PDA

View Full Version : Twofold question: free vision screening for toddlers & toddlers in glasses

mamica
08-12-2007, 10:36 PM
I'm concerned that dd (22 mos) is showing *some* signs that could indicate vision problems. She has been rubbing her eyes a lot lately, for no apparent reason, and/or squinting more, again for no reason.

She will say "eye" and point to her eye before/after/during these incidents. There is definitely nothing in her eye(s), and we even had an ophthamologist friend look into her eyes briefly with his light, and he found nothing. I'll be asking him my questions this week, but I'm wondering if any of you have btdt?

So, my questions are 1) do any of you have dc who have been diagnosed early -before age 3- with vision impairment of some kind...so that they need to wear glasses? Can you tell me about your experience?

2) In my research during pregnancy, I remember reading about a federal program (or was it state by state) in which eye doctors could choose to participate to provide free vision screenings (beyond what the ped does at well-baby visits) to kids up to, I can't remember, age 1 or 2. I can't find this info anymore. Does it sound familiar to anyone out there?

Thanks so much for your help!

tiapam
08-13-2007, 12:00 AM
I think you are looking for:

http://www.infantsee.org/

-Pam

DD - Two years old!

niccig
08-13-2007, 11:24 AM
The infantsee program is only up to 12 months old for free exams. But, I would search their database to find a practitioner that lives near you. The doctor we saw worked in a general practice, but she specifically worked with children. I'll take DS back to her for future exams.

Gena
08-13-2007, 12:12 PM
My son was 2.5 when he was diagnosed with vision problems and got his first pair of glasses. We had a referral to a pediatric ophthalmologist from our regular doctor (this was important for our insurance) because DS was/is extremely photosensitive.

The first exam was very difficult and was ended early due to DS’s lack of cooperation. The doctor gave us a prescription for the dilating eye drops and scheduled another appointment. For the second appointment we administered the eye drops at home the night before and the morning of the exam. It was a difficult task with one of us holding DS down while the other put the drops in. We brought DS’s Teddy Bear to the exam. I sat in the exam chair and DS sat on my lap. Bear sat on DS’s lap and we had Bear’s eyes checked first. (Bear’s vision is good). Then DS has his eye’s examined while sitting on my lap.

For the exam, the doc uses a small hand held instrument that emits vertical line of light. By holding different lenses in front of DS’s eye and shining the light through it, the doc can see where the light falls on the back of the eye and determine if there is a vision problem. It is painless, but requires that the child sit still and look straight ahead. Our doc sings to keep DS calm and still. DS is very farsighted and at risk of developing lazy eye.

We ordered DS’s first pair of glasses from a shop that specializes in children’s glasses. We have a one year warranty on the frames and have had to replace them twice due to breakage. It took DS 4 days to get used to wearing his glasses. At first he would pull them off as soon as I put them on. So the first day I told him he had to wear the glasses when we read a book or watched a video. That was I could sit him in my lap and held his hands so that we couldn’t take off the glasses. As he got used to wearing them I gradually added more activities. After four days he was wearing them voluntarily. Now he brings me his glasses in the morning and after nap and likes to wear them.

Due to his photosensitivity, we get him the transitions lenses that get dark in the sun. That seems to help him a lot.

Sorry for the length, but I hope this helps.

mamica
08-13-2007, 02:28 PM
Thanks so much to all of you! Infantsee is what I was thinking, so I'm clearly past the timing on that. Our friend have us a ped oph. referral as well, but I want to talk to our pediatrician as well.

I appreciate the detailed description of your son's experience!