PDA

View Full Version : OT - PT employment/vacation benefits

lovin2shop
08-15-2007, 10:39 AM
Can anyone help me out with a work HR issue? Is it common for Part Time positions to offer vacation benefits accrued based on how many hours you work? I'm trying to figure out what we should be offering at my company. If it matters, the jobs are blue collar, there are only a couple of positions and we do not usually have difficulty filling them. But, we have previously offered vacation, so I'm not sure if that made the pay above average and a deciding factor.

clc053103
08-15-2007, 11:30 AM
I work part time (20 hours) for a large company. I accrue vacation based on the number of hours I work. So- if a full timer accrues 4 hours a week of vaca, I would accrue 2.

As a side note- I also am eligible for benefits, but I pay a higher part time employee rate.

HTH!

Fairy
08-15-2007, 03:23 PM
I'm 60% at a very large business services company. I do not get paid for holidays, I have to take them off as PTO. However, I acrue more PTO than full timers to help offset that. I don't know how much I acrue each pay period, but because I've been with the firm for the maiximum amount of PTO, I get 5.5 weeks a year off total PTO, even tho I'm PT. Full Time and PT are the same PTO, it's based on length of service, which I think is more fair. I pay the same for benefits as everyone else, and I get the same profit sharing, etc. But I earnless percentage wise cuz I'm making less at the outset.

aa2mama
08-15-2007, 06:23 PM
I work 20 hrs a week and am eligible for 1/2 benefits (including vacation and holidays). Employees working 30 to 39 hours a week at my company are eligible for 3/4 benefits.

shilo
08-15-2007, 07:34 PM
the company i worked FT for before DS and work perdiem for now offers vaca, sick and holiday benefits to it's regular PT ee's, but not med/dental/life ins. etc. the vac/sick time accrues only in pay periods where the ee works at least 17 hours i think, and they were supposed to be averaging closer to 20hrs IIRC. it accrues on a decimal system hourly (multiply the decimal by # hours worked in the pay period, and you get the vaca/sick time accrued for that pay period). same decimal schedule as FT ee's, which is based on years of service with the company - so if you've been with the company for 5 years, you accrue vacation at a higher rate than someone who just started with the company. holiday's were paid out as 1/2 days for the same number of scheduled holidays/yr as FT ee's. this was only the plan for the therapy part (licensed professionals if it matters) of the company, which has it's own payroll and benefits schedule.

also, fwiw, this was always sited as a reason by the operations people to not be at the top of the hourly rate offerings for our area, but rarely did it actually work out to the company's advantage when i was managing for them. therapist's in all three disciplines are in short supply in our area of the country, and cost of living is very high. so honestly, given that they have their choice of jobs, most go for the higher dollar amt (hourly rate) rather than other types of compensation/incentives (like vaca/sick/con ed/work environment, etc). personally, i'm a lot more interested in the work environment, the colleages i'll be working with, benefits etc, but i can tell you in my hiring/managing experiece those things don't rate over the bottom line (hourly rate) for more than about 20% of ee's in my industry/area. i have no idea if it would be a swaying factor in a blue collar sector job, hopefully, someone with more experience with that will chime in for you.

hth, lori
Sam 5/19/05 How lucky I am that you chose me.

dhano923
08-17-2007, 01:12 AM
I do HR for our company. Our policy is that PTers get paid holidays (we do 6 a year) but no sick pay, vacation pay, or 401K. We only have 1-2 PTers at a time, if that -- we prefer FTers. Prorated sick/vacation time is fairly common at companies that have a larger percentage of PTers, and I think even more common at larger corporations.

Twin Mom
08-17-2007, 08:20 AM
I work PT and my vacation is prorated based on my 60% schedule. I get paid for holidays that fall on my regularly scheduled workdays. I am eligible for all the same benefits as FTers but for Medical and Dental I do have to pay way more. That's why I'm covered under DH's plans.