PDA

View Full Version : How to give a pill to a cat

jgriffin
08-19-2007, 12:07 PM
One of our cats just had a tooth extracted, so we've got a week's worth of antibiotics to give him, 2 pills a day. So far we've gotten 3 pills into him, but each time it's been a huge struggle. We tried the chicken flavor things that you wrap the pill in, but he just ate the chicken goop and spit out the pill (clever cat!)

I will take any and all advice! I hate torturing my cat! :(

trentsmom
08-19-2007, 01:16 PM
It's been years since I had to give pills to my cats, but let me see if I can explain how I did it.

First of all, I made sure I had the pill out and ready to go. Then I put the cat on the kitchen counter, facing to my right, since I'm right-handed. I placed my left hand around the head and tilted it back. I picked up the pill with my right hand, used my pinky to open the mouth by pressing down on the small front teeth. Now the cat's mouth is open. While still keeping my pinky on the bottom teeth, place (throw?) the pill in the mouth and then shut the mouth. I kept the cat's mouth shut until I knew the pill had been swallowed - blew in her face, massaged her neck.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

mudder17
08-19-2007, 07:07 PM
We've had to give many of our cats pills over the years and there is definitely an art to it. I can't do it by myself, but DH can usually do so. Sometimes a cat will be more resistant and it takes two of us. But what we basically do (if you're right-handed) is sit the cat up on the counter facing your right. Grab the scruff with your left and tilt the head back. Pry open the mouth with the right pinky and when the cat opens, toss the pill towards the back of their mouth and then close their mouth. If you've tossed it in the right place, most of the time it goes right down. But you can also do stuff like blow on its face, massage its throat, etc. If a cat is particularly ornery, you may have to wrap in a towel, but honestly, I think that's a lot more work than necessary and not necessarily that successful.

Good luck!

Eileen

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_amethyst_36m.gif

http://www.tickercentral.com/view/6wrn/5.png

http://www.tickercentral.com/view/6wrn/2.png

Marisa6826
08-19-2007, 08:06 PM
Try reading this:

http://pets.yahoo.com/blog/catbehavior/3171/easy-techniques-for-medicating-your-cat/

You can also ask your vet for a 'pill shooter'. It kind of looks like (sorry if this is TMI) one of those Monistat applicators, except that it's specifically for giving animals meds.

It's got a rubber end that fits around the end of the pill, with a long plunger. It was my absolute saving grace when we had to give our cat antipsych meds twice a day. He was taking them for behavioural issues, so you might imagine how the pill sessions went in our house. ;)

Good luck!

-m

Oh, and if you do manage to get the pill into the back of the cat's mouth, hold his mouth closed and blow VERY quickly into his face. He will reflexively swallow.

Marisa6826
08-19-2007, 08:06 PM
Try reading this:

http://pets.yahoo.com/blog/catbehavior/3171/easy-techniques-for-medicating-your-cat/

You can also ask your vet for a 'pill shooter'. It kind of looks like (sorry if this is TMI) one of those Monistat applicators, except that it's specifically for giving animals meds.

It's got a rubber end that fits around the end of the pill, with a long plunger. It was my absolute saving grace when we had to give our cat antipsych meds twice a day. He was taking them for behavioural issues, so you might imagine how the pill sessions went in our house. ;)

Good luck!

-m

Oh, and if you do manage to get the pill into the back of the cat's mouth, hold his mouth closed and blow VERY quickly into his face. He will reflexively swallow.

Fairy
08-19-2007, 08:14 PM
My one cat is a pushover, but the other one? Oy vey. They make pill poppers, which look like large rounded syringes. I definitely recommend that. You can also get empty capsules to put the pill in to make going down a little smoother and -- this is key -- tasteless. You should be able to get both of these things at the vet or maybe petsmart. Possibly even 1-800 petmeds. The kitchen counter thing? Also key.

There's a great Internet joke that's older than dirt about how to pill a cat. I first reaad it in '96 or so, and I remember laughing so loud that the other folks at work actually commented over the cube tops to get a grip. I was literally red faced and not breathing. I have to find it . . .

ETA --> Here it is. Put all fluids down before reading.

HOW TO PILL A CAT

1. Pick up cat and cradle it in the crook of your left arm as if holding a baby. Position right forefinger and thumb on each side of cat's mouth and gently apply pressure to cheeks while holding pill in right hand. As cat opens mouth, pop pill into mouth. Allow cat to close mouth and swallow.

