PDA

View Full Version : Question for doctor mamas- update

LarsMal
08-15-2007, 10:57 AM
Thanks for the helpful tips/info! I went to the allergist yesterday. She didn't do any skin tests- she didn't seem to think it is related to food. What she did do, though, which neither of the derms I've seen have done, is a scratch test on my face. She basically scraped some skin cells off and took it to the lab. Within about five minutes I found out what's on my face is FUNGAL!! EWWW...so gross, and it's been there for four months now, but at least I finally know what it is! She put me on an antibiotic and Lamisil. She said it could take up to a month for it to clear up. Still not sure what's on my body, but I go back to the derm tomorrow.

One mystery down, one to go!

Just wanted to see if any of you dr mamas out there (or maybe someone else has BTDT) might be able to give me some input/insight on my ongoing skin issues.

A little history:
*I have been EBF DD for almost 8 months now
*I have not been good at all about taking my prenatal vitamin while BF
*My diet has been less than stellar lately (why do I give DS healthy foods and not eat them myself?!)
*About three months ago I got a little red spot below my right eye. Over the past several months it has continued to spread and now I also have one under my left eye, above my lip and a small one on my cheek. They are red, dry, and itchy at times.
*Over the past couple weeks I developed a rash that goes down both of my arms, some on my chest, and little on my neck.

I've been to two derms. The latest one has me on a steroid treatment 2x's a day and a different med for my face.

Any insight or advice any of you have is greatly appreciated.

tny915
08-15-2007, 02:56 PM
Hi,
I don't have a lot of advice, but I can share my experience.

I've had a recurring rash on my lower scalp for years and years. Some years are better than others. I can go for months with nothing and then it'll suddenly appear and just as suddenly disappear. Sometimes stress is a trigger, sometimes changing weather does it. This rash has a tendency to migrate down to my back.

After DD was born, my rash got progressively worse and spread to my arms and hands, where it had never ever been before. It turned out that the stress of taking care of DD caused the rash to flare up, and I'm the one that caused it to worsen. During those long days and sleepless nights I was scratching without really realizing it, and I spread the rash to other parts of my body. Just a little bit of scratching can go a long way -- I typically just have about a 1x2 inch section of my scalp with this rash, and in the past it's spread to cover my entire lower back.

I was prescribed a steroid cream that helped a bit, but what really helped to heal was to just stop scratching. In case this makes you feel better, I've been told by numerous derms and my OB that steroids are safe for pregnant and nursing moms.

Is there any possibility that you somehow spread the rash on your face to your torso? Could the rash be stress-related?

Good luck with this. It can't hurt to see everyone you're allowed to under your medical plan, until you get the answers you want. I saw my OB, and she referred me to a derm. I've also seen quite a few derms on my own and talked to my PCP. So continue being proactive so you can rule out your worries and put your mind at ease.

DrSally
08-16-2007, 09:06 PM
I agree to see as many practicioners as you are allowed to deal with this. If you can avoid weaning, that would be great. What are the derms actually calling it? Eczema? Have you tried: eliminating all skin products with fragrance, laundry detergent with frag, wear all cotton clothing, don't use dryer sheets, etc.

dr mom
08-17-2007, 08:01 AM
I don't think use of topical steroids is necessarily a reason to wean. If you and DD want to continue your nursing relationship, then by all means, keep nursing on demand. If you are prone to skin rashes, she may have inherited that from you, and you may discover that she has allergies to formula or foods when you try to replace breastmilk and she breaks out in a rash of her own.

I'm not a dermatologist, but there are many skin conditions (and eczema is a very common one) that improve with moisturizing. I'm not talking about using a little bit of lotion - but rather, when you get out of the bath or shower, cover your body with a layer of vaseline ointment to lock in the moisture, and wear loose comfortable cotton clothes.

A few other things you might try:

Avoid products that contain fragrance or dyes, which can provoke allergic reactions.
Use cool or warm water to bathe or shower; avoid hot water.
Try switching to a gentler detergent (All Free & Clear is easy to find in mainstream grocery stores) and do a second rinse cycle on your clothes.
Avoid cosmetics, perfumes, hair styling products that may be irritating your skin.
Wash your face at most twice a day, with cool water, very gently - absolutely no scrubbing. If you're feeling crunchy, you might try the oil control method (using a mix of olive oil and castor oil to gently cleanse and moisturize your skin) or use honey mixed with a small amount of baking soda to gently exfoliate the dry, irritated areas. Crush some oatmeal in the blender, and add it to your bath for an easy home-made oatmeal bath to soothe your skin.

Take your vitamins, try to eat a healthy diet of natural foods, and get plenty of rest (I know, not easy to do with little ones to take care of!) Oh, and plan to stay home for a few days...since you'll be covered in petroleum jelly, wearing no makeup, and smelling faintly of olive oil, you probably won't want to leave the house or entertain company. ;)