PDA

View Full Version : Preschool WWYD?

kristenk
08-13-2007, 06:11 PM
I called DD's preschool today to find out about home visits, paperwork, etc. I found out that DD is currently placed in the older 3yo class. Her bday is in February, so she'll be a little over 3.5 when school starts. Her teacher is new to the school this year. She was director of a preschool somewhere, but moved to this area recently.

DD was in a class with 6 other kids last year. Three of the boys are in the MWF class this year, and 1 boy is in a different school. I asked about the boy and girl who would are attending TTh and found out that they're both in the younger class. The boy and girl in the younger class were DD's best friends from school last year. We didn't see them much outside of school, but DD always talked about playing with them at school.

The director said that there's a slot open in the younger class and DD could take it if I want her to. DD would be the oldest in the class by about a month. I don't know much about the teacher for the younger class, but I know that she's been at the school for awhile and I *think* that her class and DD's class last year might have been on the playground at the same time.

What would you do in this situation? Keep DC in the older classroom with the unknown (possibly great, possibly okay) teacher or switch to the younger classroom where she knows and likes 2 of the kiddos?

DD is very shy when I'm around. I know that she's a little more outgoing when I'm not around, but she's still fairly quiet.

ellies mom
08-13-2007, 06:37 PM
Well, that would depend on what I was hoping she would get out of preschool. If the goal was mostly social and she is shy, then I'd consider keeping her with the kids she already knows and is comfortable with. If the goal is more academic, then I'd place her with the older kids because the activities maybe more in line with what she is ready for.

What does her last teacher think?

kristenk
08-13-2007, 10:19 PM
You did a great job of honing in on the issue.

The goal for 3yo preschool, in my mind, is definitely more social than academic, and DD is not as comfortable (advanced?) socially as the kids in her playgroup. I think she'd feel more comfortable with the 2 kids she already knows and likes.

I'm going to call the director tomorrow and see about having her switched.

egoldber
08-14-2007, 09:01 AM
Something else to think about. Will she be in the school again next year? Will you want her in the young 4s class or will you prefer her to be in a class with kids going on to K the next year? I would think it would be easier for her to transition this year as opposed to next year.

JBaxter
08-14-2007, 09:05 AM
I agree with Beth

I also find chidren learn from older children ( more social things)so I think I would tend to keep her with her age group

kristenk
08-14-2007, 01:49 PM
Thanks for your input. I hadn't thought of that and it's definitely something to consider. I think we'll be okay, though.

*This year* DD will either be the oldest child in the younger class or the youngest child in the older class. All of the kids will be mixed up for the 4yo classes, b/c there are so many options. The 4yo classes offered are M/W/F, T-F or M-F. There's one class for each set of days, so older 4s and younger 4s will be in the same class, just depending which days they're enrolled.