PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 CDs (Albums) to expose kids to "real" music

mattytommymom
08-13-2007, 07:48 PM
As much as I love kids' music, I want my kids to listen to "grown up" music too... DS loved listening to Stevie Wonder at my friends house the other day and made me think I need to add some more music to my collection...
I'm open (and want music from) ALL genres - folk, rock, pop, soul, jazz, etc.
Please write with your ideas!
Thanks!!

cvanbrunt
08-13-2007, 08:35 PM
My 2 yo daughter likes Philadelphia Chickens for kiddie music but everything else she hears is my stuff.
As an infant, her lullaby CD was Pink Floyd "Wish You Were Here".
I tend to own everything by the artists I like so its hard to suggest a single CD. Anyway, we listen to a lot of:

REM
The Police
Jimi Hendrix
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Johnny Lang
Al Greene
Los Lonely Boys
Lyle Lovett
Matthew Sweet

If you really want to introduce soul, get yourself one of the great Stax Records compilations that are out there. You're never too young for Otis Redding or Sam & Dave!

More than five, I know. I could go on.....
I think anything you play will be enjoyed!

-Carrie

Corie
08-13-2007, 09:39 PM
This might interest you. I tear it out every month from my magazine.

In "Cookie" magazine every month on their music page, they list out 10 (I think it's 10)
*grown-up* songs that would appeal to kids. Usually, there is some
type of theme. Like I think last month was a Summer theme.

I have no idea how to burn a CD so I don't know why I save these lists every
month. I guess I'm hoping that maybe I can con my brother into burning
some CDs for me. :)

denna
08-14-2007, 02:04 AM
I think The Best of Counting Crows is a great album "Accidentally in Love" is a great song that most kids really love. Sarah Mcclaughlin (sp?) has a lot of soothing songs and even some great techno upbeat songs that DS really loves. Also Enya has some beautiful music.

HTH

elaineandmichaelsmommy
08-14-2007, 02:27 AM
Ds enjoys Elvis and Frank Sinatra, the soundtrack to cars is a big hit for us also. DD is a confirmed Laurie Berkner fan but I beginning to open up to Elvis, They might be Giants, and lots of other ska music that dh plays for her when I'm not around.

writermama
08-14-2007, 05:52 AM
The Beach Boys Greatest Hits is a big favorite with our kids.

madelinesmom
08-14-2007, 07:53 AM
I am a talk radio fan, but when my DD really puts up a fuss we listen to James Taylor. DH has also burned some CD's of himself playing and singing his guitar, she really enjoys that also, b/c she gets to pick the songs.

Jane
Madeline 1/20/03
Emily 11/29/05
http://b4.lilypie.com/l3-em6/.png
http://b1.lilypie.com/-FG1m6/.png

punkrockmama
08-14-2007, 08:32 AM
Oooh fun. :)

Let's see here.....

The Barenaked Ladies
ABBA
They Might Be Giants
Outkast
The Knack-My Sharona is one of the most fun songs ever.
Cyndi Lauper
The Beach Boys
Reel Big Fish--Sell Out is a funny song.
The Mighty Mighty Bosstones
No Doubt/Gwen Stefani
The White Stripes--Something like Fell in Love with a Girl would get kids bouncing around (it works on mine,lol).
The Beatles
Lisa Loeb
Weezer
The Dixie Chicks
Talking Heads
Queen
The Proclaimers--If only for I'm Gonna Be (500 miles). That song is super cute and always gets stuck in your head.
The Cure

That's waaay more than five, so I'l stop now.

And I keep adding more....

coachkath
08-14-2007, 10:34 AM
MATTHEW SWEET!! I love him and haven't thought of him in a long time. Thanks! I had his stuff on cassette - don't know what happened to it.

My DD loves reggae. I'm not a huge reggae fan, but anytime Bob Marley comes on the radio she's groovin'...She also loves the Classic Rock station.

