PDA

View Full Version : IBC...forgive me if this has already been posted...

megs4413
08-10-2007, 11:31 AM
http://www.komotv.com/ibc

i would really like to have a yearly mammogram (i know that sounds crazy), but there's no way my doc woudl order it or my insurance would agree to pay. what do you do to protect yourself?

lovin2shop
08-10-2007, 11:45 AM
Megs, if I remember correctly, you are young, so a mammogram might not do much for you anyway. An ultrasound is usually more effective for younger, denser breasts and is an easier screen as a bonus. I have a strong family history of breast cancer (mother and paternal grandmother), so I've tried to be very proactive in monitoring and testing. You would be surprised what insurance will cover. When I was in my 20's, I had a few lumps that were screened by ultrasound. Nothing unusual, just cysts actually, but I felt better getting them screened. Now that I'm in my 30's, I have had annual mammograms, and even had a breast MRI this year. Insurance has never balked at paying and even covered the MRI 100% since I had met my deductible. Granted, I have the family history and have on occassion pointed out suspicious areas to my OB, but insurance hasn't been a problem at all. If you ever have anything to even be minorly concerned about, go in right away!