PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with a 2.5 yo STILL teething?

smzapalac
08-18-2007, 08:54 PM
My DD is 2.5 yo and is still teething. Anyone out there experiencing this because I feel like I am all alone when I talk with my friends? Any of you have any rememdies for teething? She is getting her top 2 year molars and is miserable. We took her into the urgent care facility today because she said she had a terrible ear ache in both ears. Doc took a look and said she doesn't have an ear infection, strep, or a virus. He thought it had to be her teething.

She puts everything in her mouth and chews on it like a 6 month old. We give her motrin and tylenol alternating each every 4 hrs. but it doesn't seem to make a dent in her pain. I keep telling myself 'this too shall pass.' But she is driving me to the funny farm. Any remedy recommendations would be appreciated. She won't eat, hardly sleeps, and is just plain miserable. Thanks!

megs4413
08-18-2007, 09:30 PM
have you tried popsicles or an amber teething necklace? anbesol?

my DD is still getting teeth at 28mos., but hasn't struggled too badly...she does get cranky with it still, though.

ilovetivo
08-18-2007, 09:33 PM
no advice, just hugs! If it continues, i'd see your ped or ped dentist. Maybe it;s teeth, but not teething. My dd is 31 1/2 mos and still has one 2yr molar left to come in.

ShanaMama
08-18-2007, 09:39 PM
Almost. DD is 26 mo & just starting to get her 2 year molars. Her incisors have been coming in for the past 3 months & everyone that I mention that to thinks there is something wrong. I am not the least bit concerned, they come when they come.
Ices work great for us. DD practically has them for breakfast, lunch & supper. I didn't want to keep giving her the junky ones so I bought the molds & make my own with juice. It's easy, cheap, not too unhealthy & DD loves them.

kcandz
08-18-2007, 10:32 PM
ditto on the ices, frozen bagels, that type of stuff. We used Highland teething tablets too. I don't know how well they worked, but DC loved the ritual of how often they needed to be taken. The distraction alone worked well.

Mine was a late teether too. It felt worse because DC could use words to describe pain.

s7714
08-18-2007, 11:58 PM
Mine is cutting in a couple molars right now too. I usually give her Hyland's tablets and they seem to take the edge off.

I agree with a PP about taking her in to see a dentist, especially if nothing seems to help ease her discomfort.

Jennifer
Mommy to
Miss Pure Energy 3/03
Miss Limit Tester 6/05

Our bones may be brittle, but our spirit is unbreakable.
Osteogenesis Imperfecta www.oif.org

scoop22
08-19-2007, 07:32 AM
ds turned two in july and just got his 12th tooth. we are now working on more. it takes alot of cold treats and patience. he drools so much. i figure as long as he is drinking and attempting to eat i am doing what i can. good luck i hope she gets through this soon!

http://b3.lilypie.com/Sd3bm4.png

elliput
08-19-2007, 08:54 AM
Oh my, YES! DD's two year molars started coming in about 5-6 weeks ago and it has been the worst teething experience we have had. She is cranky, runs a fever off and on, screams bloody murder when I wash or brush her hair, wants teethers, etc, etc, etc.

I wish I has some advice to offer, but we are following the same course as you. I am just hoping the teeth get settled in quickly.

rlu
08-19-2007, 06:53 PM
Yep, last month (39 months) DS seemed to be teething. Chewing on everything and shoving his fist way back into his mouth. He said his teeth hurt and he wanted teething tablets. When I asked his dentist at his 2 year appt last year if he was teething, the dentist said could teeth for years (hooray...) depending on when his teeth came in.

Sorry you are going through this. The teething now doesn't seem as intense as when he was younger, probably because he can tell me what he needs.

MaiseyDog
08-19-2007, 11:01 PM
I don't have any additional advice, but I wanted to let you know that I feel your pain. Up until a month ago DD (30 months) just had 12 teeth. She finally started cutting her bottom two incisors but since they aren't even half way in yet, I don't count them just yet. I feel like we've been dealing with teething issues forever, and at this point I'm just praying she'll be done getting baby teeth by elementary school.

Hope things get better for you all soon.

Margaret
Georgia 2/14/05

MaiseyDog
08-19-2007, 11:01 PM
I don't have any additional advice, but I wanted to let you know that I feel your pain. Up until a month ago DD (30 months) just had 12 teeth. She finally started cutting her bottom two incisors but since they aren't even half way in yet, I don't count them just yet. I feel like we've been dealing with teething issues forever, and at this point I'm just praying she'll be done getting baby teeth by elementary school.

Hope things get better for you all soon.

Margaret
Georgia 2/14/05

newnana
08-20-2007, 08:47 AM
The round teethers won't do her any good because she can't get them back far enough. Try the Gerber Orbiteethers because they can work them all the way back:
http://perfectlysafe.stores.yahoo.net/77356.html

Also, DD liked using the gerber lil dippers when she was working on molars. They were easy to hold and easy to get back to her molars. Definitely not their intended purpose, but they helped a lot:
http://www.gerber.com/prodcat?catid=572

DD hated popsicles because they would drip down her hand, but she loves frozen peas. Straight out of the freezer. They thaw quickly and really get the cold where she needed it.

She also liked a washcloth with just one end cold. She doesn't like her hands cold so wouldn't use most teethers that were cold all over. We discovered that wetting only one end of the washcloth really helped with this.

Good luck! Teething sucks.

newnana
08-20-2007, 08:47 AM
The round teethers won't do her any good because she can't get them back far enough. Try the Gerber Orbiteethers because they can work them all the way back:
http://perfectlysafe.stores.yahoo.net/77356.html

Also, DD liked using the gerber lil dippers when she was working on molars. They were easy to hold and easy to get back to her molars. Definitely not their intended purpose, but they helped a lot:
http://www.gerber.com/prodcat?catid=572

DD hated popsicles because they would drip down her hand, but she loves frozen peas. Straight out of the freezer. They thaw quickly and really get the cold where she needed it.

She also liked a washcloth with just one end cold. She doesn't like her hands cold so wouldn't use most teethers that were cold all over. We discovered that wetting only one end of the washcloth really helped with this.

Good luck! Teething sucks.

ilovetivo
08-20-2007, 08:57 AM
there's also My First Toothbrush - it helped for dd to massage the area. It's curved so it fits. They sell it all over i think
http://www.amazon.com/Babys-First-Toothbrush/dp/B000GKU7C0

ilovetivo
08-20-2007, 08:57 AM
there's also My First Toothbrush - it helped for dd to massage the area. It's curved so it fits. They sell it all over i think
http://www.amazon.com/Babys-First-Toothbrush/dp/B000GKU7C0

smzapalac
08-26-2007, 05:26 PM
Thanks for all of the advice and product recommendations. I am going to buy several of them and see what works. We ended up having to take our DD to the ER because she was in so much pain. ER doc told us to alternate motrin and tylenol every 4 hrs. for the pain and fever. Thought they would be through the gums in about 2 weeks. I am not holding my breath. She won't let me brush her teeth at all, so I am going to give the toothbrush recommendations a try. Thanks so much!