Katrina and the Waves...Walkin on Sunshine
The Beatles
My husband plays Metallica in the car (apparently she likes it, it gives me a headache)
no time to think of more stuff

DrSally
08-14-2007, 12:00 PM
I just started playing Enya for DS and he likes it, more energetic than the Baby Einstein CD's. She usually had a good beat. Also, I've played Sarah McLaughin for DS (Wintersong) and he always moves to her music.

shilo
08-14-2007, 12:20 PM
hmm, i'd probably add albums like paul simon's graceland or a simon and garfunkles greatest hits. what about a classical album? the new yo yo ma cello cd is nice, or a piano concerto cd (maybe something with tchaikovsky 5 and rachmaninoff 2)? or for more upbeat intro to classical what about a cd with patriotic marches (think stars and stripes forever). sam really likes it when i play the o brother soundtrack (from the george clooney movie).

hth, lori
Sam 5/19/05 How lucky I am that you chose me.

cvanbrunt
08-14-2007, 12:29 PM
>MATTHEW SWEET!! I love him and haven't thought of him in a
>long time. Thanks! I had his stuff on cassette - don't know
>what happened to it.

Girlfriend is still the best album. He put two out together a couple of years ago but nothing beats "Evangeline" or "Girlfriend" in my book!

BillK
08-14-2007, 01:49 PM
I keep suggesting to my wife that we use:

Iron Maiden: Killers
Iron Maiden: Number of the Beast
Iron Maiden: Piece of Mind
Iron Maiden: Powerslave
Iron Maiden: Somewhere in Time

For some reason though - she keeps rejecting my plan... ;)

Jen841
08-14-2007, 02:16 PM
Wow, what great lists. I need to add to my iPod!

Fav's here are:
Beatles - One (Jude loves "his" song)- we had a Baby Beatles CD too when he was a baby
Peter, Paul and Mary
Dan Zanes
Laurie Berkner
They Might be Giants - we have the "kid" and "adult" cd's
Justin Roberts
Enya they get bored with, but I can sneak it in
ABBA/Mama Mia soundtrack

Other songs they ask for:
Who let the dogs out
Unicorn Song
I like to move it move it

ADDITION: I completely forgot Jack Johnson, Curious George soundtrack. The cover makes it look like kid music, but it is adult music. Great marketing! My JUDES (Hey Jude) had a room full of that curious monkey... Beatles and Jack Johnson are on our most played list.

trentsmom
08-14-2007, 03:03 PM
I grew up listening to my parents' music, and I listened to it a lot since there was only one tv channel! My favorite was "American Graffiti." I should really get that on CD.

maestramommy
08-14-2007, 05:06 PM
At the moment I'm a slave to Dora's tastes, at least in the car. It's mostly Music Together, and the like. But we do have a couple of other CDs in the changer, which I swap out every so often:

Riverdance
Joshua Bell (I have his Kreisler recording, and another solo/orchestra)
Idan Raichel
Ricky Martin's Vuelve
Dave Matthews
Norah Jones
Steven Curtis Chapman

During the Christmas season, I'll stick in all of my Christmas stuff. It's the only time Dh allows it :-)

kimbe
08-14-2007, 05:17 PM
I had to laugh when I read your post! I am surprised that my DH hasn't made a Metallica CD for DD yet! (I made him take all his cds out of his car because I told him that he drives to fast when he listens to them! ;) )

colleenfs
08-14-2007, 06:58 PM
My girls love all kinds of music. I was a music minor; I played the oboe and I sing, so I like to expose them to everything.

We listen to lots of show tunes -
Annie
Peter Pan
Mary Poppins
Wizard of Oz

They also love classical.
Peter and the Wolf - Julia can name all of the instruments and the animal that they represent
The Nutcracker
anything that they have heard from Little Einsteins
In fact, I was listening to the Water Music, and Julia commented that it sounded like LE "Oh, yes, oh yes, it's springtime!" which is of course, Vivaldi's spring. Amazing for her to get the baroque connection!

