PDA

View Full Version : Funky Weird Stuff: Future Tech

Fairy
08-10-2007, 11:15 PM
Which of these things do you think is most likely to see reality sometime in the future? Maybe tomorrow, maybe 2162. Maybe never. Whaddya think?

set81616
08-11-2007, 07:31 AM
Beaming and stasis have already happened. Granted the beaming was just an electron and the frozen animation was a frog (not sure if it has been replicated and it wasn't taken all the way down to kelvin so some people may not count it.) so I definetly think those will be a reality. I really don't know if you could beam life but just being able to beam food and supplies to areas that need it would be great.

As for warp drive and replicators, why not? We've already found antimatter. Beam me up, Scotty.
Shannon

elliput
08-11-2007, 07:37 AM
Hey! Where is the all of the above option! ;-)

Fairy
08-11-2007, 07:56 AM
I did read about the electron! It's truly exciting! I agree, the practical application would be food and supplies, etc., rather than living things.

I also read a few years ago about a replicator -- or something close to it. It was like a fax machine for solid objects. It wasn't molecule for molecule, as it was just the shape of the object in a plastic/wax manifestation, but it was pretty fascinating.

I want to believen in warp drive, and I think it's definitely possible once we figure out how to harness the matter/anti-matter reaction. I just don't know how you'd get an inertial dampener kind of deal to prevent you from slamming agianst the bulkhead with all tht force. But I believe there's gotta be a way.

punkrockmama
08-11-2007, 11:48 AM
>Hey! Where is the all of the above option! ;-)

Haha. My thoughts exactly.

Hi-ho H! I owe you an email. You'll be getting mail soon.

I remember hearing once that the TV show Lost In Space was set in the year 1997.

dr mom
08-12-2007, 07:06 PM
Quantum mechanics is changing some of the "Laws" of physics that previously everyone assumed to be true. We're a long way off from practical applications, but it's pretty amazing that we can teleport matter, even if it's just an electron.

I wish someone could teleport me some Ben and Jerrys, now there's a Killer App.