2. Retrieve pill from floor and cat from behind sofa. Cradle cat gently in left arm and repeat process.

3. Retrieve cat from bedroom, pick up and throw soggy pill away.

4. Take new pill from foil wrap, cradle cat in left arm, holding rear paws tightly with left hand. Force jaws open and push pill to back of mouth with right forefinger. Hold mouth shut for count of ten.

5. Retrieve pill from goldfish bowl and cat from top of wardrobe. Call spouse in from garden.

6. Kneel on floor with cat wedged firmly between knees, hold front and rear paws. Ignore low growls emitted by cat. Get spouse to hold head firmly with one hand while forcing wooden ruler into cat's mouth. Drop pill down ruler and rub cat's throat vigorously.

7. Retrieve cat from curtain rail, get another pill out of foil wrap. Make note to buy new ruler and repair curtains. Carefully sweep up shattered figurines and vases from hearth and set on one side for gluing later.

8. Wrap cat in large towel and get spouse to lie on cat with head just visible from below armpit. Put pill in end of drinking straw, force mouth open with a pencil and blow into drinking straw.

9. Check label to make sure pill not harmful to humans, drink glass of water to take taste away. Apply Band-Aid to spouse's forearm and remove blood from carpet with cold water and soap.

10. Retrieve cat from neighbor’s shed. Get another pill. Place cat in cupboard and close door just enough so that head is showing. Force mouth open with dessert spoon. Flick pill down throat with plastic band.

11. Fetch screwdriver from garage and put cupboard door back on hinges. Apply cold compress to cheek and check records for date of last tetanus shot. Throw t-shirt away and fetch new one from bedroom.

12. Call fire department to retrieve cat from tree across road. Apologize to neighbor who crashed into fence while swerving to avoid cat. Take last pill from foil wrap.

13. Tie cat's front paws to rear paws with garden twine and bind tightly to leg of dining table. Find heavy duty pruning gloves from shed. Push pill into mouth followed by a large piece of fillet steak. Hold head vertically and pour 2 pints of water down throat to wash pill down.

14. Get spouse to drive you to emergency room. Sit quietly while doctor stitches fingers and forearms and removes pill from right eye. Call furniture shop on way home and order new dining table.

15. Arrange for ASPCA to collect cat and contact local pet shop to see if they have any hamsters.

HOW TO PILL A DOG

1. Wrap it in bacon.

Fairy
08-19-2007, 08:14 PM
My one cat is a pushover, but the other one? Oy vey. They make pill poppers, which look like large rounded syringes. I definitely recommend that. You can also get empty capsules to put the pill in to make going down a little smoother and -- this is key -- tasteless. You should be able to get both of these things at the vet or maybe petsmart. Possibly even 1-800 petmeds. The kitchen counter thing? Also key.

There's a great Internet joke that's older than dirt about how to pill a cat. I first reaad it in '96 or so, and I remember laughing so loud that the other folks at work actually commented over the cube tops to get a grip. I was literally red faced and not breathing. I have to find it . . .

ETA --> Here it is. Put all fluids down before reading.

HOW TO PILL A CAT

1. Pick up cat and cradle it in the crook of your left arm as if holding a baby. Position right forefinger and thumb on each side of cat's mouth and gently apply pressure to cheeks while holding pill in right hand. As cat opens mouth, pop pill into mouth. Allow cat to close mouth and swallow.

2. Retrieve pill from floor and cat from behind sofa. Cradle cat gently in left arm and repeat process.

3. Retrieve cat from bedroom, pick up and throw soggy pill away.

4. Take new pill from foil wrap, cradle cat in left arm, holding rear paws tightly with left hand. Force jaws open and push pill to back of mouth with right forefinger. Hold mouth shut for count of ten.

5. Retrieve pill from goldfish bowl and cat from top of wardrobe. Call spouse in from garden.

6. Kneel on floor with cat wedged firmly between knees, hold front and rear paws. Ignore low growls emitted by cat. Get spouse to hold head firmly with one hand while forcing wooden ruler into cat's mouth. Drop pill down ruler and rub cat's throat vigorously.

7. Retrieve cat from curtain rail, get another pill out of foil wrap. Make note to buy new ruler and repair curtains. Carefully sweep up shattered figurines and vases from hearth and set on one side for gluing later.

8. Wrap cat in large towel and get spouse to lie on cat with head just visible from below armpit. Put pill in end of drinking straw, force mouth open with a pencil and blow into drinking straw.

9. Check label to make sure pill not harmful to humans, drink glass of water to take taste away. Apply Band-Aid to spouse's forearm and remove blood from carpet with cold water and soap.

