PDA

View Full Version : Lead screening/testing

linsei
08-14-2007, 09:24 AM
In light of all the recalls, I'm seriously considering getting a test for lead on N. I did some research and I found something that said children should be screened at age 2. Perhaps they only test kids at high risk (ie: live in an older home). I'm quite positive that N has never been tested for lead.

Has anyone tested your dc for lead? It seems to make sense to me, especially in light of all the lead recalls. I'm seriously considering this, but I don't know if it warrants an extra visit to the ped. We just had a 3 year check up, and the 4 year check up seems to be a looonnngg way off.

Linda

http://b3.lilypie.com/64MSm4/.png[/img][/url]

And a new little Valentine to debut in February!

juliasmom05
08-14-2007, 09:29 AM
DD was tested for lead at one of her well visits. Can't remember which one, but definitely before 2.

Marci

JBaxter
08-14-2007, 10:09 AM
Nathan had one done at 3. Our office will do a finger stick up to 3yrs old after that they have to go to the lab and get a real blood draw from the arm.

momma_boo
08-14-2007, 10:17 AM
Our peds office does them at 9 months. I think if and when the test is done may be determined by state regulations.

Our older DD did have elevated lead levels but they did start to go down when she was about a year old. We suspect it was my parent's apartment - they lived in a crappy, old, disgusting apartment when dd was young and used to watch her for half a day every week - when she was crawling around a lot. They did move into a recently built apartment building when my younger dd was quite young, so her lead test was fine.

If it would make you feel better you can get their blood levels tested but it also sounds like it can be even more dangerous if they actually ingest a piece of toy/jewelery that is made of lead.

Corie
08-14-2007, 11:55 AM
My kids never had a Lead Screening done in Texas. It was not required
and I never thought to ask for one.

Here in Rhode Island, the lead screening is required. Both of my kids
had one at their last well-check visit.

cvanbrunt
08-14-2007, 12:23 PM
We live in a very old house and asked to have dd tested at either 9 or 12 months, I can't remember which. Her level barely registered so it gave us one less thing to worry about.

KBecks
08-14-2007, 12:29 PM
Our pedi does a lead test at 1 year. I had John and Alek tested a couple months ago given the Thomas lead paint and one of our recalled pieces had teeth marks on it. They both came back fine.

niccig
08-14-2007, 12:35 PM
DS had a check at 9 months, but other mum-friends here (Los Angeles) told me it was never mentioned to them. Maybe it depends on the ped. I had a questionnaire to fill out, and because of our older home (1940s) and DS habit to put EVERYTHING into his mouth, the dr. ordered the blood test. It was slightly higher than normal for our area, but still in normal range. The doctor explained it could have been from one exposure eg. eating dirt with lead dust in it from when house paint is sandblasted off.

I had it redone last month as the paint around our windows is now chipping (it was fine when he was 9 months old), and I was worried because of his higher test result. His levels are less now. I still need to get the paint on the windows tested - I can see older layers underneath and it is an older home.

If you do have the test, I would go for the blood draw from the vein rather than the finger test. We had the finger test at 9 months and they had to keep squeezing DS finger for several minutes to get enough blood, torture for DS and me. Second time around I insisted on the blood taken from the vein and the lab told me to come in when a certain technician was there as he's the best with kids. It was very very quick.

HTH

jenjenfirenjen
08-14-2007, 12:46 PM
We live in a 100 year old house so both my boys were tested around a year old. Luckily, Dex's bday coincided with the Thomas recall so I was able to put my mind at ease over that. Both boys were tested at a diagnostics center and had to have the blood drawn from their arm. It was pretty easy.

If you are concerned, I would just try calling your ped and asking for a script to have the blood drawn and the test done. May not need to actually go in for a visit.

DrSally
08-14-2007, 12:48 PM
I believe the lead test is in the battery for all 2 year olds, not just "at risk".