We also love anything that you can move to
The Monkees
Great Big Sea
Mommy's fave, the Indigo Girls

~Colleen
Julia, 1-10-02
Emma, 7-27-05

“I do believe in fairies. I do, I do.�

punkrockmama
08-14-2007, 09:29 PM
You really shouldn't have posted this with me around. I went looking and here's some more stuff I have burned for when I'm with the small set:

The Doors--Hello I Love You
The Go-Go's
Depeche Mode- Just Can't Get Enough. Well that's true, but I mean the song. ;)
Culture Club
Soft Cell-Tainted Love
The Ramones
Iggy Pop's Lust for Life
Green Day--She is such a great little song
Blur-Song 2 is pretty famous for being awesome
Bedouin Soundclash--When The Night Feels My Song
Beastie Boys
Quiet Riot--Come On Feel The Noise
Neil Diamond-Sweet Caroline
Red Hot Chili Peppers--I know Higher Ground is a Stevie Wonder song but I love this one by those guys, Aeroplane, One Big Mob, Storm in a Teacup
Elvis Costello--Veronica, Alison, Radio, Radio
Bow Wow Wow--I Want Candy
Bob Marley--I am no huuge fan of reggae myself, but No Woman, No Cry always does something to my little heart.

I'll shut up now,lol.

punkrockmama
08-14-2007, 09:37 PM
LOL.

Hey Bill, what about Run to the Hiiillls....That's Maiden, right?

MeAndMyStar
08-14-2007, 11:34 PM
Nice! I would definitely listen to that CD, lol! Here's my list:

Billy Joel - Glass Houses (one of MY favorites from childhood)
They Might Be Giants - Factory Showroom (or any TMBG, really)
Live - Mental Jewelry
Foo Fighters - The Colour and the Shape
John Mayer - Room For Squares

also: Tori Amos, James Taylor, The Hollies, Simon and Garfunkel, Jethro Tull, U2, ska, dance music, etc...

I'm so glad my DD loves music as I can't live without it. And although we do listen to the occasional Laurie Berkner and such, she digs my & DHs music! I grew up listening to my parents stuff and still love most of it to this day.

Fairy
08-15-2007, 08:05 AM
Hard rocker checkin' in here, too. One day, DS will be shocked to find Mommy's harder stuff and hair bands, such as Metallica, Def Leppard (mmmmm), Motley Crue, GNR. Ah, the 80's.

cvanbrunt
08-15-2007, 08:17 AM
>Hard rocker checkin' in here, too. One day, DS will be
>shocked to find Mommy's harder stuff and hair bands, such as
>Metallica, Def Leppard (mmmmm), Motley Crue, GNR. Ah, the
>80's.

Want to feel old? The cover on my last issue of Rolling Stone is celebrating the 20th anniversary of Appetite for Destruction. Sigh.

mamicka
08-15-2007, 08:31 AM
I assumed from your login that you & I would have totally different tastes in music... but you've got great taste, girlfriend. Thanks for posting your lists, keep them coming - I'm terrible about remembering who sings what & what the songs are even called.

Allison
& my three sons

Fairy
08-15-2007, 03:25 PM
Oy vey! Is that possible?! Yikes!

jenjenfirenjen
08-15-2007, 04:13 PM
OMG, us too. We have to listen to it over and over everytime we're in the car. Even the baby sings Ba-ba-ba,ba-barbara ann.

kcimato
08-15-2007, 04:15 PM
How about John Denver?

kimbe
08-15-2007, 07:08 PM
What kiddo wouldn't like Def Leppard??? Wait till DD sees pictures of me with MY big hair! I am sure that she will be scarred for life!

