PDA

View Full Version : Updated: Pesticide in Water: What should we do?

Sillygirl
08-13-2007, 06:46 AM
Actually, NYC is famous for its wonderful tap water. It tastes terrific and it's fresh and clean. The aquifers are so enormous that it would be a difficult terrorist target compared to other cities. Since most bottled waters come from municipal tap systems, I don't think you're gaining much. Not to mention the energy and plastic used to bottle and transport the water, and the resultant trash.

katerinasmom
08-13-2007, 07:13 AM
We live in NYC. I don't know about the reverse osmosis system, we just use a Brita filter. It tastes the same as Poland Springs bottled water in my opinion. If it means anything to you, when DD was born we asked the pediatrician about whether we should give her bottled water and she said no - just filtered water.

Marisa6826
08-13-2007, 07:14 AM
NYC water absolutely rocks. It's actually won taste tests. Seriously.

Save your money for good walking shoes. :)

-m

DrSally
08-13-2007, 01:50 PM
I've heard too that NYC is known for it's good tap water. We just have an undersink filter --GE, but not reverse osmosis. It's supposed to remove most major contaminants. I wanted it for being pregnant and DS's drinks. Most city water is safe to drink on average, but sometimes may have spikes of contaminants and that's why I wanted a filter. In addition, our city water report listed lead in excess of recommended limits. I think if you install a filter, it has to stay with the apt. I don't know, maybe you can take it out without damaging anything. I wouldn't do bottled b/c of the inconvenience and waste (much of it is tap water anyway). I just fill a pitcher of our filtered water and keep it in the fridge. Tastes great.

jgriffin
08-14-2007, 12:55 AM
I know this is just a repeat of the PPs, but NYC has wonderful tap water, and I wouldn't think you'd need any sort of filter, unless the apartment you're in has cruddy pipes.

I had a reverse osmosis filter in a house in Iowa, and it had a tap separate from the regular kitchen tap. I don't know if you can have regular water flowing through the separate tap after you take out the filter, though.

suz
08-14-2007, 02:29 AM
Your post reminded me of a funny clip I saw recently. There is a misconception that bottled water is cleaner than tap water.

If you have time and enjoy a good laugh, watch this Penn and Teller clip. The water steward cracks me up.

http://www.geekarmy.com/Science/Truth-About-Bottled-Water.html

writermama
08-14-2007, 09:11 AM
I'm currently shopping for water filters, so this is on my mind a lot.

Most undersink filters will need for you to drill a hole in the sink to install them. Your landlord may not allow it or you would probably have to leave it afterward because of the hole. Installation isn't terribly difficult, except for the part about drilling the hole.

Reverse osmosis systems are great at removing contaminants, but if you have good tap water, you may not need this level of filtration anyway. Reverse osmosis wastes 4 gallons for every gallon of water filtered -- it's the sort of thing you really only want to do if you know you have to do (arsenic contamination, for example).

If someone in your household has health problems, such as immune deficiency and requires the safest possible water, your best best would be a distiller. These appliances use electrical power to steam-distill water. No contaminants, no organisms, nothing but water. The ones I've seen could sit on a kitchen counter like any other appliance, so no installation required. They do require power and time to work.

If your tap water is good, a basic carbon filtration system may be all you need to remove chlorine taste and occasional spikes in contaminant levels. Carbon filtration systems come in 4 basic types:

Pitcher: easy and cheap, no installation required.

Faucet-mounted: Pur and others, simple to install on most faucets, but leak or break easily

Counter-top: less common, don't need to drill the sink, takes up counter space, but another option

Undersink: works great, requires drilling sink

This link compares brands of filters in what they filter and full cost of use (unit plus replacement filters) for a year. Full disclosure warning: the site is operated by the people who make the "winner" - the aquasana. I wouldn't buy an aquasana, but the site is interesting.
http://www.waterfiltercomparisons.net/WaterFilter_Comparison.cfm

Consumer reports has a good, free article here:
http://tinyurl.com/2uaaq8

Finally, I've bought filters from this site. Good selection, good information if you still want to go the undersink route:
filtersfast.com

writermama
08-14-2007, 09:20 AM
Oops, forgot about that part of the question.

I only use bottled water when I'm on the road. I look for bottles that say "reverse osmosis filtration." Yes, I know it was probably tap water, but I'm paying for the filtration, not for the idea that it came from a mountain spring.

I avoid "spring," "artesian," "natural" or anything else like that. It could be regular tap water. or even a "pure mountain spring" could have nasty contaminants.

DrSally
08-14-2007, 11:10 AM
We use the under-sink carbon filter b/c our water is basically good, and we're just worried about spikes and taste. About the drilling...depending on how old your house/apt. is, many newer places have a hole already for an undersink soap pump. We just used this hole. I have also heard that the on faucet carbon filters break easily and have to be replaced more often.

kusumat
08-14-2007, 06:39 PM
Hi Karen,

Have you come across the brand "Shaklee Best Water MTS2000" when you researched? Per consumer reports, it was the only one tested with high rating and did not require any adjustment to the sink and plumbing. Well, it is quite pricey, $ 255 original and $105 per year for filter. I googled everywhere to see whether I could find any other reviews but no luck.

Please let me know your thought. I don't think we will go with under the sink or reverse osmosis anymore because it wasn't allowed:(

Thanks so much.
Kathy

kusumat
08-15-2007, 02:28 AM
Updated:
My SIL found out that there was pesticide in her water(per home-kit test). Any advice for her? She lives in Irvine, California.

We are moving to NYC and will live in an apt for the next 3 years. I would like to get the water filter - reverse osmosis system installed. Has anyone tried to install it by yourself? Is it easy and there any leak afterward? Is it possible to uninstall it afterward? The reverse osmosis filter costs at least $200. So, I don't think I want to leave it when we move. Will the installation change the sink?

I am also thinking about buying bottled water instead; however, I heard that it wasn't that much better than the tap water. Which brands are good?

Thank you.