PDA

View Full Version : Craigslist transactions question

deborah_r
08-09-2007, 09:44 PM
I've never bought or sold anything on CL. I just contacted a woman to buy a snap-n-go type stroller. From my communication with her, I get the impression she wants me to pick it up at her house. I assumed we would meet at a Starbucks or a park or something. I mean, who would want complete strangers coming to their home? I wouldn't feel safe, and I don't think I'll feel safe going to someone's house whom I don't know.

How is this usually handled?

gatorruth
08-09-2007, 10:21 PM
I've had people come to my house several times- women only. I've been to other people's homes too. I tell DH where I'm going and always call him when I'm done. Do what you feel is best- I'm sure that the lady has to go to the grocery store at some point- maybe you can suggest that you meet in the parking lot???

Good luck!

Ruth

kep
08-09-2007, 10:48 PM
We usually meet up at the Starbucks. I won't have people coming over to my house either. The only time I did that, it was for a mom with her two kids, and my dh was home.

Kelli

Proud Mommy to Lukey (2003). Weaned after 3 years of happy nursing!
And Mommy to our newest baby, Joseph, born 3 days after Christmas.

suz
08-09-2007, 10:52 PM
I've been over to the sellers' house before and I've had people come to my house. I would have my husband with me in either situation. If he doesn't go with me, then I would meet at a public place, like a local starbucks. It really depends on your comfort level. If you don't feel comfortable, then ask if you can meet at a public place.

DrSally
08-10-2007, 12:31 PM
I mostly buy, rather than sell, but the one time someone came over, it was in the evening when DH was here. I've been to many people's houses--always other moms. We usually meet outside their house. I've never felt weird about it at all around here.

Tondi G
08-10-2007, 01:34 PM
Only thing I bought off Craigslist was a swingset so naturally we had to go to their house to SEE it in their backyard! I went with my mom and my little one. The seller was a SAHM too. I didn't feel uncomfortable. If you don't feel comfortable ask her if she would mind just meeting at a starbucks or park near her. I am sure she would respect your desire to be safe... for you and for her!

~Tondi

KBecks
08-10-2007, 01:35 PM
I've picked up items at people's houses and I've sold things from my home too. It depends on your comfort levels. Both times I was not alone and I probably wouldn't go alone for a purchase or sale.

ETA: I should note that the transactions weren't inside the house, they were both 'on the driveway' kind of sales. However, I've written out paperwork to sell a car on my kitchen table, so I'm not opposed to having buyers in my home. I see it kind of like a one-transaction garage sale.

deborah_r
08-10-2007, 04:03 PM
thanks for the replies

I'm more worried that "she" is really like some weird psycho guy pretending to be a SAHM luring in moms with little kids, KWIM.

I think DH is going to go with me.

lmintzer
08-10-2007, 04:13 PM
Hi Deb. I've been selling baby gear on Craigslist, and I have been inviting people to come to the house. Usually, I correspond with them up and back by e-mail and or phone, so I get a feel for them. If I ever got any bad vibes, I certainly would have met them in a public place (or not sold to them at all). But so far, my instincts have been right, and the people have been very nice.

In fact, just today, a women who came for my baby gate called me and said she had trouble installing it. She lives nearby, so I stopped by her house to help her out. My boys wound up playing with her 5! boys and had a great time.

I wouldn't be too worried, but definitely bring dh with you if you feel safer.

ppshah
08-10-2007, 09:45 PM
I always meet in a public place if I'm selling. I did have someone come to my home once b/c it was a piece of furniture.

maestramommy
08-10-2007, 11:37 PM
We've always picked up stuff at someone's house. I guess if you're a parent buying something from another parent, it doesn't seem unsafe. We haven't gone into the house though. We always stay outside. The furthest we've gone was into the backyard.