PDA

View Full Version : Am I being too cautious?

hillview
08-10-2007, 07:37 PM
We are moving to a new house and DS (2 years old) and #2 (arriving soon) will be in 3rd floor bedrooms with the normal kind of windows. DS is a climber and I am thinking I should put window gates on the windows. Is this being absurd?
TIA!
/hillary

DrSally
08-10-2007, 08:47 PM
I put this kidco window wedges on. They velcro on, so you can only open the window so far (you set it). It may be easier solution than bars. I'd also teach them not to mess with the windows, only adults open/shut them. I don't think you're being absurd. Better to be over prepared than really, really sorry. Eric Clapton's son died from falling out of a window. MIL did scoff at my window wedges though.

momma_boo
08-10-2007, 09:02 PM
If the windows are newer, it may have built in safety features. Our windows have this plastic piece that can be popped out to prevent the window from opening no more than 6". I don't think you are absurd to look into ways of securing the windows. Better safe than sorry.

mskitty
08-10-2007, 09:10 PM
NO! One of my neighbor's 8 year old daughter went through a second floor screenwindow and ended up in the hospital for a few days. I'd rather be cautious than sorry.

MsKitty

Fairy
08-10-2007, 10:08 PM
Honestly, I'm the paranoid type. I don't think it's being too cautious. Ultimately, if you think it's borderline, then go it. If you're not sure and feel uneasy, then do it. Is it hurting DS to do it? Nope. Go for it.

Tondi G
08-10-2007, 11:34 PM
I think it's a good idea! I'd do it in a heartbeat if we had a 2nd story! You never know what kids will do when you aren't looking. Accidents can happen in the blink of an eye!

katydid1971
08-11-2007, 12:36 AM
No not at all. I bought window locks for all of our windows (first and second floor) They screw on so you can open then window only a few inches. They also protect your house from people breaking in through a window. I got them at a hardware store and all together they were less than $20. Crazy me is sure the rapist/murderer is wanting to break into my house. Its your job to protect your family and you would only regret not doing it.
Sarah

SASM
08-11-2007, 07:06 AM
We bought special window locks with tabs to push in so it'd be difficult for the kids to open them. Then, we bought little window stops (looks kind of like a triangle) that only allow the window to be opened so far (we have it installed at about 3.5 inches. These stops can open to have the window released all the way but it is quite high for the kids to reach and a little complicated, so I am not worried. We bought both of these things in Lowes near the child-proofing area but with the window hardware. The only problem with these is that if we choose to open the windows from the top, they could open the bottom. We normally just open it from the bottom. Oh...and DS has popped the screen out twice, but that was when the window hardware was new and he was adjustiong to having an open window. Good luck.

JBaxter
08-11-2007, 08:03 AM
I just pull ours down from the top if I want the windows open ( leaving the bottom pane closed). If they are newer they should do that. I have 3 boys 2 are/were mega climbers and I have always lived in 2 story houses but never locked or gated the windows.

gina
08-12-2007, 01:33 PM
Considering the risk could result in serious injury or death, then NO you are not being TOO cautious. The screens on my house are very flimsy. They would not withstand a toddler pushing on them.

Gina
DD15 yr
DD 18 mo

robinsonbn
08-12-2007, 03:18 PM
I don't think so. I want to put up window gates. Though since my son is also a climber I am worried he will use it to just climb higher and then over. :)