10. Retrieve cat from neighbor’s shed. Get another pill. Place cat in cupboard and close door just enough so that head is showing. Force mouth open with dessert spoon. Flick pill down throat with plastic band.

11. Fetch screwdriver from garage and put cupboard door back on hinges. Apply cold compress to cheek and check records for date of last tetanus shot. Throw t-shirt away and fetch new one from bedroom.

12. Call fire department to retrieve cat from tree across road. Apologize to neighbor who crashed into fence while swerving to avoid cat. Take last pill from foil wrap.

13. Tie cat's front paws to rear paws with garden twine and bind tightly to leg of dining table. Find heavy duty pruning gloves from shed. Push pill into mouth followed by a large piece of fillet steak. Hold head vertically and pour 2 pints of water down throat to wash pill down.

14. Get spouse to drive you to emergency room. Sit quietly while doctor stitches fingers and forearms and removes pill from right eye. Call furniture shop on way home and order new dining table.

15. Arrange for ASPCA to collect cat and contact local pet shop to see if they have any hamsters.

HOW TO PILL A DOG

1. Wrap it in bacon.

leslieu
08-19-2007, 09:10 PM
The easiest way I've found to give pills to my cats is: "Grinding" the pill, by grinding I mean placing the pill in a zip lock baggie on the counter and smashing it with a small sauce pan until it's almost powder-like. Then mixing the powder with a tablespoon (or a little more) of wet food and maybe a tiny bit of water so the powder mixes in better.

I've tried giving the pill the way the pp mentioned but I've only been successful a few times.

HTH

leslieu
08-19-2007, 09:10 PM
The easiest way I've found to give pills to my cats is: "Grinding" the pill, by grinding I mean placing the pill in a zip lock baggie on the counter and smashing it with a small sauce pan until it's almost powder-like. Then mixing the powder with a tablespoon (or a little more) of wet food and maybe a tiny bit of water so the powder mixes in better.

I've tried giving the pill the way the pp mentioned but I've only been successful a few times.

HTH

jgriffin
08-19-2007, 10:09 PM
Thanks, we'll see how it goes this week! I was pretty sure they made syringe-like things, but they didn't have it at the pet store I went to yesterday. And thanks Fairy for posting that; I had read it a long time ago and was trying to describe it to DH (and doing a poor job of it). Maybe it will cheer him up after tonight's attempt (he crushed the pill and mixed it with tuna, don't know if it's a success or not yet).

jgriffin
08-19-2007, 10:09 PM
Thanks, we'll see how it goes this week! I was pretty sure they made syringe-like things, but they didn't have it at the pet store I went to yesterday. And thanks Fairy for posting that; I had read it a long time ago and was trying to describe it to DH (and doing a poor job of it). Maybe it will cheer him up after tonight's attempt (he crushed the pill and mixed it with tuna, don't know if it's a success or not yet).

caheinz
08-19-2007, 10:51 PM
This is one of our cats. We usually gave up somewhere around step 6 (minus the ruler).

We will NOT EVER agree to give him a pill-form of medicine EVER again.

As far as what does work, can you open or break up (mash) the pill and mix it into a small amount of tuna "juice" (the liquid from a can of tuna)? That's worked much better for us...

caheinz
08-19-2007, 10:51 PM
This is one of our cats. We usually gave up somewhere around step 6 (minus the ruler).

We will NOT EVER agree to give him a pill-form of medicine EVER again.

As far as what does work, can you open or break up (mash) the pill and mix it into a small amount of tuna "juice" (the liquid from a can of tuna)? That's worked much better for us...

Marisa6826
08-19-2007, 11:44 PM
Here ya go. I order from this place all the time and the turnaround is usually pretty quick. You can also try either your regular vet, or one of those 'emergency' vet clinics. You know - the ones that require you to sign away your firstborn in lieu of payment. ;)

http://entirelypets.com/pillgun.html

-m

Marisa6826
08-19-2007, 11:44 PM
Here ya go. I order from this place all the time and the turnaround is usually pretty quick. You can also try either your regular vet, or one of those 'emergency' vet clinics. You know - the ones that require you to sign away your firstborn in lieu of payment. ;)

http://entirelypets.com/pillgun.html

-m

Kyras mom
08-20-2007, 01:47 AM
My favorite tricks for pilling the hard-to-pill cats are: holding the scruff and lift front legs off of table. Point cat's nose as straight up as possible, then drop pill into mouth so pill lands on BACK of tongue (less likely to spit it out), then follow up quickly with a little water from a syringe to wash it down. Pillers are also a must for the tricky ones.

