PDA

View Full Version : Starting a new daycare - transition strategies for the kids

momma_boo
08-17-2007, 10:26 AM
My girls have been going to a home daycare provider since they were 4 mos old but she is now retiring at the end of the month. I've found a "real" daycare center for them and they are starting right after Labor Day.

Any suggestions on how to make it a smooth transition? They are aware of the upcoming change (well, not sure how much the 2 yo really "gets" it) and I did take them to see the new place once. We couldn't actually go inside b/c they were playing outside when we visited, but they did play there for a little while (although my kids looked tiny - 1/3 of the kids are going to kindergarten, so they looked HUGE to me).

I am going to try to take them on Monday to see the inside and meet their new teachers again. I was thinking about making another separate visit the week after to set up their cubbies with their extra clothes, nap mat, etc.

Is there anything else I should do? My 4 yo is pretty excited, so I just hope it will be a good experience for her. My younger one will be the youngest one there since they normally start at 3, but do make exceptions once in a while (she'll be 2.5). She's actually used to being the youngest in their current setting w/ 7 other kids and has no problems.

Maybe I'm more nervous than they are. It'll be a major adjustment for me since we have to leave the house a little earlier and I'll need to start packing their meals for them for the first time.

ohiomom
08-17-2007, 09:20 PM
You might request setting up a formal "playdate" at the daycare center. We took DD twice -- 2 Thursday mornings just prior to her starting for about 2 hours. We believed it eased the transition a lot, but DD is a very social, outgoing child for the most part anyhow.