PDA

View Full Version : A/C vs. the fan?

mama4jc
08-16-2007, 09:31 PM
We're trying to cut down our electricity bill and I was curious if anyone knew the answer to this question: does turning up the thermostat and using the ceiling fans more use less electricity? We have a pretty new A/C (2003), so I believe it's an energy star one. Thanks!!

miki
08-16-2007, 11:40 PM
I think it depends on what temp you have your themostat programmed for, what your summer heat is like, and how well your duct system is designed. For my house, I think using ceiling fans makes a big difference. When it's 100 degrees outside and doesn't cool down too much at night, which is how it's been lately, the AC would run non-stop 24 hours a day if I had it set down in the 70-75 range that many people use. Instead, the thermostats are never set lower than 80 degrees so it does cycle off and on during the day and we'll have a ceiling fan on in whichever room we're in. We'd be using a lot more electricity if the AC never cycled off than we're using with individual ceiling fans.

hillview
08-17-2007, 07:22 AM
Good article on CNN about energy cost savings (talks about cost of a fan).
http://www.cnn.com/2007/LIVING/homestyle/08/14/toh.beat.heat/index.html
HTH
/hillary

mama4jc
08-17-2007, 07:32 AM
Thanks for the replies - we'll hafta check out the article. We are currently in Florida and it's blazing hot!

Miki: To answer your question - We normally keep the thermostat at 78 but turned it up to 79 during the day and 80 at night, with fan use, if needed.

We welcome any other tips!