PDA

View Full Version : LarsMal - how'd the trip go?

Mommy Of A Little Angel
08-15-2007, 11:53 AM
I noticed you are back and I wanted to see how everything went. Did the car trip go smoothly? I hope you guys had a great time!

LarsMal
08-15-2007, 01:03 PM
We are back! Thank goodness!!!!!

It was definitely a "trip"- not a vacation! Overall things went well. It was nice to see DH's family, but it was really stressful.

The drive there took 10 hours. Neither of us could sleep while the other was driving. We got there a lot earlier than planned- 6 AM! Luckily the ranger guy at the gate of the state park let us in anyway. Our room at the inn wasn't ready so we just took another family member's room, hoping it was SIL's. Luckily it was. The kids did really well on the night drive, so they were ready to party when we got there! In a 36-hour period DH got a total of 1 hour of sleep and I got a 1/2 hour. NOT ONE person offered to watch the kids so we could go take a nap!

The reunion was fun and the ILs had a great time visiting with the kids. G-ma and G-pa threw DS an early b-day party when we got back to their house, which was nice. We then went to St. Louis for a few days. So incredibly hot! We went to a baseball game (night game, luckily) and then they wanted to go to the zoo the next day. We lasted all of an hour! His family just doesn't have much consideration for the kids, their schedules, or DS's allergies. I tried to roll with it, but it was really bugging me by the time we were ready to leave.

It took 15 hours to get home- yuck! We almost ran out of gas in the middle of nowhere, DS had an allergic reaction at a restaurant, and I got a speeding ticket an hour away from home (at almost 2 in the morning)! We rolled in at almost 3 AM-

I NEED A VACATION!!!!!! The kids are still pretty "off". DS doesn't want to sleep in his big boy bed, and DD has been waking up at night again. I guess they got used to sleeping in the same room with Mommy and Daddy.

(So maybe you shouldn't have asked! "Fine" was probably all you needed to hear! At least now I don't need to go post in the B!tching Post :-) )

Julie

Mommy Of A Little Angel
08-15-2007, 03:41 PM
Ahh Julie I can't believe it! I was really hoping that everything had gone just peachy! Makes me fear any long drives now. I can't imagine all of that! Luckily you all survived it. It bugs me a lot when family members don't think about kids, their schedules, their eating, etc. Hopefully you guys get back to normal there. Sorry to make you relive it! ;)

elaineandmichaelsmommy
08-15-2007, 05:38 PM
so sorry you had to be here during our heat wave. Seriously, if you ever come back through st.louis try the zoo again,we love it,just not during the summer. I really wish I'd noticed that you were coming through here. If you come through again when it's hot I'd recommend the magic house or the science center. Did the kids enjoy the game? Thank god it was at night, dh's cousin went to a day game and a picnic the next day at the age of 73 and now she's in the hospital-yikes! Glad your home, tell dh you need a day at the spa.. he he.

LarsMal
08-15-2007, 07:33 PM
They didn't even know the game was going on! I kept trying to show DS the field and the players, but he just wanted to look at everyone around us and climb in and out of every seat possible! DD's too young to enjoy it, but she did ham it up for everyone around us.

It was the ILs who pushed the zoo- idiots! They did mention the science center, but somehow we ended up at the zoo. It seemed really nice, and there was some shade, and we even went early. DH and I swear it warmed up 10 degrees between the car and the entrance! MIL and FIL had fun, but that was about it!

St. Louis is a great city, though. I'd love to go back when it's COOLER!

elaineandmichaelsmommy
08-16-2007, 01:26 AM
That's so funny that the kids weren't even intersted...ah kids. I wouldn't be suprised if it did warm 10 degrees on your walk depending on the time of day.
Like I said-the zoo is a great place in the spring,fall and even the warmer days in the winter-you can see the polar bears playing). But we steer clear of it in the summer. The transportation museum is great also in cooler weather, they have restored trains,passenger cars and engines. They even have the engine to an atchison topeka and sante fe. You can climb a staircase up to it and ring the bell. The kids love going but we only go if it's under 90 degrees outside.
But in the summer heat I will say the we are loyal customers of the magic house,science center and especially the local malls where there are indoor playgrounds. The poor folks who have to work close to them should get hazard pay.

punkrockmama
08-16-2007, 01:34 AM
Aww man, that sucks. Glad to hear you got back safe though. Sounds like you totally need a vacation from your "vacation". Blech.

I hope your DS is okay after that reaction. It must be tough to travel and then spend time with people that don't take important stuff with your kiddos seriously. Or even just consider their needs. People forget that they were all kids once too.

Here's to everything and everybody falling back into the ol' routine quickly!

Take it easy girlie. :)