PDA

View Full Version : I want to learn how to knit.

punkrockmama
08-13-2007, 08:04 AM
Just because I do. How do I get started? Where, what, and all that jazz?

Thank you, knitters. :)

miki
08-13-2007, 08:14 AM
If you are good with following pictures, get yourself a Kntting for Dummies Book. If you need to see some live action, you can try looking for a knitting instructional video at your local library or a class through a yarn shop. Once you learn the basics, if you go to your local small yarn shop to buy supplies (patterns, yarn, needles), they are usually more than happy to give you a little free help if you get stuck doing your project. They can also advise you on what projects to choose that would be good for your skill level so you won't waste your time trying to make something that you just can't finish. Have fun!

kelly ann
08-13-2007, 08:23 AM
I just learned about a week ago and I am finishing up my second project already!

I checked out some books from the library over the last month - I liked Stitch and Bitch the best. Reading this got me familiar with what knitting was all about, but I just didn't have the time to start. Then I signed up for a Michaels class (I was the only one in the class). So, after a 2 hour private lesson I was all set with the basics.

I went back to the Stitch and Bitch book after the lesson and it encouraged me to just keep practicing - I even did a button hole on my first project!

KBecks
08-13-2007, 08:51 AM
There is a BBB knitters group, I think. See if you can hook up with them. Have fun!

caleymama
08-13-2007, 09:10 AM
I'm in the beginning stages of learning myself.
Check out www.knittinghelp.com - it's awesome!

The PPs gave you great ideas. I'd like to sign up for a class at AC Moore. I also have Knitting for Dummies, but haven't delved into it yet.

JBaxter
08-13-2007, 09:13 AM
I taught my self the basic stuff from a CD I bought at AC Moore. Get bigger needles they are easier to start with and try cotton yarn. They make great dish cloths :)
our local Michaels also has classes if you have time to go.
try this site
http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/basic_techniques/

shilo
08-13-2007, 11:28 AM
have you thought about crochet? i think it's easier to learn and requires less concentration for mindless activity for idle hands while i'm trying to do something else at the same time. you can't make quite as many really intricate things (advanced projects) in my opinion as you can with knitting. but for the basic beginner scarves, hats and dish squares, i think it's a winner. my grandmother taught me both 15+ years ago. when i wanted to take one back up 4 or 5 years ago, crochet took about 2 mintues to re-teach myself and within a few projects, i could do any pattern i found online (there is a TON of free stuff out there, don't pay for a book before you google). knitting took taking a class again, and even then all i can do is a basic knit/pearl. altho i don't blame you for wanting to learn knitting - some of the most beautiful knitware is just breathtaking - but i'm not good enough to make any of that stuff.

just my 2 pennies,
lori
Sam 5/19/05 How lucky I am that you chose me.

MommyAllison
08-13-2007, 01:27 PM
Yes, I LOVE that website. It has helped me over every bump thus far. I learned a few months ago from a friend - if you can learn from another person IRL, I think it is easiest. They can help you figure out what you're doing wrong before you create bad habits. GL! It's super fun!

Allison
Mama to DD 11/05

mmaimp
08-13-2007, 01:37 PM
I knit and crochet. I like knitting better but crochet is useful for quick blankets and finishing projects.

I love knittinghelp.com. My local library's have free knit and crochet nights and classes. I also took a finish class at my local yarn store (LYS).

Our invision group is not very active at all right now. Saccade and I have been talking about starting a BBB group on Ravelry. http://www.ravelry.com/ If you're already there my username is the same. They are in beta right now but you can get on the waiting list. It's an awesome site!

NeyhaR
08-13-2007, 01:53 PM
One more vote for Stitch N Bitch. I agree with PPs that IRL basic training is best (yarn shops are good for that if you don't have a michaels around). Otherwise, Stitch N Bitch instructions are pretty comprehensive and understandable... You might even try with the book and then play innocent, confused new knitter at a local shop. Then, someone might help you here and there for free! I know I would. I also think the projects in the book are pretty simple and funky...

good luck!

kelly ann
08-13-2007, 03:18 PM
Well, I still have 14,000 people in front of me for ravelry :( However, there are 2,100 behind me. Let me know if you get a group going on ravelry :)

scoop22
08-13-2007, 04:13 PM
i learned last winter from my MIL. it was tough but i sat down beside her. i don't know if you know anyone who knits. the sites mentioned above are great. i used them alot when starting. also check out your local craft stores. they might hold functions or be able to tell you where to go. good luck. it's alot of fun. i have put it down for awhile but your post might want me to get started again.
http://b3.lilypie.com/Sd3bm4.png

mmaimp
08-14-2007, 06:48 AM
I will post again when they are out of beta for all or us to go join. Then I'll start the BBB group. You need 3 or more members to start a group. There are three of us there that I know of but more would be better. I got on the list in May and did not get in till late June.

