PDA

View Full Version : Home improvement questions

littleme2
08-10-2007, 08:20 AM
Hi, we recently removed all the carpeting from the hallway and bedrooms. There were beautiful hardwood floors underneath.

Now, there is a 4 inch gap between the bottom of the door and the floor. I don't want to put a saddle in there because I can see myself hitting my toes on it all the time.

Do I need to replace all the doors or is there something I can put on the bottom of the door?

Also, there is one door that sticks at the top and doesn't close. Do I need to replace the door or will the new door have the same problem? Is it a problem with the frame or the door?

Thanks. We are definitely NOT do-it-yourselfers.

cvanbrunt
08-10-2007, 01:06 PM
How old is your house?

littleme2
08-10-2007, 02:54 PM
It's about 20 to 25 years old.

Thanks.

tiapam
08-10-2007, 06:34 PM
Try googling that door sticking problem. I think some adjustment of the hinges will fix that.

Maybe a saddle that is not four inches high? And maybe you could add some trim on the bottom of the door so they meet up. In our 80 year old house, though, we just look at these things as history. Oh the evils wall to wall carpeting has wrought!

-Pam

DD - Two years old!

cvanbrunt
08-11-2007, 05:52 AM
Man, that must have been some carpet! Sorry, I'm no help. We've done work on late 19th and early 20th century houses. I can't speak about new homes. In our experience, doors are really hard if they aren't square. You might look for a good carpenter. Good luck.
-Carrie