PDA

View Full Version : Platform Bed Questions

wilelm
08-12-2007, 07:03 PM
I'm getting new bedroom furniture, and have decided on a platform bed. Here are my questions:

Do you use a comforter? Whenever I see pictures of them online and in stores, they always have a bedspread instead of comforter--I don't like bedspreads.

Is that because a comforter would hang too long? If so, can you use a queen comforter on a king-size platform bed?

TIA,

Sheila

ETA: The bedspreads are tucked in--I don't want to have to tuck anything in.

Lmoor
08-13-2007, 12:14 PM
It would probably depend on the type of platform bed. I've used both a duvet and a quilt. Both work fine. We have a footboard too. We usually fold the duvet down in thirds at the foot of the bed.

wilelm
08-13-2007, 12:48 PM
Thanks!

The bed we're looking at doesn't have a footbard. I just remembered that we have a queen-size bed in the guest room, so I'll try the comforter from that bed on our king platform bed when it arrives and make a decision then.

Sheila

hardysmom
08-18-2007, 10:13 PM
We use a duvet on our king size, no footboard.

I think a lot depends on your mattress... the newer pillow-top ones are so high.

We were a little shocked that with the 14.5" pillow-top mattress, the platform bed is actually taller than our old bed with box springs.

Really, the trick is just to have a comforter (and cover) that hasn't been "super-sized" for todays newer, taller beds. We use an LL Bean down comforter and it is perfect.

Stephanie

mommy_someday
08-19-2007, 09:22 PM
Not sure if this applies, but we just got DS a big boy bed that has the drawers underneath (kind of a platform - no box springs). It doesn't have a footboard. I have a quilt on it and tuck the sheets in on all three sides but tuck the quilt in only at the foot of the bed. It covers the top of the drawers, but not too badly IMO. I think it would depend upon the thickness of your mattress - i.e. if you have a queen-sized pillowtop mattress (say 18" thickness) and a standard queen duvet/comforter, you wouldn't have to tuck it in and it still wouldn't touch the platform. If you go that route, just as an fyi, the extra-deep sheets are *so* much more expensive than standard thickness sheets. We have holes in our current sheets and I'm too cheap to buy new ones, lol! HTH!

mommy_someday
08-19-2007, 09:22 PM
Not sure if this applies, but we just got DS a big boy bed that has the drawers underneath (kind of a platform - no box springs). It doesn't have a footboard. I have a quilt on it and tuck the sheets in on all three sides but tuck the quilt in only at the foot of the bed. It covers the top of the drawers, but not too badly IMO. I think it would depend upon the thickness of your mattress - i.e. if you have a queen-sized pillowtop mattress (say 18" thickness) and a standard queen duvet/comforter, you wouldn't have to tuck it in and it still wouldn't touch the platform. If you go that route, just as an fyi, the extra-deep sheets are *so* much more expensive than standard thickness sheets. We have holes in our current sheets and I'm too cheap to buy new ones, lol! HTH!