If you want to use the site to organize your stash and completed projects plus WIP (works in progress). Start to up load your pics to Flickr. It's hard to pull yourself away from Ravelry to actually go work on your projects!

jgriffin
08-14-2007, 09:13 AM
Some people find it easier to learn from someone IRL, others are fine with diagrams or photos in a book or website. So if you find you're having trouble with the latter, don't assume it's because you can't do it, it just may be a learning style thing. Many local yarn shops have intro classes.

I second (third?) http://www.knittinghelp.com/ as a great website for learning techniques. My friend really liked "Stitch and Bitch" and has already knit several of the patterns in it.

I have a Ravelry account (I am Gwenna); if we set up a group now, will it still be around after beta? I love the functionality of Ravelry, unfortunately I don't even knit right now, so I don't have time to enter in all stuff.

My favorite knitting board is Knitty (http://www.knittyboard.com). Lots of friendly people, some super experienced, some much less so, but all very helpful.

eta: There is also a show on HGTV and DIY called "Knitty Gritty" that might be helpful. You won't learn to knit from just watching the show, but you do get to see a lot of different knitting styles and techniques. I find the host kind of irritating and some of the projects hideous, but it is worth watching sometimes.

hellokitty
08-14-2007, 10:35 AM
I have tried to learn to knit using books and I found it extremely difficult. I really should take a class, but haven't had a chance to sign up for one in which my DH will be home to babysit the kids. One thing I did try was to check out some vhs and dvds at the library about knitting. Some were awful, but some were pretty good. It's a good way to get a look, before buying a dvd if that is something you are thinking about. I think for me, the best way to learn is to learn it from someone else one to one.

egoldber
08-14-2007, 11:43 AM
I think it just depends. I taught myself to knit and crochet at the same time many years ago. I was never really able to get the hang of crochet, but I found knitting to be easy to learn. I think it just depends on what clicks with you. :)

mmaimp
08-14-2007, 03:14 PM
All the groups should remain after Ravelry gets out of beta. Some of the groups are too fun. There is knit with The Office and Go Fast, Knit Left for Nascar fans. Plus groups for citys and states and other area designations.

jgriffin
08-14-2007, 05:01 PM
I need a Knitting While Nursing group! :) Since L was born I've knit...one third of a washcloth. LOL
(It doesn't help that I've got a toddler and 2 cats who are *very* interested in yarn and needles, so I can't leave stuff out to pick up in a spare moment.)

punkrockmama
08-14-2007, 09:10 PM
See, this is why I *heart* you guys. Thanks for the replies. Awesome.

Okay, I for sure won't be able to get it just from pictures alone. I need hands on. So I'll go to the craft store and sign up for whatever they've got.

Thanks for the recs. I've never heard of ravelry. Whenever the BBB group gets it going, I'm in. I'll check out Stitch and Bitch. And head on over to knittinghelp.

I've thought about it for awhile. Figured why not now. I'm sure I won't be making sweaters for Christmas, but I think it would fun. Something new to do with my brain. :) I think this is something I could easily get addicted to.

hobokenmom
08-15-2007, 06:14 AM
Sounds like a good plan. Just be warned that knitting can be addictive, and sometimes when my three kids are really annoying me, I yearn to just lock myself in the bathroom and knit for an hour or two.

I find it very relaxing to do at night while I'm watching all my shows on TV.

I agree with all the suggestions that PPs have posted.

One caveat -- knitting can get very expensive if you like nice yarns and have access to a good yarn shop. Unfortunately for me (and my wallet), I have a good yarn shop a few blocks away, and now I can't bring myself to buy any yarn from AC Moore or Michael's. I'm too hooked on Blue Sky Organic Cotton.

Then again, scrapbooking is expensive too, right? That's what I keep telling myself (and my husband), since I don't scrapbook.

Good luck!!!