PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of switching from PC to a Mac - good idea?

KBecks
08-17-2007, 09:38 AM
My home computer is dying. I am thinking of switching to a Mac, and probably a Mac laptop. Our technician has a backup of our essential files, for which I am very thankful.

Can anyone reassure me if this is a decent idea? I think I would love a laptop, but I've never had one. I've only read good things about Macs but would like to hear a little more before heading to an Apple store.

Jenn98
08-17-2007, 10:15 AM
I LOVE my Macs. Love them to pieces. I have to work on a PC at work, but both of our home computers are Macs (one is a powerbook, aka a laptop). There is a learning curve since it is a little different than a PC, but it would be that way if you switched anything from one brand to another. Did you have specific questions about Macs?

Mommy Of A Little Angel
08-17-2007, 10:23 AM
I just got my first macbook and I love it so far. Sometimes things are too easy! It will definitely take some time to get used to. Oh, and any PC software you have you won't be able to use so you are going to need to buy new versions of things like Office, Photoshop, etc. Just keep that in mind because it can certainly add up.

Tondi G
08-17-2007, 11:35 AM
we switched about 6 months ago and while there are some differences that take some getting used to we LOVE our Mac!

Piglet
08-17-2007, 11:55 AM
Our computer is dying as well and we are having the same discussion in our family, but I just don't get it - how can someone LOVE a computer? I am not trying to be snarky. My DH comes from a Mac family, but has never been able to explain the love affair. I guess, for me, I use the computer for surfing the web and not much else. How can a Mac make that process any easier? DH uses a PC at work with no problem as do I. Am I missing something?

JenniferMC1971
08-17-2007, 12:12 PM
We switched about a year ago and I am glad we did. I like that Mac comes with iLife. I mostly use iPhoto and iTunes, but my DH loves to play with GarageBand and the other stuff. I can't explain the Mac love thing either, but I certainly like it a lot more than a PC. Once you get the hang of it, it's easier to use.

lmintzer
08-17-2007, 12:48 PM
Typing on a Mac Powerbook now, and love it!! This is our 3rd Mac laptop and our (maybe) 6th Mac. I've had Macs since the very early days of Macs in the 1980s. I've used PCs at various places of employment and would never do so at home.

I'm not a techno-loving girl in general (I don't have an iPod, my cell phone is very basic and doesn't surf the net, clean my house, etc.), but I DO love Macs! They are so user-friendly, and very reliable, and just so nicely designed. We have wireless, so we can tote the laptops anywhere. I use iPhoto for our all our digital photos, and iMovie to edit videos of our kids.

We get fantastic service from the Apple store. I don't think you'll regret owning a Mac!

KBecks
08-17-2007, 01:42 PM
I am mainly concerned about transferring all my PC stuff to Mac and it seems that is possible. I'm concerned about running some programs, but I think that will all work out too, since I can even run Windows on the Mac if needed (not that that's my goal, but it's reassuring.)

I am debating b/w desktop and laptop but I've wanted a laptop forever and think I will love toting it around the house, out in the backyard, etc.

I'm headed to the Apple store tomorrow and hope I run into a great salesperson who can talk me through all my hardware and software questions.

I also wonder if I should go for a basic model or do a Macbook pro.

What do you consider the lifespan of a computer?? I'm wondering how many years of performance I should estimate and evaluate.

kristine_elen
08-17-2007, 02:02 PM
We love our Macs. We have an iMac desktop, I have an iBook laptop and my husband has a new macbook (?) laptop. What I love about them is that they just work. They don't crash all the time and give you weird messages. Once you have one you'll be a convert. Most programs are mac-friendly. Get one that can burn DVDs!

Sandra
08-17-2007, 02:15 PM
We switched from PC to Mac about six years ago (after one too many crashes) and have never regretted it. I use a PC at work and have no problems with it there, but I work for the gov't and have a full tech support/IT office to rely on when problems occur. At home with the Mac problems just never occur. I have an office laptop (microsoft) so have never used the Mac version, but the desktops are great.

Good luck at the Macstore, I've always gotten good service from mine (No. VA).

Sandra

LD92599
08-17-2007, 03:16 PM
I'l write more that but definitely make the switch! I didn't read the other replies but you can't go wrong w/ an apple refurb. I just got (a few weeks ago) a MacBook Pro refurb and saved several hundred $$ - in turn I get applecare and upgrade the memory, 2 things I'd do anyway.

You can get the refurbs from store.apple.com and then scroll to the bottom right and you'll see the icon for saving $$!

Laura
Mom to Will

http://b4.lilypie.com/BhyBm5.png

kijip
08-17-2007, 08:22 PM
My PC at work is brand new. My MacBook Pro is brand new. In a week with my brand new top of the line PC I have more glitches, bugs and restarts than I have had in the 5 years I have owned 2 different Mac laptops (old, larger iBook and now the new replacement).

LD92599
08-17-2007, 09:50 PM
I would go w/ the pro:

Better Screen (Brighter maybe but better quality overall)
Metal/Aluminum Case vs white or black
Video Card is separate

Macs hold their value fairly well. I just sold my ibook (it's 18 months old, with apple care and upgraded memory) for $725. I only paid $1100 (plus the applecare though) so the return is fairly decent. In a few years your kids could use the macbook when you're ready for another one!

Laura
Mom to Will

KBecks
08-18-2007, 10:24 AM
Thanks, I was leaning more toward the mid-level white MacBook with the superdrive. I think you do have a good recommendation to do the refurbished route though. I wish I had more patience, I would love to have a new laptop in hand today.

Do you know if applecare goes void if I would add RAM on my own?

ilovetivo
08-18-2007, 09:40 PM
>Do you know if applecare goes void if I would add RAM on my
>own?

no it doesn't go void - dh used to wk there - we add RAM to our macs

KBecks
08-18-2007, 09:47 PM
Well, we decided to jump in with a refurb MacBook Pro. I'll be excited when it arrives.

LD92599
08-18-2007, 09:54 PM
Congrats! Apple is pretty quick to ship and their upgrades for shipping are cheap too!

Laura
Mom to Will