PDA

View Full Version : Tumblebus or ABC Music and Me (Kindermusik) anyone?

octmom
08-20-2007, 09:37 AM
DS started a new preschool today and he is doing the extended day program, which means early drop-off and afternoon care until DH or I picks him up after work. For the extended day kids, the preschool brings in outside vendors to offer optional programs including computers, creative writing, ABC Music & Me (A Kindermusik program), and Tumblebus. These programs meet once a week in the afternooon. It is completely optional, and kids are on the playground or playing in the classrooms if they are not doing one of the extra programs. The playground is really great, so I don't think that DS would feel like he was missing anything by not doing something that some others were doing.

I was thinking about signing up DS for one of the extras this session to start. He loves music and, like most kids his age, he loves anything that keeps him moving. Have any of you done Tumblebus or ABC Music & Me? What did you think? I know a lot depends on the instructor, but I'd appreciate anything you could tell me that you liked or disliked about either program.

Jerilyn
DS, 10/03
DD, 3/06

octmom
08-20-2007, 09:37 AM
DS started a new preschool today and he is doing the extended day program, which means early drop-off and afternoon care until DH or I picks him up after work. For the extended day kids, the preschool brings in outside vendors to offer optional programs including computers, creative writing, ABC Music & Me (A Kindermusik program), and Tumblebus. These programs meet once a week in the afternooon. It is completely optional, and kids are on the playground or playing in the classrooms if they are not doing one of the extra programs. The playground is really great, so I don't think that DS would feel like he was missing anything by not doing something that some others were doing.

I was thinking about signing up DS for one of the extras this session to start. He loves music and, like most kids his age, he loves anything that keeps him moving. Have any of you done Tumblebus or ABC Music & Me? What did you think? I know a lot depends on the instructor, but I'd appreciate anything you could tell me that you liked or disliked about either program.

Jerilyn
DS, 10/03
DD, 3/06

lfp2n
08-20-2007, 11:28 AM
Hi Jerilyn

DD has Tumblebus at her school (likely the same franchise). They started it in the winter when it was harder to go outside and it seemed like a good idea. A lot of parents who didn't want to sign up got a little irritated as of course all the kids wanted to go when they saw their friends leaving the classroom, so everyone had to sign up.

She liked it at first (although she did get kicked in the face a couple of times and I complained as it didn't seem like they were supervising them on ladders) but lately she doesn't seem interested and in fact last time refused to leave the classroom and go at all, even though I'd paid. I think that after a few months the novelty has worn off and its kind of boring as there is a limit to the things and equipment that you can do in a school bus. DD told me the only good part was the gummi bear at the end! I'm going to stop for a bit and maybe sign up again in the winter.

I'd probably give it a try, but I don't think its that great there just isn't really enough space on the bus.

Lucy

DD 3/03

octmom
08-20-2007, 01:32 PM
Thanks, Lucy! Good to know. Since I was thinking about just signing him up for one thing to start, maybe we'll do music first. If he starts acting like he wants to do Tumblebus because other kids are doing it, I can always sign him up for the next session. Saving it for the wintertime is not a bad idea, since there are more likely to be days when he can't stay on the playground as long as in the fall.

Hope you are well! I think we are going to get back into the Sunday swim lesson groove after some time off from it. I'll look for you if we manage to get registered!

Jerilyn
DS, 10/03
DD, 3/06

lilycat88
08-20-2007, 08:19 PM
I can't speak to the Music & Me program yet. DD is 3 has been in Kindermusik since she was about 15 months old and we're getting ready to try the Music & Me curriculum at her preschool this semester. We've gone back and forth with whether to go with preschool program or stick with the progression she's been in for the last 2 years. After talking with her past teachers about the Music & Me program, we decided to give it a try. Her Kindermusik teacher said it's a great curriculum.

octmom
08-21-2007, 05:49 AM
Thanks! I think we are going to try Music & Me too.

Jerilyn
DS, 10/03
DD, 3/06

emilys_mom
08-21-2007, 02:12 PM
We are going through this same dilemma on our side. Our preschool uses Opus One. Anyone had experience? For those who've done a music class before, do kids at around 2-2.5 get anything out of it?

DD loves to sing, we were just thinking if we could give her more time with music, she'd keep her fascination with it.