Good Luck!

Kyras mom
08-20-2007, 01:47 AM
My favorite tricks for pilling the hard-to-pill cats are: holding the scruff and lift front legs off of table. Point cat's nose as straight up as possible, then drop pill into mouth so pill lands on BACK of tongue (less likely to spit it out), then follow up quickly with a little water from a syringe to wash it down. Pillers are also a must for the tricky ones.

Good Luck!

Radosti
08-20-2007, 08:18 AM
For my own cats and dogs, I tilt their heads back, squeeze the jaws on both sides while holding the head motionless with one hand, and pry the jaws open with the other hand. The squeezing holds the jaws open once they are open, then I simply shove the pill as far back as I can, let the cat close it's mouth, then hold the mouth shut while rubbing it's throat.

For ferals, I simply crush the pill, and mix it with the stinkiest wet food I can find. Then, give that as the only food option to the cat. They always eat it.

My son on the other hand will only take Amoxicillin, Tylenol and Motrin. He also likes those decongestant dissolving strips. If the doctor decides to give him a different antibiotic, I'm in trouble. For his last ear infection, I even had my neighbor who is a senior emergency nurse at CHOP come over and give it a try. He is simply too good at closing off his throat and remaining calm. NOTHING goes down. I finally asked the doctor for the pill version and pilled him like a cat. What can I say... when you've exhausted all other options, time to fall back on the tried and true methods.

Radosti
08-20-2007, 08:18 AM
For my own cats and dogs, I tilt their heads back, squeeze the jaws on both sides while holding the head motionless with one hand, and pry the jaws open with the other hand. The squeezing holds the jaws open once they are open, then I simply shove the pill as far back as I can, let the cat close it's mouth, then hold the mouth shut while rubbing it's throat.

For ferals, I simply crush the pill, and mix it with the stinkiest wet food I can find. Then, give that as the only food option to the cat. They always eat it.

My son on the other hand will only take Amoxicillin, Tylenol and Motrin. He also likes those decongestant dissolving strips. If the doctor decides to give him a different antibiotic, I'm in trouble. For his last ear infection, I even had my neighbor who is a senior emergency nurse at CHOP come over and give it a try. He is simply too good at closing off his throat and remaining calm. NOTHING goes down. I finally asked the doctor for the pill version and pilled him like a cat. What can I say... when you've exhausted all other options, time to fall back on the tried and true methods.

Marisa6826
08-20-2007, 08:42 AM
OK, I know it's not supposed to be funny, but I got a visual of you 'pilling' Aaron like a cat, and it's just cracking me up. ;)

-m

Marisa6826
08-20-2007, 08:42 AM
OK, I know it's not supposed to be funny, but I got a visual of you 'pilling' Aaron like a cat, and it's just cracking me up. ;)

-m

jgriffin
08-20-2007, 10:02 AM
Neither DH nor I have had much luck getting his mouth open after the first couple of times. Frito is nearly 20lbs and very strong. He ate about half the tuna last night, so presumably he got *some* of the antibiotic. Of course our other cat was very interested in the tuna, so we took turns guarding it from her, I'll be on the search for a pill popper thingy today!

jgriffin
08-20-2007, 10:02 AM
Neither DH nor I have had much luck getting his mouth open after the first couple of times. Frito is nearly 20lbs and very strong. He ate about half the tuna last night, so presumably he got *some* of the antibiotic. Of course our other cat was very interested in the tuna, so we took turns guarding it from her, I'll be on the search for a pill popper thingy today!

Marisa6826
08-20-2007, 05:39 PM
LOL. What a great name! Is he an orange tom (my absolute fave kitty cat colour)?

-m

jgriffin
08-20-2007, 05:52 PM
Yep, he is! When DH played NetHack in college Frito was always the name of his pet (no idea why, it just was). So it seemed an obvious choice for a friendly orange tomcat. :)

Bought a pill-popper (syringe-like device) this afternoon, but I haven't tried yet....

MommyAllison
08-20-2007, 09:26 PM
LOL! I have read similar jokes before but that is by far the best I've ever seen. I had to try to contain myself since DH is napping but it was not easy. :)

Allison
Mama to DD 11/05

jgriffin
08-20-2007, 09:51 PM
>We will NOT EVER agree to give him a pill-form of medicine
>EVER again.

Why do vets even prescribe pills for cats, anyway? Surely they must know that giving them to a cat is not trivial!