DrSally
08-15-2007, 07:16 PM
"Katrina and the Waves...Walkin on Sunshine"

What a great song for kids! I'm going to check out buying a copy of the song online for DS!

mattytommymom
08-15-2007, 07:16 PM
wow - thanks so much for everyone's responses! i wasn't able to get online yesterday so I didn't see all of the great replies until tonight! you all gave me some great ideas and now it's time to do some shopping at itunes/amazon!

nicoleandjackson
08-15-2007, 08:31 PM
Sheila, you *so* totally ROCK! My DS loves the Beasties too! You should see him head-banging in his carseat to "Sabotage"!

Ditto to TMBG (although I think "Flood" is the best album, next to "No, No, No!")
Ditto to James Taylor
The Best of the Gypsy Kings
Any of the Dinner at Eight compilations from Pottery Barn
Today we were listening to John Mayer's "Continuum" as we were painting--absolutely phenomenal album!
The Best of Ray Charles
The soundtrack to The Muppet Show
R.E.M. (esp. Automatic for the People and The Best Of)
Michael Penn
BoDeans
Erasure

I am so proud to be in such esteemed company with AWESOME taste!!!

Nicole, Mommy to Jackson 4/30/02

Timmersmom
08-15-2007, 09:58 PM
Forrest Gump soundtrack, and Freedom Rock (yes, of the corny commercial fame) are faves around here.

punkrockmama
08-16-2007, 01:20 AM
>Sheila, you *so* totally ROCK! My DS loves the Beasties too!
> You should see him head-banging in his carseat to
>"Sabotage"!

Nicole! Thanks sister. :) Tell me about it, Sabotage is so awesome (ever seen the video? Classic). I don't know one person that doesn't love Brass Monkey either. My big kid will ask for the "Funky Monkey song mommie". Hahaha.

"I assumed from your login that you & I would have totally different tastes in music... but you've got great taste, girlfriend. Thanks for posting your lists, keep them coming - I'm terrible about remembering who sings what & what the songs are even called."

Thanks Allison. :) While it’s true that I do basically have the musical tastes of a pissed off 15 yr old boy (pantera, rage, fu manchu. You know, the classics,lol). I am by no means any kind of snob. If I like it, I listen to it. :)

I could seriously think up different stuff for ages. I’ve spent a small fortune at itunes. Soundtracks are super fun to make.

Oh wait! Don't forget the Violent Femmes. Or Biz Markie. Or Blondie. Hahaha. :)

caleymama
08-16-2007, 07:48 AM
DDs listen to just about everything we listen to, which between DH and I is quite varied.

Older DD has her own "Crazy" Mix on iTunes of songs she likes to groove to. Here's the list she helped us compile:

Crazy Train - Ozzy Osbourne (a long-time favorite of DDs)
Minnie the Moocher - Cab Calloway (they LOVE this one)
Joy to the World - Three Dog Night
Saturday Morning - The Chapin Sisters
Crazy - Gnarls Barkley
Oh Santa - Veggie Tales (from Silly Songs with Larry)
Walk Like an Egyptian - The Bangles (I could watch them dance to this all day!)
Sixteen Tons - Tennessee Ernie Ford
Bad to the Bone - George Thoroughgood & The Destroyers
Beverly Hills - Weezer (one of her faves)
Tennessee River - Alabama
I'm Gonna Catch You - Laurie Berkner
La Cucaracha - The Wiggles
Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da - The Beatles
Elmo's Rap Alphabet - Cast of Sesame Street
I Really Love to Dance - Laurie Berkner
Crazy Little Thing Called Love - Queen

DD1's favorite adult album is:
The Chapin Sisters Sing The Chapin Brothers - The Chapin Sisters

Sing Along with Putumayo is a fun album too - it's kids music folk/blues

DD1's favorite adult songs (off the top of my head, and aside from the above list):
Breathe (2AM)- Anna Nalick
32 Flavors - Ani DiFranco
Good Day Sunshine - The Beatles
Against the Wind - Bob Seger
Hit the Road Jack - Buster Pointdexter, etc.
When I'm Gone - Three Doors Down
Fishin in the Dark - Nitty Gritty Dirt Band
Down at the Twist and Shout - Mary Chapin Carpenter
Land Down Under - Men At Work
The Rascal King - The Mighty Mighty Bosstones
Sweet Caroline - Neil Diamond

. . . . of course this is all when we're not listening to The Backyardigans . . . ARGH!!

clc053103
08-16-2007, 08:44 AM
What no Barenaked Ladies fans?

