatorsmom
08-08-2007, 09:08 AM
I don't think all the credit can go to the advertising execs (although, don't get me wrong- I detest that they target innocent children for all types of marketing). But if you were to offer my kids their favorite crackers in a different box, they might be more skeptical of them. Don't we all prefer things that are familiar?

Lisa
Mom to Gator July 2003
And Cha-Cha July 2005
and surprise! twins due 11/07!

Ceepa
08-08-2007, 09:22 AM
What about those kids who eat McDonald's infrequently so that if offered a burger in a bright McD wrapper they'd probably select it for the novelty that it is to them?

-Ceepa

overcome
08-08-2007, 09:51 AM
Media literacy was a`topic our elem. school focused on one year...very interesting stuff...

"Media literacy was originally established as an educational tool to protect people from what many perceived to be mass media's ill effects"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_literacy

This guide helps families explore the effects of media in their lives, and stimulates family discussion on media. Talking points and activity suggestions help families understand differences between media entertainment and real-life values.
http://pbskids.org/dontbuyit/

I myself tend to buy name brand rather than generic. Not that I'd be happy if my kid picked the burger wrapped in the Mickey D's wrapper over the plain wrapper, even though they were the same.....

JBaxter
08-08-2007, 01:45 PM
Call me a bad mom but about 6 months ago ( when we started Nathan on the feingold diet) I started saying "EEEWWW greesey yucky french fries lets go home and make good ones" when we would pass McD's Now every time we pass a McDonald's he says EEEWWW greesey yucky food.
Children can be reconditioned LOL

thomma
08-08-2007, 06:29 PM
The only thing my kids will eat from McDs is a parfait. Actually when they see the logo they ask if they can play/climb...I don't think they realize it's a place to get "food". Not a bad thing, I guess.

Kim
ds&dd 5/03

JustMe
08-08-2007, 09:27 PM
Yep, I brainwashed dd the other way. We are vegetarians, and I will not do anything at McDonalds. When we pass a McDonalds dd says "Eeew, Old McDonalds, they don't have good food there"/

Robyn

punkrockmama
08-10-2007, 07:34 PM
You guys all brought up lots of good points I didn't even think of. I read that and pictured rows of slack jawed kids scarfing down big macs. We don't go enough that my kids know the name, and I get no reaction when we drive by. However, Peyton does ask every time we get in the car "Mommie, are we going to Tarbuks?" ;)

moncheechee
08-10-2007, 07:52 PM
That study really made me sick too. Ever since I saw the movie, SuperSized, I cannot eat at McDonalds. The food is really addictive and I can't imagine feeding that to my kids. Before I watched the movie, I felt bad after eating the stuff and now I know why. I know some people who take their kids to McD's several times a week. I mean how hard is it to pop some Chik Nug into the oven with some fries? Parents need to take more responsibility for their kids diets. I do agree however that the control in the study was screwed as others have said. Still I think it is bad for kids to even know about stuff like that. Take them to the farmer's market and explain that real food comes from there.