PDA

View Full Version : Clean House, Clean Planet Mamas

nicoleandjackson
08-08-2007, 03:10 PM
As a result of our recent move, and in keeping with the whole theme of "starting over", I'm gonna go green, y'all! At least I'm going to get started...

I bought the CH,CP book on Half.com a few weeks ago, and I am totally inspired. I found some nice spray bottles in the garden section at Target and let DS go to town with the club soda. He was in little hog heaven!!!

So, my question is regarding the scented baking sodas. What kind of container do you use as an air freshener? I wanted to put a bowl out in the bathroom, but I read in some old posts that baking soda etches glass. Perhaps porcelain? Fancy wood bowl?

Also, I tried to go to Karen Logan's website and it no longer exists. Does anyone know what's up with that? I was really considering purchasing her bottles with the recipes built in...

Speaking of which, do you label your bottles? Do you laminate them? What do you use?

Sorry this turned out to be quite a bit longer than I intended...

TIA!

Nicole, Mommy to Jackson 4/30/02

JBaxter
08-08-2007, 03:26 PM
I write on my bottles with a sharpie. I didnt used to because I color code ( blue bottle was the club soda for glass, green bottle was merlin magic) that was UNTIL I made the furniture polish and put it in a pampered chef oil spritzer. Its lemom, olive oil and I think a little vinegar... it didnt get put away and DH made Nathan's eggs with it the next morning LOL NOW every thing is marked with a black sharpie.

I sit a reused parmasan cheese container behind the base of the toilet hidden with the top opened for my scented baking soda I then use it to clean the toilet.

If I left it "out" nathan would play in it.

MommyAllison
08-08-2007, 05:46 PM
I'll try to help with the bottle labelling questions. I do label my spray bottles, with the name of the cleaner, then the directions to make it, and a simple ingredient list at the bottom (in case we needed to quickly know what was in it - like if DD drank it or something). I printed them on regular paper, then laminated them individually using a laminator with business card size laminating pockets. Then I used clear packing tape to put them on the bottles. It looks really nice, if I say so myself. :)

Allison
Mama to DD 11/05

hellokitty
08-08-2007, 07:12 PM
I checked that book out from the library so many times, I finally broke down and bought it! I have not tried the BS air freshners yet, but I kept some old spice bottles (like the BIG ones from sam's club) that I am planning to use for it.

Her website doesn't exist, b/c I get the feeling she never put it up. If you read the reviews on amazon, a few ppl complain about this.

As for labeling the bottles, what I did was actually typed up and printed the recipes, cut them out and then used clear pkg tape to tape them onto the bottle. This way when it is time to make more, I don't have to drag out my book, I can just read the recipes right off of the bottle. I have tried using permanent marker on those type of bottles before and they always eventually rub off, so that is why I went through route. It is a little bit more work at the beginning, but well worth it, b/c I think it keeps you better organized and just in case someone accidentally ingested or got some cleaner in their eye, I can immediately look at the bottle and know what ingredients are in it, instead of having to scurry around looking for the book.

kcimato
08-08-2007, 09:20 PM
ROFL :)

nicoleandjackson
08-09-2007, 08:31 PM
...and since I have an overabundance of packing tape from the recent move, I made them up, lickety-split!

My first pass at labels almost caused DH to nose his milk with laughter. He then mumbled something sounding vaguely like "obsess much?" :).

Thanks, everyone for the suggestions. Keep 'em coming!

BTW, the big 32 oz. bottles from Target worked great for the Earth Mop--they are fat and squat, not tall and thin like the Rubbermaid bottles from the cleaning supply aisle.

Nicole, Mommy to Jackson 4/30/02

ebsimone
08-11-2007, 01:42 PM
This site sells empty bottles and "kits." It may be a little more than you want to spend. I'll probably just buy cheap bottles an label them myself, and use this to for gifts:

http://www.eco-me.com/homepage.html