These are some great suggestions- and certainly beats the Jacks Big Music Show season 1 collection! LOL!

1ceng1
08-16-2007, 10:11 AM
Beatles: All Together Now (has countingin it!), Piggies, Honey Pie, I want To Hold your Hand and anything else early Beatles
Rufus Wainwright: Foolish Love, April Fools (he's an acquired taste,even for adults, but he's great with the piano)
Oasis: DD loves Cast No Shadow and Don't Look Back in Anger
Ocean Colour Scene: Circle of Friends

brittone2
08-16-2007, 08:06 PM
DS loves, loves, loves Miles Davis.

He also likes latin music of any type. I just randomly pick things off of iTunes. He specifically requests latin music sometimes. I have some salsa type music on the iPod now that he enjoys.

Ditto bluegrass. The child loves anything w/ a banjo in it. We see live bluegrass bands quite a bit here in NC and he LOOOOOVES him some bluegrass.

I don't think he's met any classical he doesn't like either. That's what he requests in the car (the classical radio station).

We also like The Sound of Music soundtrack.

caleymama
08-17-2007, 09:04 AM
DD1 likes bluegrass also! Same love for the banjo too :)

zuzu
08-17-2007, 12:03 PM
Great suggestions -- I'll be digging through some old cds this weekend. :)

I just skimmed but didn't see any jazz recommended. Sarah loves Ella Fitzgerald, ald also enjoys listening to Ken Burns's Jazz Box Set.

I second the recommendation for Peter and the Wolf as a great way to introduce some of the instruments.

Melissa, mom to Sarah (5/03)

Sandra
08-17-2007, 02:30 PM
Here is my list:

Talking Heads: Psychokiller / Life During Wartime (toddlers in particular seem to like David Byrne)
R.E.M.: all of Document / Out of Time
Barenaked Ladies: When You Dream is the best baby song ever
BeauSoleil
Jimmy Cliff: You Can Get It If You Really Want It (6 YO DD's favorite song and not a bad motto to live by)
Barleyjuice: Wild Rover
Gailic Storm: Johnny Jump Up
Silly Wizard
They Might Be Giants: Istanbul (not Constantinople)
Squirrel Nut Zippers

My children seem particulalry fond of Irish/Scottish drinking songs!

gatorsmom
08-17-2007, 06:03 PM
What a great list!! I had to add ones that my kids seem to love to listen to.

Bangles- Walk Like an Egyptian (the boys love to try to do the Egyptian dance)

John Mellancamp - R.O.C.K. in the U.S.A.

Huey Lewis and the News- Heart of Rock n Roll, Back in Time, Hip to be Square

SmashMouth - I"m a Believer (the old Monkey's song)

Wham!- Wake Me Up before you Go-Go

Elton John- Don't Go Breakin My Heart - THIS is their all-time favorite. DH and I sing it as a duet and pretty soon the boys start in singing and dancing too. Too fun.

Lisa
Mom to Gator July 2003
And Cha-Cha July 2005
and surprise! twins due 11/07!

Alys the Cat
08-17-2007, 07:02 PM
Love this thread!

FWIW, I cannot say enough good things about the CD samplers in PASTE magazine (http://www.pastemagazine.com/). They have a great mix of new music across many genres -- alt rock, world, jazz, folk, etc. Keeps me from becoming a musical fuddy duddy. :)

Some cool stuff they've had recently:
The Cat Empire - "Sly"
Dolores O'Riordan - "Ordinary Days"
Cary Brothers - "Who You Are"
The Bad Plus - "1980 World Champion"
Sonya Kitchell - "Let Me Go"

I could go on forever...
I give gift subscriptions every chance I get! :)