ETA: After reading the other posts, I guess it varies by state.

ajmom
08-14-2007, 01:04 PM
OK, not trying to hijack the thread, but I have a question... This may sound really dumb, but what good does it actually do to have a lead test done? It seems like it can only cause parents worry if the levels are too high. I would think it would be almost impossible to determine the source of the lead toxin. What would you do to lower the level, anyway? I think I would prefer to be blissfully ignorant...

o_mom
08-14-2007, 01:31 PM
A high lead level can be treated with chelation therapy. Additionally, it is many times easy to determine the source by testing paint in the house and the soil in the area. It can then be remediated by having all the lead paint and dust removed, windows replaced, etc.

You do not want to be ignorant as the effects of high lead levels are very serious and permanent.

We had our kids tested around 12 months after they started crawling because our house is older. It required a blood draw but was not a traumatic event or anything.

linsei
08-14-2007, 03:47 PM
I am concerned because of all of the toy recalls d/t lead paint. I think that if I had ds tested and his levels came back high, my first guess of the source would be the toys. Our house is newer, so I'm not really concerned with it coming from our home. My ds plays with his trains and puts his fingers in his mouth and he used to chew on some of his toys, so IMO the threat of lead poisoning is real. From what I understand, you can test items with a test kit. That would be a real pita, but I guess we would cross that bridge if we needed to.

Linda

maestramommy
08-14-2007, 04:15 PM
We had Dora tested for led at 18 months, after she peeled paint off the wall and we found some in her mouth. It came back negative. It's a very easy blood test, though it does involve sticking your LO with a needle in the vein.

ett
08-14-2007, 05:11 PM
We're in MA and DS had a lead test done at 1, 2, and 3 years.

linsei
08-14-2007, 08:20 PM
and they confirmed that he has not been tested because we did not have risk factors. The nurse said they have had some "panicked parents" have their children tested d/t the toy recalls, and there have not been any results come back elevated. They could test him, but it would be to ease my mind. She didn't encourage me to rush in to get him tested unless it would stop me from worrying.

Linda

punkrockmama
08-14-2007, 09:02 PM
Oh yes, there are things that can be done if lead levels come back elevated. Changes can be made in diet (iron rich foods help block the absorption of lead), environmental sources can be found and dealt with, and there's chelation therapy. Lead is nothing to fool around with.

I called our ped when the Thomas thing happened and asked if it was a good idea to go ahead and test 'em. He wanted them both done. They were fine (whew). It isn't something he usually checks for.

hobokenmom
08-15-2007, 06:23 AM
My son is going to attend a state-funded preschool here in NJ, (similar to Headstart) and lead-testing was a requirement for the program.

We had to go to a lab and have blood drawn, but it wasn't such a big deal.

niccig
08-15-2007, 03:23 PM
I called our local Health Department when I was concerned about DS's lead levels. The person on the phone was insistent about testing as even levels, that are within normal range can have neurological and behavioural affects. He told me that a level of 10 was too high, but in our area, the health department only steps in when the level is 15 because of funding, but levels under 10 can have an affect on kids health.

If you fall into any of the risk catergories, get your kids tested as there are things that can be done to remove the lead so they're don't have continual exposure and therefore higher levels, and treatments to reduce the lead in the child's blood. Lead poisoning is PREVENTABLE.

There's more information here.
http://www.keepkidshealthy.com/WELCOME/lead/lead_poisoning_update.html

This is timely reminder for me to get an inspector in to test the pain around my windows - each state has certified lead inspectors. DS's level is now low, but you never know.

Nicci

dogmom
08-16-2007, 01:17 AM
Our state require lead testing by year one.

I hnow some one (years ago) who had their house de-leaded (it was an old Victorian), but their daughter had elevated levels of lead. It was found in their soil. She got the therapy and was fine. They took extra care with their second daughter about not playing outside in the dirt and she did not test positive for elevated levels.

Jeanne
Mom to Harvey
1/16/03
& Eve 6/18/06